Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Yulee , Florida
Help please re power jack fuse/breaker

I'm doing some renovation work on a 1982 center bath 31ft Excella and just replaced one of the microswitches on the H&H power jack model 12250. On this Excella the power to the jack is supplied from a 30 Amp breaker model 179 in the 12v fuse panel. This breaker does not have an on/off reset switch but resets itself when the fault which caused the breaker to trip is cleared.

However, the power jack installation instructions for the power supply state in upper case "THAT THE 30 AMP SLO BLO FUSE MUST BE INSTALLED AS SHOWN" and the drawing shows an inline fuse between the battery and the jack.

My questions are: Should the 30A slo blo fuse be installed addition to the 30 Amp breaker or instead of the breaker? Or is it OK just to leave the breaker only protecting the jack as it is?

Thanks in advance,

Norm.
AFUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
You're marginally better off with the fuse and the breaker in series. It won't hurt anything to use them both. Just make sure you keep a spare 30 amp fuse with you, unless you like hand-cranking!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Yulee , Florida
Thanks! I think you're right and I'll take your advice.

Thanks again,

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
You're marginally better off with the fuse and the breaker in series. It won't hurt anything to use them both. Just make sure you keep a spare 30 amp fuse with you, unless you like hand-cranking!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would install the jack as the instruction suggest.

Wiring 2 fuseable elements in series will only lead to trouble when one of them fails.

Breakers react differently then a slo blow fuse and might just blow often due to the starting current of the jack. That blowing would not indicate a problem in the jack that a blown slo blow fuse would.

Besides if the breaker tends to blow often you will be standing there in the rain waiting for it to reset.

Make sure you use #10 wire or bigger

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Yulee , Florida
Yesterday I telephoned the H & H Power Jack company (now Barker Manufacturing) in MI and put the question to them. Their answer was to leave it as Airstream installed it. I.E. wired through the breaker only.

Thanks,

Norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I would install the jack as the instruction suggest.

Wiring 2 fuseable elements in series will only lead to trouble when one of them fails.

Breakers react differently then a slo blow fuse and might just blow often due to the starting current of the jack. That blowing would not indicate a problem in the jack that a blown slo blow fuse would.

Besides if the breaker tends to blow often you will be standing there in the rain waiting for it to reset.

Make sure you use #10 wire or bigger