Old 06-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Lewisburg , Pennsylvania
Help installing in-line fuse holders?

Greetings,

I have a 79 Excella 500. I replaced the Univolt several years ago and things had been working great until this season.

I think some corrosion in 12 volt fuse panel is causing two of the fuses (Circuit #4 brown and Circuit #5 blue) to heat up and blow.

Rather than replace the entire fuse panel, I have read that it is possible to use in-line fuse holders if you only have one or two finicky circuits.

I think this could be stop gap for me for the season and I could replace the entire panel in the fall.

I'm just not sure how to install the inline holders.

Any help would be appreciated (especially photos if you've got them).

Thanks,

Abe

Old 06-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by anf6k View Post
Greetings,

I have a 79 Excella 500. I replaced the Univolt several years ago and things had been working great until this season.

I think some corrosion in 12 volt fuse panel is causing two of the fuses (Circuit #4 brown and Circuit #5 blue) to heat up and blow.

Rather than replace the entire fuse panel, I have read that it is possible to use in-line fuse holders if you only have one or two finicky circuits.

I think this could be stop gap for me for the season and I could replace the entire panel in the fall.

I'm just not sure how to install the inline holders.

Any help would be appreciated (especially photos if you've got them).

Thanks,

Abe
All the inline fuse holders that I have seen have wire pigtails attached when you buy them. Simply splice them into the wiring as you would any wire. I would recommend automotive crimp connectors. Use connectors and wire of the proper guage for the amperage of the fuse to be used.

Auto Install - How to crimp two wires together & common tools to use - YouTube

Ken

Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You will be crimping one end of the fuse holder onto the circuit wire (your number 4 and 5, brown and blue) The other end will have to be hooked to the 12 volt supply side. Since many older glass fuse panels had a single bar with riveted fuse holders on the supply side, you may have to figure a way to get power to the input side of your new fuse holder. Probably you can just put those ends into whatever wire holder supplies the bar with the fuses on it and get the power that way. I am sure you can figure a way when you look carefully at the panel with the fuses.

Rather than crimping, you may just be able to put the one of the new fuse holder wires into the same terminal that the circuit #4 and #5 terminate in... where the bad fuse holder clip is.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Lewisburg , Pennsylvania
Where to connect power input?

Greetings,

I think I'm starting to get it. Thanks for the replies.

Would you get power from 11 or 12 in the schematic? Where the (+) comes in from battery 1 and 2?

I would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,

Abe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Panel 79 Excella 500.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	162160  
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
I'm sorry to dig up an old thread, but I too am looking to replace a corroded fuse connector on my fuse panel with an line fuse. I'm doing this temporarily to get by until after my next camping trip is over, then I plan on replacing the entire fuse panel.

Do I connect one side of the in line fuse holder to 11 or 12 as stated below and then the other side of the in line fuse holder to the brown circuit (that is the one that's causing me problems?) is that how I set this up?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anf6k View Post
Greetings,

I think I'm starting to get it. Thanks for the replies.

Would you get power from 11 or 12 in the schematic? Where the (+) comes in from battery 1 and 2?

I would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,

Abe
Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
In case anyone else finds this thread and wonders...yes you would connect the other side of the in line fuse to either 11 or 12 in the diagram above. I tried it tonight and I've got lights again!