Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
New Orleans (for now) , Everywhere
Help us identify these wires please!

Hello! We are renovating a 1987 34' Limited and we are currently replacing a few areas of the subfloor and have found some unidentified wires and what seems to be a plastic piece holding them together. It is located in the front on the passenger side. Since the small piece holding them together is sticking out of the belly pan a tiny bit we thought it might be a thermometer of some sort for the control panel? Not entirely sure. So I was wondering if anyone knew what these wires are for and where/if we can purchase a new plastic piece?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	594.3 KB
ID:	237847   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	237848  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	237849  
dillonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Looks like a ground wire to me.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I believe it's the sender unit (sensor) for the external temperature gauge on the control panel. If it's like mine, the temperature gauge is switchable between internal and external temperatures. My similar internal sensor is underneath the shelf supporting the radio. The temperature gauge has adjustable calibrators, but mine are so sensitive as to be unusable.
Nick
Old 05-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
New Orleans (for now) , Everywhere
One more thing: It has a brown, orange and red wire connected to it.
dillonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonation View Post
It has a brown, orange and red wire connected to it.
If you remove the control panel you will see these two colored wires entering the back of the temperature gauge.
Nick.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
The wires are to the outside sensor for the temp display on the control panel. If the external sensor is bad, it probably reads -40 on the display. As far as I know the sensor isn't available from Airstream, but I hope I'm wrong. You can find other sensors that will function with that system, but with the availability of inexpensive, wireless remote systems, I'm not sure it's worth the effort/expense. If it works correctly, leave it alone. If it doesn't (shows -40) you can either try to replace the sensor or cut the wires and tape them up. If you choose that option, leave them as long as possible and as close as possible to the opening in the belly, maybe with a retrieval string attached. If they are not long enough to reach the opening, splice some additional wire onto them so that at a later time, should you choose to do so, you can clean away the sealant around the opening and pull them through to outside to attach a new sensor. That's what I did. Best of luck.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote