Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Help: Dometic on heat shuts down; Error E3

So I been running heat off of the Dometic A/C heat strip and the thing shut down twice , first time I checked the shore power ( I have a Progressive Surge the protector and it was running and showing no errors ),then turned off the hot water on electric reset the 20 Amp breaker.ran for about 5 min and shut down again showing the same problem . showing E3 and sure enough the 20 amp breaker shut it down again .
Could it be a loose connection somewhere or the converter ?
This its the first time had it running a few days ago at another camp site and it did the same thing .
LAWBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi there!

So what does the Owners Manual say "E3" indicates?
Old 09-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Are you sure it's a heat strip and not a heat pump in the unit. I thought heat pumps were standard. I think we had the compressor ice up and lock a couple times on our last Airstream in heat pump mode, when it thawed out all worked fine. That would probably trip the breaker eventually.

Our solution was a Dyson Hot portable heater, quieter and much better heat distribution.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
If you are not able to locate the manual, the error codes are also near the PC board at the outside door of the furnace.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Heat pump error E3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Are you sure it's a heat strip and not a heat pump in the unit. I thought heat pumps were standard. I think we had the compressor ice up and lock a couple times on our last Airstream in heat pump mode, when it thawed out all worked fine. That would probably trip the breaker eventually.

Our solution was a Dyson Hot portable heater, quieter and much better heat distribution.
The code E3 is loss of power 120 volt, this info comes from the Climate Control unit on the wall , I have never used the heat side of the roof unit

When I ran it for the first time last month it was only to test and it seemed to work fine .
When I ran it for heat this time this week , it started with a lot of moisture coming out of the blower making a fog inside the trailer wall. Which I'm thinking now it was probably melting ice in the head unit before the heater unit would work .

I know squat about these units, but our trip is coming to an end and I've got a couple of items for the dealer to check through, just added one more item .
Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Sometimes, if the voltage supply is low, and you have the fridge and water heater on electric, and you try and run the heat pump as well, the breaker will do what it is designed to do, shut off the supply. You have to learn how to do the "electrical jig" . Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Dometic HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Sometimes, if the voltage supply is low, and you have the fridge and water heater on electric, and you try and run the heat pump as well, the breaker will do what it is designed to do, shut off the supply. You have to learn how to do the "electrical jig" . Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
So I had to run the Dometic on heat again earlier this week shutting off the elec. side of the water heater first without any problems occurring . I didn't bother to mention to the dealer about it when I brought it in, re the " electrical Jig". ( really its puling more than 30 Amps when all things are running ?)
Old 09-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Yes on the 30 amps. Weird design but I guess it's just part of the Airstream experience. We have learned how to adjust so it is now fairly automatic but not totally. The good part is that usually there is no ongoing harm done. Oh for some banana cream pie from Mom's cafe in Sooke. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums