Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
MONROEVILLE , Alabama
Hooking to shore power with batteries removed?

I charge/maintain my new batteries on a Batteryminder trickle charger. I would like to connect the trailer to shore power to run a small marine dehumidifier/heater. Will it damage the converter if it isn't connected to the batteries? Or can someone suggest a convienient way to run a HD ext. cord outside to an outlet in my shed?

Old 06-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
In general the modern converters are considered safe to run without a battery. Might want to check the owner's manual for the particular make and model of converter you have just to be sure.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
If you are concerned, you could unplug or switch off the breaker to the converter.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTAILGATER View Post
I charge/maintain my new batteries on a Batteryminder trickle charger. I would like to connect the trailer to shore power to run a small marine dehumidifier/heater. Will it damage the converter if it isn't connected to the batteries? Or can someone suggest a convienient way to run a HD ext. cord outside to an outlet in my shed?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Depends on what electric you want to have available in the trailer while the batteries are disconnected.

If you turn off the convertor you will not have 12 VOLT available to run the lights, refrigerator, water pump, or vent fans. If this is OK go ahead and turn off the convertor.

However if you want the 12 volt system to be available I would not remove the batteries. While most convertors will work under this condition the batteries level out voltage as the load changes from the addition or subtraction of different fixtures. I would not remove the batteries and continue to use the trailer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
MONROEVILLE , Alabama
Thanks, when in this mode (storage in my shed) with dehumidifier running, I wouldn't be using anything. I may install a battery disconnect switch to isolate the battery while charging in the batteryminder and running the dehumidifier of off 110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Depends on what electric you want to have available in the trailer while the batteries are disconnected.

If you turn off the convertor you will not have 12 VOLT available to run the lights, refrigerator, water pump, or vent fans. If this is OK go ahead and turn off the convertor.

However if you want the 12 volt system to be available I would not remove the batteries. While most convertors will work under this condition the batteries level out voltage as the load changes from the addition or subtraction of different fixtures. I would not remove the batteries and continue to use the trailer.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Should work!

I have an Intellipower converter and have been using it for months with no battery installed. I have been camping for 10 days and have run all of the equipment including the furnace, since it was 19 degrees at night. No problemas at all.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
We are not saying it Can't Be Done but it is not recommended. The battery act as a load on the convertor and thus keeps the voltage from running away Too High. Higher DC voltage will shorten the life expectancy of light bulbs and may have a damaging effect on some components on control boards.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
You could fish a seperate power cord into the trailer just to run the dehumidifier during storage. I did this on a previous trailer and it worked out well. Just make sure the cord you use is heavy duty enough to carry the load.
Then you have no worries about the batteries, converter or switches.
Oh almost forgot, I found a spot under the back bumper that afforded me access into the inside of the trailer with very little drilling.