Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
city , N/A
Send a message via AIM to cooney Send a message via Yahoo to cooney
High Voltage in Mexico

Greetings:

We are spending winter in Mexico, and, as warned, many (most?) of the Rv parks have 15 amp, or 15 amp with 30 amp fitting, and most of the voltages run in the 128 to 130 range, unless a heater/hot plate or such is running.

At what point should I be concerned that 128-130 voltage is a problem? I might add that I have a Surge Guard surge protector which is mounted at the mast, and we do not have a television. We also have a surge guard strip for the plug which charges the laptop. So the major concern, for me, is the refrigerator and the converter.

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way, the Surge Guard blocks the power when the voltage exceeds 132 for 8 seconds.

Thanks, and All the Best... Jeff Cooney
cooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I can't think of any ill effects of higher than normal voltage. Your converter will make the correct voltage for your 12 volt stuff. I am betting that your laptop supply is a multi-range device that will operate between 120 & 22o volts and between 50 to 60 hertz. These modern solid state power supplies are much more capable of dealing with ranges like that than just a transformer would be.
I am guessing that you will be just fine...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

holden beach , North Carolina
Send a message via MSN to Tom-Mc
voltage

I have a step down and step up tranformer. I have used in in mexico for 9 years. No problems just turn it up or down. I am renting a condo now and do not need it anymore.I am in mexico now until May . If you are interested in it then PM me.
Tom-Mc is offline   Reply With Quote