Old 05-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It appears the small wattage generators are DC generators and use a built in inverter to give AC. This may be because you do not have an excitation source for the windings, no battery.

When I think of an inverter it is just that a device to convert DC to AC and generally stepping up the voltage at the same time.

Well I tested my 1000. It shows OPEN GROUND at 120 volts output. But not a reverse polarity. If I test what one would assume the hot leg, the smaller prong, to chassis I see ac voltage. None from the larger prong to chassis ground.

The 4, 5, and 6 comments on this tread may shed light on the subject.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Reverse Polarity on Outlets

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Thank you all for helping me out with this issue. Since these generators are widely used with RVs, one would think that Honda would have given us all a heads-up! I appreciate everyone's input.

Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I also got that same error when I used my Honda 2000's with my 2013 Flying Cloud for the first time. I had an electirician look at it and he said the hot and neutral were reversed on the honda. He switched some wires and all workes well since...

I had previously used these Honda's on our SOB, and did not have any indication of a problem. So I have to conclude there is something about the Airstream that is more sensitive to how a generator is wired.
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #18
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Nothing to do with inverters. There's nothing special about inverter power that makes it different, grounding wise, than power from a stator coil.

It's all about bonding.

Neutral and ground are connected together (bonded) at various points in utility power systems. In North America it's at the transformer and, with some exceptions, at the service entrance to each building.

RVs aren't supposed to bond the neutral and ground. The neutral is supposed to float.

Some generators bond neutral and ground together at the generator. Some do not. There are safety advantages and disadvantages to doing it either way.

When the neutral floats and isn't bonded anywhere it isn't really a neutral any more. Ground voltage to neutral can be anywhere from 0-120. The voltage might be enough to light up one of those outlet checkers, or it might not.
To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Looking at the wiring diagram of the 2000i, it appears that both " hot" and "neutral" are isolated from ground. In conventional home wiring, which the tester is designed for, the "neutral" is connected to ground at the distribution panel. Further, the green wire ground is connected to a ground rod at the entrance panel. This references the "hot" to earth ground and creates the potential (no pun intended) for a shock hazard if hot and neutral are reversed. With the generator, there is no reference to earth ground unless you drive a ground rod and connect it to the ground terminal of the generator. The tester is detecting that the "neutral" wire and ground are not at the same potential. With the generator, this is not a problem since the neutral floats from ground.

And both the house supply and the generator put out 60 Hz alternating current. Neither are "RF" I.e Radio Frequency". Other than the fact of the floating neutral, the spectrum of the two waveforms are, at least to the first order, identical.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Honda EU2000i Hot/Neutral Reversed

With either an inverter or a generator the neutral and the ground never come together as they do in a main panel nearest the meter.

This causes the checking device show a fault.

When both the neutral and the line are isolated from ground, neutral and line are identical, and apparently, the way these devices are configured, they are incapable of differentiating a true fault from a false reading.
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #21
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The issue is that the detectors expect the neutral and the ground to come together, and with a properly wired generator or inverter, utilized in a properly wired trailer they never do.

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote