Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Help identifying a wire...

Upgraded the water heater to an on demand and behind the water heater is this wire coming up from underneath (see image below), spliced to a larger 8guage wire. The 8guage joins into the bundle in the black hose which heads forward to the battery/electrical area. Not sure what this wire is or why it was spliced this way. If it's some kind of ground wire, seems bad to ground a larger wire through a smaller wire.

http://tinyshinyhouseonwheels.com/wp...608_164735.jpg
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
The mystery deepens. Airstream sent me a wiring schematic. In the entirety of the 12v wiring system there is exactly one 8 gauge white ground wire. It is connected to the ground bus bar (which is grounded to chasis). On the wiring schematic that wire leads to a caption that says to look at other pages, but the rest of the 12V pages are wire route schematics, not wiring diagrams.

Based on my knowledge of what's under the bed (electrical, but could be monsters) I know the ground bus bar is grounded to chasis and there is a larger white wire going in (last I looked I didn't pay attention to size).

So, one white 8 gauge wire, going from the ground bus bar to the splice in the picture in OP, spliced to probably a 10 gauge wire that goes into the frame (cant say if it is grounded to frame).

If it is grounded here, that seems not only redundant but bad. If it isn't, I can't figure out what component would have a ground wire coming up through the shell at this point.

Any thoughts? Does anyone with a newer model (mine is 2011) have a similar wire by the water heater?
Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Another response from Airstream, it seems this was done at the factory and is original. Seems very strange to me, I still don't understand why it is wired this way.