Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
Retired Old Bill

1973 31' Excella 500
Clermont , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to tincanholiday
Help with a Smell - 1973 Excella 500

Hi there, having just returned from a 4 week trip from Florida to Maine. Gotta Love I-95. Two issues came up. My water pump stopped working in New Jersey and a smell developed in the area under the sink. The smell first arrived when i was parked for a few days in my uncles yard in Jersey - and then again when i returned home and parked in my yard. The smell is like rotten eggs or sulphur dioxide. It never appeared at any other time. The only common denominator is I am hooked to a gardern hose and household power on the two occasions the smell appeared. Could it be the battery???? - I have flushed the tanks and it does not seem to be them - Any Ideas would be welcomed. I will also be searching this site for guidance on the water pump replacement.
tincanholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Isn't your battery tray/box under the sink? If I reminder it right it is just aft of the door. I would disconnect form shore power and check the water level in the battery. I bet that the battery is toast, hence the smell.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:22 PM   #3
Retired Old Bill

1973 31' Excella 500
Clermont , Florida
Thanks - was not the battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Isn't your battery tray/box under the sink? If I reminder it right it is just aft of the door. I would disconnect form shore power and check the water level in the battery. I bet that the battery is toast, hence the smell.

That was sealed and in an outside compartment - I seemed to locate the smell to near the fuse panel under the sink, there was a motor running, which i am guessing is a fan - i noticed a plug under there so i unplugged it and the motor stopped, i then plugged it back in and the motor did not run, I am now leaning towards the assumption that the water pump failure and this are somehow connected. It may just be a coincidence that it was nopt an issue when we were plugged into 30 amps at campsites and into 15 at my uncles and home. what would I be doing if i didnt have these little problems.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:25 PM   #4
Retired Old Bill

1973 31' Excella 500
Clermont , Florida
Fuse Box - Fan Smell

I have discovered a smell which seems to come from the electric fan next to the fuses under the sink on my Excella 500 1973. It only occurs when the unit is hooked to the house electric. It does not happen when on battery or on campsite power. OK sounds strange I know, but has anyone had similar. the smell is sulphur dioxide.

Does the fan only work when its on low volt shore power, why didnt it smell on the 30 amps smell, is it on a thermostat - therefore when i had air conditioning running it didnt click on. so many questions.

I now have to replace the water pump, I am eagerly searching this site for a how to guide for my model. If anyone knows where it is located that will be a good start. I remember the pump making a whirring sound from somewhere undeer the sink, but all the plumbing stuff seems to be under the rear bunk, a mystery to me as i am not that technically minded, you may have already worked that out.