Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Unhappy Help with '64 Overlander fan & light wiring, please!

I tacked this on to someone else's thread but thought I might have a better response if I started my own.

I've had an electrician come by and try to figure out why none of these things are working:

new FanTastic fan in bath
old fan in kitchen ceiling
outside door light

The fuses and exposed wiring are all good... he figured maybe there was a damaged wire hidden somewhere, but how do we find it without tearing things apart? My girl is pretty "pristine" and I don't want to start ripping into her.

I guess I should have asked first... do these three things all run on the same wire?

And, I know this is unlikely, but is there any chance of finding a more detailed schematic than the one in the owner's manual?

Thanks loads.
wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Help with 64 Overlander fan & light wiring, please!

Chances are. The wiring. Runs in the ceiling, down the center.
Have you located the fuse which feeds the fan in the bath, dining area and outside light?
Have you done a "continuity" test on all three devices?
For example: Can you read continuity between the two fans?
How about between the old fan and the outside light? You would have to check this at the light switch. Unless the switch is turned on.
You could connect a battery charger to the power wire in the bathroom fan and see if the other devices work. If so. That wiring is OK.
Are these the glass fuses with the old style fuse holders?
Do you have 12 volts on the load side of all of the fuses in the fuse panel?
What color is the power wire at the new fan location?
Is that color visible at the fuse panel?
Did you find any blown fuses?
Did you replace any fuses?
Old fuses can slowly cook and become disconnected from their end cap enough to where they won't carry a load but read good with a meter.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

1966 17' Caravel
marquette , Michigan
using a voltmeter at each item will tell you if power is available or not. If no voltage present at each item, then yes they are related, and the search is on. Checking each item is easy, but finding the common cause if it is the case will be more involved.
MI66caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If the three devices are in the same circuit. And you don't have power to any of them.
It's a process of elimination.
A volt meter is useless if you don't have voltage.
I would start at the device closest to the fuse panel. Say the fan.
The fan, if connected to any other device will have 3 wires. The power coming in.
The power going out to the next device.
And the wire powering the fan.
If the device only has one power wire. That is the end of the circuit.
If you connect a battery charge to the power leads in one of the devices and everything works. You can eliminate the wiring between the devices as the problem.
You can also make the determination whether there are other devices connected to the same circuit.
Once you have determined which device is the one wired directly to the fuse panel. You can make sure that the wire going from the first device is good.
I would disconnect the battery and shore power connection. Which will shut down the converter.
Now you only have the battery charger as a power source.
Again; thru a process of elimination, you should be able to locate the problem.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks. I'm pretty sure he went through a lot of that stuff, but I'm anything but an electrician! What happens if we determine that the connection has broken somewhere in the wiring that runs through the ceiling? Maybe this is a dumb question but would we have to tear everything apart?
I do have a mouse problem and I know they've been in there as they have dragged out insulation.
wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote