Old 01-25-2014, 04:28 AM   #1
The Silver Slipper

2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Help Please! lost DC power to lights under the overhead storage

I have lost DC power to (0nly) the lights under the overhead storage in the front coach (no power to stereo in that cabinet) it is a 2001 Excella 28ft, - Also No Hot Water! and Front Jack will only go UP -not down!
sounds like I have lost like one side or something!!!!
They are new batteries maybe 5 months old and show full charge on the panel + I have 200 watt of solar!!!
I have gone over the manual, but cant really find anything in the terms of fuses ect. Can anyone point me in the right direction, what's my first move?????

Thank You
JV

Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi JV

Your airstream likely has circuit breakers instead of fuses. If my memory serves me they are behind the upholstered panel behind the front sofa. Either you have a short that has worn out the circuit breaker or you just have a defective breaker. The good news is there are usually a couple of spare breakers in the panel.

When you open the little door you will see a panel with 4 screws in it. Take them out and they you can use a 12 volt test light or meter to see which breaker has no power output. Then you can likely just move the wire from this breaker to one of the unused ones.

I hope this helps.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPineJandK View Post
I have lost DC power to (0nly) the lights under the overhead storage in the front coach (no power to stereo in that cabinet) it is a 2001 Excella 28ft, - Also No Hot Water! and Front Jack will only go UP -not down!
sounds like I have lost like one side or something!!!!
They are new batteries maybe 5 months old and show full charge on the panel + I have 200 watt of solar!!!
I have gone over the manual, but cant really find anything in the terms of fuses ect. Can anyone point me in the right direction, what's my first move?????

Thank You
JV
Ok, you may have a blown fuse (or tripped circuit breaker if the 2001s have 12V circuit breakers(??)) affecting that overhead cabinet. As for the hot water, is your hot water heater electric and not propane? If so, check the circuit breaker panel and hope that it's that simple (although they shouldn't be tripping). Lastly, the power jack only has two wires going to it. Power and ground. If it goes up but not down, that sounds like a mechanical snafu or an electrical switch problem that isn't allowing the motor to reverse.

In short, I don't THINK that your problems are related. Just three wacky problems at the same time. Whatever it ends up being, I hope you're able to resolve them quickly and cheaply!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
If the WH is a DSI electronic ignition it could be on the same fuse as the lights.
The jack sounds like a bad switch or connection to it.
Tom J
Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valacidor View Post
If the WH is a DSI electronic ignition it could be on the same fuse as the lights.
The jack sounds like a bad switch or connection to it.
Tom J
Excellent point on the electric ignition.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
When you open the panel box door you will see something like this behind the door.

This is an automotive breaker. Some might have a rectangular button sticking out on the side. If one of these buttons is out further than the others, push the button back inward to re-set the breaker. If there is no button, you will have to test it with a meter to see if it has gone bad. It should have continuity from one post to the other.

You can purchase these at most rv dealers or at automotive supply stores.

If you have to install a new breaker make sure to disconnect both batteries and unplug the converter. If you do not, the loose wire can arc to any metal it touches.
(ask me how I know)