Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Garibaldi Highlands , British Columbia
Help - Electric problem with some plug in my trailer

Hi,

I own a 2010 Flying Cloud, woke up this morning and all the electricity plug in kitchen, bathroom and living room and not working anymore. All the one in the bedroom work including the TV and the microwave work.

Is it not bizarre? I looked at the braker and they all seem fine. I even shot them all off and on again and still the plugs are not working.

Is anyone here have had that problem before?

Melanie
Melimelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melimelo View Post
Hi,

I own a 2010 Flying Cloud, woke up this morning and all the electricity plug in kitchen, bathroom and living room and not working anymore. All the one in the bedroom work including the TV and the microwave work.

Is it not bizarre? I looked at the braker and they all seem fine. I even shot them all off and on again and still the plugs are not working.
Not bizarre. Probably tripped the GFCI. If the GFCI is mounted on an outlet rather than on a breaker, it is possible to trip the GFCI without tripping the breaker as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Electric problem fix

I called Airtream Adventure and they suggested to me to reset the plug in the bathroom (the white one) and it fix it I'm so happy! P
Old 08-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Melanie, a short explanation may help you understand what may have happened. You are obviously familiar with the function of a standard Circuit Breaker which trips on overload to protect the circuit from overheating and possibly starting a fire. The outlet in the bathroom is the GFCI that Protagonist correctly suggested as the problem. GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. It is designed to trip nearly instantaneously if it detects even a tiny abnormality between ground and the 120V source to prevent a shock or electrocution. The typical outlets that are protected by a GFCI are those in proximity to wet areas; the bath, kitchen and outside outlets, where the the likelihood of a shock hazard is the greatest. The GFCI will trip so quickly that most people never feel even the slightest tingle.

Aside from physical contact with a mis-wired or faulty appliance such as a toaster or hair dryer, wiping a protected outlet with a damp sponge or a leak in the gasket that allows moisture to enter the outside outlet may trip the GFCI. If you look closely at that GFCI outlet in the bath, you will see 2 buttons and they are labeled Test and Reset. A common reason for a tripod GFCI is accidentally pressing the Test button while plugging something into that outlet. Look closely at the front of the GFCI and you may see "Test Monthly" embossed in the plastic. I guess that's there to keep the legal staff for the GFCI manufacturer happy.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Thank you for the information!! that all makes sense!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I often accidentally "test" the GFCI by bumping the Test button. Also my wife says I push wrong buttons and I trust her.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote