Old 02-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #15

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have a pickup, and use a deer hoist with a swivel for loading the generator when I'm loading up alone. A 300lb-capacity deer hoist does fine with my Yamaha 3000, and I just don't unload the generator until I return home... I run it in the truck bed when needed, so I don't have to haul the hoist with me. Given it to do over again, I'd like to say I'd buy a pair of 2k generators instead but my Yamaha was a steal, a member of my unit was selling it to buy a BIGGER one (for powering tools while building a cabin) and I got it for about the price of a single 2k... and it's SO quiet.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
I use a homemade ramp and dolly and an electric winch to load up my crazy heavy 5th wheel hitch into the back of the pick up. One trip to harbor freight should do the trick to rig something similar up for your SUV.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb...nch-61672.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...two-60397.html

Old 02-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapesky View Post
thanks everyone - you are all very helpful and generous with your knowledge. I really appreciate it! I'll let you know how it goes. Beth
We carry a five gallon plastic gas can tightly strapped down behind the 30 lb AS propane bottles, sitting on top of the black gear box that is flush with the frame. Multiple black bungee cords keep it secure. I usually only fill it on the last fuel stop before hitting a non electric park. Our Champion 3500-4000 generator holds four gallons and is kept full. We also travel with a small Harbor Freight hand fuel pump which works well, just in case. Our Champion was inexpensive, reliable, and relatively quiet (67 d running). It weighs, with wheels, about 150 lbs full of fuel, which is too heavy for one person to lift, but so far my wife and I can get it up and in the back (for now!). The pulley and a ramp idea will probably be in our future.

1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Saint Lucie , Florida
Thanks again all for all the suggestions - I did do quite a bit of research previously and did see lots of the things you are using. Most are great ideas but many would not work since i do not have an open bed truck - it's the tailgate door and roof of the SUV that eliminate many simple hitch cranes unfortunately - So - this is what I settled on and I wanted to let you all know. I haven't tried it yet as it just arrived - but i'm hopeful. It wasn't cheap but wasn't as expensive as some other things. Either way I had to get this darn thing in my SUV. If I had it to do over I'd get 2 smaller units and piggy-back. (oh the mistakes of newbies). I'm sure I'll make many more. - like thinking I can push a 150 LB gen up a ramp. NOT. Anyhow - thanks again and hope to see you rolling along. Beth

link to what I purchased: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...390_em_1p_9_ti
Old 02-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Grapesky - Maybe you don't need to get it in the SUV. Have you considered mounting it on the roof. Goes on once when you start the trip and comes off when you get home. Concept would put some constraints on use, but maybe less than all of the hassle loading and unloading. It would require the installation of a set of roof rack bars if your SUV is not fitted with them, but a simple box cover would provide support and security, possibly another level of sound deadening, if designed correctly. And on top of the SUV would be a better location for fuel as well.

Your physical stature may make this idea problematic, but it might just be a solution if it is possible for you to access the generator in that location to fill, start, and check oil levels. Small ladder would be easier to transport that a crane and folks use them for the trailer as well.

Just a thought that came to mind driving down the road. Gues trailer challenges contribute to distracted driving just like cell phones. Drive Safe. Pat
Old 02-17-2016, 02:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
What I use... from Harbor Freight for low money (don't recall cost). Well, apparently I am over my photo quote, but it is a scissor lift from Harbor Freight that gets my Honda 3000 about 2 inches from my lift gate, and I just twist it in from there. Works like a champ.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I had some of time on my hands so my mind wondered a bit on this subject. Here's where it wondered.

I've thought of putting a tray on the front of the truck to carry the Yamaha 3000 gen.. By using a front hitch mount I could run the gen without having to leave the cap of my truck bed open during use and can leave the TV and trailer hooked together when we are at a rest area and want to take a short nap when it's 100F outside. The gen could run right where it's mounted on the front of the truck. Just attach the 30A cord from the gen to the front of the trailer.
I have found everything that is needed to do this online.
1. front hitch receiver (Etrailer) $130
2. Torklift gen tray called a Lock and Load (Etrailer) Torklift part number A7752 w/400#capacity $403
3. A Yamaha nylon cover for gen only when on the road about $35.
4. A Sears motorcycle lift on wheels to get gen up to the tray to shove it in place and lock it down (only needed before and after trip, no need to carry it in the truck). $90
If a person had 2 small 2000 gens I think you could do the same thing. Less the motorcycle lift.
Should work the same for an SUV too!
Old 03-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
Bluto, I did the same thing but for a single Honda 2000. I installed a front receiver hitch that I use for everything from a winch to bicycle rack to a small rack for the Honda 2000. I mainly use the front generator rack when I have a truck mounted camper, but have also used it when towing the Airstream. Works great.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Trailbob, I guess I'm not the first to think about it. Also happy that you have proved that it does work. I think I'll be ordering some parts of the set up pretty soon.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Mounting this Honda 2,000 watt generator locking plate to a tow bar adapter for the front of the truck would slow down the casual thief.

http://www.perfectcasita.com/ho20semosy.html

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I use 12 volt winch pur. on close out at Menards lumber for a song, mounted to front of cross bed tool box, 3/4 plywood with 2x3 on edge on top each side also keeps plywood from sagging, [keeps gen on ramp] winch in then slide ramp under soon as gen gets in bed then push all way in. Bed liner in bed makes sliding very easy w/out any lifting, [at my age 45 lbs. is a lot]. I some times leave in bed when running, also deters theft as I cable to side rails on top of bed.