Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Vero Beach , Florida
Help with electrical problem

I need some advice, here is the problem. I was unpluging to more to a different spot in my yard. The plug that goes into the AS was burnt (just one prong). It was burnt so bad that it was fused together. I had to wiggle it back and forth to get it unpluged. I have been using this plug and wire for about 3 years without a problem. I keep the AS plugged in when not traveling, I run the a/c at about 86" to keep any mold away and I run the frig also to keep beverages cold.
I will admit that I know very little about electric problems. I know enough to stay away and let someone that knows what to do fix it.
So, what do you think, power surge? Inverter gone bad? Short in wire?

Also the plug is a 50 amp and I use a adapeor to reduce to 30 amp. I hope that did not cause the problem.
The a/s is now dead when unpluged and it works when pluged back in?
I'm leaving it unpluged until I get it fixed.

HELP,,,

Thanks
Eric

Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
As with any plug/receptacle, the more it is plugged in and out, the receptacle spreads. This could cause a loose connection which in turn causes racking. Racking causes the metals to weld together or heat up so much that they melt or burn away.
To help prevent this, use a dielectric on the connections as well as each time it is plugged or unplugged try to pull as straight as possible with very little wiggling.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Where was the welding? At the 50 amp plug to the receptacle, the 30 amp to the 50 amp adapter or at the cord to the 30 amp adapter.

Which ever location was welded you want to replace that "Female" connection and clean up the "Male" connection that went into it.

The fact that only one leg welded says it was not a total current draw problem but rather a Bad connection at the point of the weld.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Sorry about my earlier replay. I have no idea how "arcking" was typed as racking.

HowieE and I seem to be on the same page. Cleaning up the male end can work but if it is pitted to much from the arcking, if may not fit tight and you have the same problem. Take a good look at it, it my be a good idea to replace it.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Vero Beach , Florida
Thanks for the reply, What about the fact that the trailer now does not work when unpluged, before this problem the trailer switched to batteries when unpluged and frig switched to propane. Now after the "weld" the trailer is dead without the shore power????

I will replace the cord and male plug on the trailer, but I think other damage is there also. Could it be as simple as a fuse or is the inverter cooked?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Exclamation Be Careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumaCave View Post

I will admit that I know very little about electric problems. I know enough to stay away and let someone that knows what to do fix it.

HELP,,,

Thanks
Eric
Hi Eric,

first of all,

I commend you for the statement that I quoted above.

It is excellent advice.

Now follow it.

There is apparently more than one thing going on, although it probably all originated with a poor connection in the plugs.

I would highly recommend that you get an electrician or RV repairman or friend who is familiar with RV electrical systems to help you with this. You can then follow them through the troubleshooting and learn about the systems while doing it.

Not only can you injure yourself, you can also damage the equipment in the trailer with one small wrong move.

It is not a good idea to mess around with high voltage electrical and electronic circuits unless you understand them thoroughly or have someone knowledgeable present with you. Some mistakes you can only make once.

Although someone can attempt to guide you through the process remotely, such as here on the forum, the chance of misunderstood communications causing a worse problem is real.

Just my opinion,

Ken
Old 11-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Eric,
I could not agree with ken more. However, With all power off, battery disconnected, replace the connections, matching colors, look for any blown fuses, is a simple fix most people can do. If things still don't work right call someone.
Tim
Old 11-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The fact that there is no power while disconnected from 120 volts AC indicates the battery is dead. Disconnect the negative side of the battery and check the battery voltage. If you do not have a volt meter just take a 12 volt bulb and a short piece of wire and jump the bulb across the battery. If the bulb lights to normal brightness it is not the battery. If dim or no light the battery is dead.

Don't worry about working with the battery and a bulb this is 12 volts DC.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote