Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Edgewater , Florida
Question Help if you can

I was working on fixing up my A/S again... and I discovered a small spot in the ceiling near my bunk beds that looked like corrosion, so I started to scrape the corrosion off when guess what happened, sparks started to fly. As it turns out the aluminum was corroded all right from a 12V short that has been hidden in the ceiling all these years (it’s a 1972 Ambassador). I was able to get one of the probes from my multi tester into the hole to determine it was a 12V wire that was pinched between the ceiling panel and one of the cross member supports. Now for my problem, can anyone tell me if there is anyway to loosen the center ceiling panel and drop it down enough that I might be able to reach up in there and fix this short? The center panel seems to go the whole length of the cabin and I am not sure how the two strips that run the length of it which seem to hold it in place are held up. Or is there any other suggestions out there, it seems to be in a spot that there is no other access, will I need to cut a whole in the ceiling and then cover it with something? Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can offer.
higgy116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Smile

Well it sounds like quite a problem you have there. Are you able to get to the area from near a ceiling vent? You could loosen the ceiling around the vent and pull it down. I have to admit, we don't have any 70's trailers but pre 1967 you can drill the pop rivits out and the ceiling will drop but you have the upper cabinets to deal with also. I don't see any quick way to deal with your problem. Ideally you would like to repair without cutting so interior removal in that area may be necessary. In the older trailers the ceiling is usually 2-3 pieces of aluminum buck rivited together to form one piece. Hope this helps in some small way. Keep us posted.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
May find some help here.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...rip-49182.html
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Oh My....

From the 72 manual:

Remove ceiling lights

Remove vent screens

Remove antenna handle

Remove rivets from vent flanges

Remove rivets from from ribs in multi-dome area

Remove foldette door header in galley area

Remove inside air conditioner cover

Remove sliding bath door header

Remove rivets from bedroom panel wall extrusions which attaches to the multi dome

Remove rivets at each end of the dome

By pulling down on the center of the multi-dome it can now be removed. Multi-dome must be slid forward to clear bedroom panel.

Install multi-dome by reversing above procedure using colored rivets.

In some cases a rubber beading is installed under the trim strip to allow the multi-doe to fit tight without a wavy effect. It may be necessary to reinstall this when making the replacement installation.

I presume you could do a portion of this to get to the wire.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Edgewater , Florida
Well thanks for the input, nothing sounds easy does it. I really dont know what I will do, maybe I will try to figure out what the wire feeds and possible snake a new one with a wire snake, that may be easier. I will keep thinking about it and if I figure it out I will post my solution.
higgy116 is offline   Reply With Quote