Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Honda EU2000i Generator - using with Airstream

I have some questions about using the Honda EU2000i generator with an Airstream.

• Can it power one of the AC units in an Airstream?

• Can it power the microwave oven?

• How long does it take the Honda to recharge the house batteries?

Any tips or tricks regarding using this inverter/generator are much appreciated.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Generally you need 2 eu2000 gennys for a 13.5 K AC. With a 15K AC 2 eu 2000s is questionable although I am sure some do.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
There are many existing threads on this subject...SEARCH.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
There are many existing threads on this subject...SEARCH.
Larry
As with most forums on a wide range of topics, almost every question that a new member can think of has probably been discussed over and over again, ad nauseum, in numerous threads, and can be found with searches.

If every time someone new asks a question and is told to "SEARCH", the forum becomes more of a "silent library", rather than a vibrant discussion group.

Having a new thread for people who are interesting in discussing previously discussed matters can be of interest so some members. Those who don't wish to participate don't need to even enter the thread.

So... if you wish to assist, by all means assist with information or links to previous discussions. To chime in, merely to say "SEARCH", isn't particularly helpful.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Short answers:

1. No.
2. Yes.
3. It depends on many factors. Could be minutes to hours.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

To disagree a bit, I participate every day on this forum and I get tired of seeing some things over and over with no new information.
Larry
Old 04-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
To disagree a bit, I participate every day on this forum and I get tired of seeing some things over and over with no new information.
Larry
If you are tired of seeing something you are not interested in, you always have the choice to simply skip the topic and go on to something else of greater interest to you. I do that all the time on forums... select threads you are interested in and ignore the rest. It works well and that way, just people who want to participate, do participate.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have found it necessary to use 2 2000 connected to run the AC and the heat pump. One can power the micro wave but this may require the refrig to be on propane especially if you are using other items.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Larry
That's the beauty of knowing what the topic is before clicking the link. You can decide if you are interested or not and participate or not. It's the readers choice.

I have quite a bit of experience with generators and clicked on this link to see if things have changed and maybe learn something new. This time I didn't.

But if shaker hadn't answered I would have. People were very nice to me when I joined the forum with my million newbie questions so I'm paying it back to all the new generations of newbies.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
A single Honda 2000 generator would probably power your microwave, but not the AC. The problem with the AC is that it requires a lot of juice when it is first turned on...more than a 2000 generator can provide. I have two Honda 2000 generators for that reason. One generator would definitely not power both your AC and microwave at the same time.

The battery recharge time depends on lots of variables. How far the battery is drained, the number of lights and other things that are on during the recharge process, the age of the battery, etc. I typically run a generator for an hour in the morning and an hour in the late afternoon to keep my battery charged. I observe the campground rules for the times it's ok to run my generator. I use only one generator to charge the battery (two generators don't speed the process at all).

Hope this helps a bit. There are some real experts on this subject who have responded to previous posts on the topic (as others have noted), but I'm happy to offer my 2-cents here to help answer your question.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

I do understand but I cannot understand why people will not take the time to use the search function, newbie or not. It seems inefficient to clutter up the forum with endless repeats. Some of us are subscribed to threads that are of interest with information that might change. It would seem logical that new information should go in an existing thread on the subject, not a brand new thread. Sorry, but I just reached a breaking point on this this time.

Larry
Old 04-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
There's a nifty device that allows your batteries to help with the startup load of an AC unit:

MSH-M Series Inverter/Charger - Magnum Energy, Inc.
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
I do understand but I cannot understand why people will not take the time to use the search function, newbie or not. It seems inefficient to clutter up the forum with endless repeats. Some of us are subscribed to threads that are of interest with information that might change. It would seem logical that new information should go in an existing thread on the subject, not a brand new thread. Sorry, but I just reached a breaking point on this this time.

Larry
Hi Larry, For your own sake. Don't go near the tire threads today!

Those are the threads I have to avoid.

Cheers

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
One 2000 will not power the microwave/convection oven installed in most a/s from the factory.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:

Larry
I'm not sure how keeping the forums pristine and devoid of discussion would assist people if the would just SEARCH. It takes discussion to bring out information. The problem with discussion is most often it is filled with opinion which makes it difficult for the inexperienced to find the details they need.

If only NEW information were allowed to be posted in a new thread, the forums would be not only un-cluttered, but they would essentially be a ghost town with maybe 100 threads. Now the natural tendency with people is they want to chime in with their opinions or experiences, so those few threads could grow to be several pages. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time reading page after page of a thread because it MIGHT contain the information I was seeking. Somewhere in the middle of all the responses contains what I put in my search terms, now I have to find it.

I'm sorry you reached your breaking point. I did not reply with any intention to insult you. I just found it ironic that you chose to reply, then complained about the clutter such topics bring.

That being said, there is little room for opinion regarding this topic as electrical theory is fairly well defined.

Mark
WL7NI
Subzero-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

I won't be baited any further today and I won't go look at tire threads today. Nor will I look at tow vehicle threads today. Maybe I will go fire up my 2k Yamaha and see if I can start air compressors, run electric grills, juicers, food processors, pants pressers, and steam dryers......

Larry
Old 04-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
I won't be baited any further today and I won't go look at tire threads today. Nor will I look at tow vehicle threads today. Maybe I will go fire up my 2k Yamaha and see if I can start air compressors, run electric grills, juicers, food processors, pants pressers, and steam dryers......

Larry
Hey Larry... this may be a great day to turn off your browser (AND your generator), have a nice stiff cocktail, relax and just watch the river flow.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
My thanks to those who were kind enough to take the time to answer my questions. I do appreciate it.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

I am going to spend the afternoon at a brewpub...away from the internet and phones.

Larry
Old 04-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #20
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
There's a nifty device that allows your batteries to help with the startup load of an AC unit:

MSH-M Series Inverter/Charger - Magnum Energy, Inc.
This sounds like an interesting device. If I understand correctly it could act as a 3 stage converter for charging the batteries, as well as boosting a start-up current when running a generator to power a microwave or AC. As a 3 stage charger would it work with AS single stage converter to stay connected on shore power without cooking the batteries?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote