Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2002, 11:01 PM   #1
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Question Help!! exterior outlet cover stuck

I can not get the exterior outlet cover to open on the curbside wall, aft of the main door. It will move but feals like it has a lock????? Its a 73 31ft Sovereign.
TheBigRedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 05:18 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
there is a small spring loaded ball that acts as a catch. it is usally on the lower right side. you may want to spray in some WD40 and the slip a thin putty knife in to move the ball and work it loose. the biggest thing to be careful of is to not snap the hinge. If you do the whole assembly will need to be replaced. This part is not made by Airstream any more and the only source is a boneyard. Also replacement will require dilling ot the 12-16 rivets that hold it in place. The hinge is a stainless steeel pin that runs through the top of the door.

Good Luck.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:56 AM   #3
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Got the old prybar out and gave it some persuasion. it opend like snot on a doorknob!!!!!!!!!!! Thank for the help........ Matt Dimmer
TheBigRedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 12:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I use WD-40 for a lot of things but use anti-seize grease on that ball and spring. Works great. Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 04:43 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Good Idea on the anti-seize. I was recomending the WD-40 only as a penetrating oil to loosen it up. That is all I ever use it for. If I need to use a spray lube I use silicone. This is one spot that an anti-seize lube makes good sense.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 05:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I believe WD-40 has chlorinated solvents so don't expect it to inhibit corrosion. My experience has been that just the opposite.
There are various products that work as well and have no chlorine. Especially light oils used for firearms or as stated above silcone works well for some things. I keep it around for drying ignitions and such and will use it for other things if nothing else is handy.

Dan
Dan Phariss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have found the penetrating capability of WD-40 to be pretty good so that is why I use it. There are better rust preventatives out there. Many have given WD-40 a bad name for use on firearms saying that it builds a plastic residue that can interfere with the action. I'm here to tell you that I used WD-40 on firearms for 25 yrs. and NEVER had a problem like that or with rust. The last 7-8 yrs. I have used BreakFree CLP as a rust preventer/lubricator but not as a solvent. I've used Hoppes #9 for that purpose, Hoppes Copper Solvent and now Butch's Bore Shine which I have found to be fantastic. I'm getting into another area so I'll quit here.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 11:04 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

In a damp climate but indoors I have seen WD-40 cause or at least allow, a light rust film overnight on firearms. BTDT many years ago. Build up would be minimal. In dry climates like my current residence rust is not a big problem.
Breakfree will build up as it dries to a grease but it has excellent protective qualities as a result. I don't use it anywhere that its tendancy to gum would cause grief.
The only thing I have used to any great extent (35 years or so) that has never given me any reason to fault it is G-96 Gun Treatment. I use it for almost anything needing a light oil, door latches, hinges etc. Its mostly silicone and while only a fair penetrant for rusted parts its anti-corrosion quaities are first rate and it gets into pins and joints well to lubricate.
PB Blaster is a very good penetrant for freeing rusted parts. Used it last night while pulling the jacks and belly skin off the Ambassador. Don't think it has any chlorine but not sure. Works better than anything I have found for this so far.

Dan Phariss
Dan Phariss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 11:04 AM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Lubricant

I have used a very nice lubricant in the past, and recently on my airstream with great results:
It is a clear lubricant made for Mercedes Benz, comes in an old-fashioned tub with a plastic lid and is simply called " Lubrication Paste". They use it for the sliding jaws of electric sunroofs. It is odor free, non-corrosive to aluminum, and does not turn black quickly, if ever.
This paste, applied in small dabs with a toothpick, for example, makes everything seem to work like it was supposed to. It can be used on hard plastic as well. This would be a great solution to the outside receptacle cover mentioned earlier in this tread.A little dap goes a long way and lasts a long time, over WD 40 for example.
MB part number A 001 989 46 51
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote