Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Prescott Valley , Arizona
HELP! Loose Post On New Battery

I'm visiting Alaska with my Safari and had to replace house batteries. I am having to charge them almost as often as I did the old ones. Checked to see if I had a loose cable and discovered that one of the posts is loose. It wobbles. The cable is attached and I can't get it off because, when I try I'm afraid the post will detach! It is an Interstate deep cycling battery (SRM 24 550 CCA 690 MCA) I'm in Denali NP! Given my luck lately, I'm assuming that I can't just slip some JD Weld down in there and breath easy. Am I going to have to hook up and find an Interstate dealer? Is it dangerous?
Patricia720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Better to be safe than sorry

I would disconnect the bad battery, and just use one until you can return the faulty batt. A bad batt will affect the performance of a good batt.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If your Safari is like mine it has only one house battery.
If it were me, I would bite the bullet and by a new one.

There is an Interstate battery dealer in Fairbanks and Wasilla.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Good idea. The problem is that it's the positive post and I don't think I can get the cable off without tearing the post off. Since the battery is new and guaranteed, I don't want to void the guarantee. If it isn't dangerous, I may just keep charging them everyday until I head to Fairbanks. I'm probably looking for something impossible, some non-existent fix. This is a Hail Mary pass, just in case there is an easy answer. There are two batteries.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Void the warrantee ????????

Any reputable dealer will understand your safety concerns. Better than voiding your whole RV. It might be dangerous

If the batts were just replaced, the cable should come right off after loosening it. Don't let the loose cables touch. wrap them in plastic or tape them up as you go.

Yeah …it might be a little trickier, if the bad batt is the first in the loop. I wouldn't fool around… If you are too nervous to do it, find an RVer to help, make him a sandwich.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Take a short video to document issue, use that to show problem at warranty discussion.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Thanks for the help and for finding Interstate dealers. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I have had that happen to me. I was able to use it for a short time (no pun), and exchanged it without mishap. If it is causing you stress, disconnect it. Peace of mind is priceless.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Here's the tool you need to remove the cable.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
One option. Cut the cable close to the battery, remove the battery and install a new connector on the cable and install a new battery.

I suspect the warranty will be declined as "You must have damaged the battery".
Old 07-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia720 View Post
I'm visiting Alaska with my Safari and had to replace house batteries. I am having to charge them almost as often as I did the old ones. Checked to see if I had a loose cable and discovered that one of the posts is loose. It wobbles. The cable is attached and I can't get it off because, when I try I'm afraid the post will detach! It is an Interstate deep cycling battery (SRM 24 550 CCA 690 MCA) I'm in Denali NP! Given my luck lately, I'm assuming that I can't just slip some JD Weld down in there and breath easy. Am I going to have to hook up and find an Interstate dealer? Is it dangerous?
JB Weld notwithstanding, there's no getting around this. The battery will hafta be replaced.

Meanwhile, go to a local auto parts store and get a battery cable puller. They're specifically designed to remove stubborn cable ends from top terminal batteries.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Here's the tool you need to remove the cable.
should be able to get one of these at any parts house you encounter . You might even stop by the Denali national Park vehicle maintenance shop there in Denali and borrow one of theirs for a few minutes .
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Antonio , Texas
Loose battery post

If you cannot remove the cable on the loose post, try and remove the cable from the other side, insulate and secure it untill you get a new battery, this will isolate the bad battery.
let the dealer remove the cable from the loose post.
Ralph12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
ralph's answer sounds best :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Just loosen the clamp, remove the bolt if necessary and spread the two sides by twisting with with a thick screw driver between the part where the bolt goes through. Or find something something thick enough to allow you to pry the sides apart. The clamp will just fall off
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Longview , Texas
take camera take picture of battery, go to auto parts store get battery deal with interstate when you get to one. if they won't honor bitch to home office.
Wayne Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I would get my info together on the battery replacement if possible, call Interstate and speak with 1-888-772-3600 M-F 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Central Time and let them know what has happened as a company then contact where you got them and tell them.

Inform them that you are in need of a fix prior to returning and see what they say.

I was on the road last month when my inverter burned up. Needless to say I was boon docking and had more days to go. I ended up chucking the warrantied inverter due to the send it back, let us look at it to determine failure and send a new unit fix--wait. I bought a new one. Perhaps you will have a better time of it with batteries.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Safety issues depend on how 'loose' the batt post is...

If you can turn it side to side, the post is tearing loose from the plates inside and could 'arc' inside if an electrical load is present... Hydrogen gas could then explode casuing damage to the battery and acid to coat the compartment... In that event flood the area with lots of clean water to wash away... Baking soda will help neturalize the weak acid solution...,

A loose post on a new battery is almost always a mfg defect & should be honored at any dealer carrying that brand... You would normally have to have exerted lots of twisting effort to break a post loose... I havent seen a loose post in my batt biz for some time, its rather rare unless one uses unusual force....
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote