Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
austin , Texas
Hook up power at front and back?

I have a 1978 31 foot sovereign and I am in the process of rebuilding my airstream and I am re-doing some of the electrical systems. One thing has me confused. On the back in the bumper there is my electrical cord for hooking up at a rv site but there is also a plug and wire that runs from the bumper to the front of the airstream that I am assuming is for plugging in to a rv site from the front? It is basically an extension of the hook up in the back. Can I remove this? Can anyone tell me if this is a factory installed item and what reason would I have to want to keep it? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
firegreg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hook up power at front and back?

Greetings firegreg1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegreg1 View Post
I have a 1978 31 foot sovereign and I am in the process of rebuilding my airstream and I am re-doing some of the electrical systems. One thing has me confused. On the back in the bumper there is my electrical cord for hooking up at a rv site but there is also a plug and wire that runs from the bumper to the front of the airstream that I am assuming is for plugging in to a rv site from the front? It is basically an extension of the hook up in the back. Can I remove this? Can anyone tell me if this is a factory installed item and what reason would I have to want to keep it? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

This is speculation on my part, but it sounds like a setup that would allow the coach to be onnected to a generator in the pickup bed while the trailer is being towed . . . allowing air conditioner or other 120-Volt appliances to operate when the coach is being towed.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
My 2005 Classic has a plug up front and one in the rear. The list of options that came with it new list the front one as "Generator option" That's what I use it for. Don't have to unhook for an overnight stop somewhere with out power. Just plug the generator that I keep in the bed of the truck to the front plug and I have 120V AC power. My bed is over almost 31 ft to the rear so with both center bath doors closed I don't even here the gen.
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think new models have the same option the last poster has and you may have. There's a switch to prevent feeding shore and generator power at the same time. I'd leave it the way it is, but make sure the switch is there.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote