Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hidden wiring.

I have a 1970 Olverlander International with a ball type whip antenna mounted on the outside front roadside corner. It has speakers in the front inside corners, but no evidence of a radio. What does this antenna connect to?

Also on the curbside inside above a twin bed there is an outlet with one side of it being a recepticle for a 12v plug and the other side has a plugin with two small male prongs. What plugs into this?
Joe62984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Joe,
The plug over the bed is for a television. The two small holes are for the antenna wire. Not sure where the stereo was in the Overlander. Some of them were mounted in the center ovehead console at the front of the unit. Mine is in a tilt out cabinet on the roadside, right next to the sofa.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If my memory is correct, the radio on our 74 overlander was in a tilt out panel that looks like the arm of the sofa. We did not have that trailer for long, 18 months, so I don't have a firm memory. Most units that had the antenna had the stereo. If it is OEM it will also be an 8 Track player
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Brett,

Your memory is not so bad, my 74 Overlander had the stereo in a flip out at the front sofa and the antenna was somehow incorporated into the television antenna. It did not have the automotive style whip antenna. Maybe that denotes an aftermarket installation??

Joe,

What is your layout? Front sofa or the side lounge? Not sure on a 72 but maybe you have a stereo but just can't find it, the flip out on the side of the front sofa models as mentioned above really keeps it hidden. You should have rear speakers as well but they could have been surface mounted to the bukheads and removed by a perevious owner, look for the wiring.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hidden Wiring

Layout is with the front sofa. There are some tiny holes in the curbside wall adjacent to the sofa arm and about that height. It looks like there could have been a brackett or shelf there.

I cannnot find any rear speakers or anyplace where some could have been mounted.
Joe
Joe62984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:18 AM   #6

1969 27' Overlander
Lake Grove , New York
69 Overlander radio

My 69 Overlaner had an 8-track stereo mounted to the left of the "Contol Center" above the goucho bed in the front of the trailer. There was rg-58 coax with a motorolla type connector (common on car radios) running down to the streetside automotive whip antenna.

The front speaker location is obvios and easy to run wire to. The rear speakers were in the middle bedroom one mounted on the side wall above the bed and the other mounted on the bottom of an overhead console above a countertop.
jkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
If you have a "Control Panel" in the front of the trailer, take a look behind it. That's where you'll probably find the wires. My '72 had a pair for power/ground, and a pair each for front/rear/left/right speakers. Each pair was terminated in a polarized plug. If the unit had a radio and now it's gone, a prior owner probably tucked them away up there. Or, if it came wired, but without a radio (which was probably an expensive option back then!), they were probably pre-wired and they'll be up there. Either way, good luck!!!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote