Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2004, 04:59 PM   #1
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
HELP!!! Cable & Phone Connections

Cable & Phone Jacks

For the life of me...I cannot figure out where to connect the TV cable or the phone cord. There is plenty of line for each, connected to the outlets for these 2 items, but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get them OUTSIDE to hook up to the 'hook-up' post.
WHERE do they "exit" the Airstream?

If it matters, I have a 1981 Excella 500...and both cords were wound up in a bunch in the rear bedroom, near the outside storage door on the 'roadside', which would lead one to think these cords/lines just went out that little storage door; but then, you'd have to open it! ... that's fine if you're in Arizona or Florida...but what about colder damp areas like the Oregon Coast etc., you can't leave that door open!!

HOW DO THE REST OF YOU HOOK UP? (Cable & Phone).
Old 10-02-2004, 01:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat

Any help either here or by PM...will be greatly appreciated.
I don't know if Airstream will ever call me back or when if they do.
CAT,
Are we having a "BAD HAIR DAY??
Plse pm me....
BTW, have a tall one and....lol, maybe you have already...
ciao
53FC
I've reposted here....Just to let you know...
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:12 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
cat

my phone and cable exit my trailer through the electrical cord storage compartment.

there is a connector for each, and i attach the cords there. perhaps your cords were ment to exit through the rear bumper bin somehow. is that where your electrical cord is stored?

john
Old 10-02-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Rear Bumper Storage....

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
cat

my phone and cable exit my trailer through the electrical cord storage compartment.

there is a connector for each, and i attach the cords there. perhaps your cords were ment to exit through the rear bumper bin somehow. is that where your electrical cord is stored?

john
It's possible...I've been remodeling, and not 'wheelin' ', so there's been no activity in this regard.
Yes, the bumper storage is where my electrical cord comes from. And, when I peeked in the bumper last night with my flashlight, I made a mental note that the sewer hose and connectors need to be replaced. Now, what I'm gonna do, is remove everything from that compartment, and clean it all out (spider webs, et al)...and maybe then, I'll locate the connector areas.
I've already decided to replace cable, phoneline, jacks, connectors, etc.
All I have to do is locate WHERE the connection is.
But, JOHN>>>?
How would the cable and the phoneline EXIT the chassis and get into the bumper storage area in the first place..? Would finding a connection place (in the bumper storage area) for cable and phone, MEAN that it was done at the factory?

Thanx for your reply.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

tv options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
Cable & Phone Jacks

For the life of me...I cannot figure out where to connect the TV cable or the phone cord. There is plenty of line for each, connected to the outlets for these 2 items, but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get them OUTSIDE to hook up to the 'hook-up' post.
WHERE do they "exit" the Airstream?

HOW DO THE REST OF YOU HOOK UP? (Cable & Phone).
I have the same dilemma. Been full-timing for a week now and figuring out one system at a time...except for this one! My cable connection is curbside, in the cabinet above the sink, and I have no idea how to get to it from the outside. I guess I could call the PO.....but I'd rather check with you guys.

I have another tv question and will throw it in here....Have any of you used your laptop as a tv? In an effort to save space and $$, I'm thinking about getting a tuner to attach to my laptop. The computer, by the way, has a great screen and DVD so a tv/dvd combo seems a little redundant. Any ideas?
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
I'm thinking about getting a tuner to attach to my laptop. The computer, by the way, has a great screen and DVD so a tv/dvd combo seems a little redundant. Any ideas?
Should work out fine - just be sure to get the proper "adapter" from the tuner to the Video input of the laptop.

Another useful addition would be a good set of PC speakers for the laptop.

Good speakers make a huge difference in video enjoyment.

BTW, be sure to check that your tuner has a way of interfacing with any audio system you may have or plan to have.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
I have another tv question and will throw it in here....Have any of you used your laptop as a tv? In an effort to save space and $$, I'm thinking about getting a tuner to attach to my laptop. The computer, by the way, has a great screen and DVD so a tv/dvd combo seems a little redundant. Any ideas?
Anette,
I've recently purchased Pinnacle PCTV USB2 hardware/software for $99. http://buy.pinnaclesys.com/dr/v2/ec_...P=0&CACHE_ID=0 It plugs into your USB port on your laptop. You can hookup TV antenna, cable, camcorder or DVD player to it and watch on your laptop. The only requirement is you need a Hi-speed 2.0 USB port on your laptop. If you don't have this, you can purchase a Hi-Speed USB notebook card from Belkin that fits into one of your card slots and provides a USB port that PCTV can work from. I can show you my setup at the Forums Rally in Newport.
Hope this helps,

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 05:35 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Dennis and Jim...good speakers a definite must and I will be sure to check out your system in Newport, Jim.

One drawback to this idea is that I won't be able to fool around on the computer while I watch t.v....may force me to have the tv on less...dang!
1997 E350
Old 11-04-2004, 06:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Flat Screen TV also works well

I know by mid-80's the TV cable and phone connections were coming out on street side of trailer under little trap doors, but I'd search manuals (or have forum members with manuals check theirs for you.. ) from Airstream to see how factory cabling was originally routed in 1981...

We opted for small Sharp wide-screen LCD TV to mount to wall of trailer, and added hookup from laptop to tv inputs so laptop can work as a DVD player.. Costs a little more than Pinnacle's TV Tuner box into USB, but allows TV and computer use together, and avoids need for separate DVD player... This option also allows everything to work from 12V DC, so you can see TV or work laptop (using airline power adapter cable or mini-inverter into lighter plug..) or watch movies when out of range of 110V...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:53 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcG
I know by mid-80's the TV cable and phone connections were coming out on street side of trailer under little trap doors, but I'd search manuals (or have forum members with manuals check theirs for you.. ) from Airstream to see how factory cabling was originally routed in 1981...

We opted for small Sharp wide-screen LCD TV to mount to wall of trailer, and added hookup from laptop to tv inputs so laptop can work as a DVD player.. Costs a little more than Pinnacle's TV Tuner box into USB, but allows TV and computer use together, and avoids need for separate DVD player... This option also allows everything to work from 12V DC, so you can see TV or work laptop (using airline power adapter cable or mini-inverter into lighter plug..) or watch movies when out of range of 110V...

John McG
Thanks John. I have the original manual but couldn't find anything. I'll go back and look again.

The mounted flat-screen tv is appealing...something less to stow during travel. And it sounds like this option allows you to get a tv that doesn't have to have ac/dc capabilities.

(BTW, I really hate typing on a laptop. I'm always accidentally sending email and closing programs. Makes me feel like a clutz!)
1997 E350
Old 11-04-2004, 07:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I don't remember a phone or cable attachment on my 74
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:31 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
I don't remember a phone or cable attachment on my 74
My owner's manual tells where the jacks are located inside the trailer but not how to access them from the outside. I'll dig out the operations manual (or whatever it's called) and see what it says.
1997 E350
Old 11-04-2004, 07:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Flat TV...

Our Sharp Aquos unit hangs from a cable and study hook mount on wall beside refrigerator, and we do drop it in a towel into storage area beside couch to travel. It is designed for LCD computer terminal wall mount (4 screws) that sells at local computer store for about $30, and we may give in and permanently mount it. It's much much easier to stow and set up than 14" Combo TV/VCR unit it replaced... We found quick-fit cable connectors much easier than screw-on units, and make set-up a breeze. TV recalibrates channels for local broadcast or campground cable in about 2 minutes, and we're good to go... Sharp recommends against running TV directly on 12V, even though 11V plug feeds a transformer to convert to 12V DC, as they claim vehicle battery power too unsteady. We added $25 inverter, that plugs into cig lighter jack, and creates smooth 120V, which Sharp pwr supply downconverts back to 12V. I may just try an adapter plug, as our 12V when parked from two large deep cycle house batteries is pretty stable... Inverter also works with laptop, which uses few watts AC to produce 19V DC...

We also added clam-shell folding speakers (battery powered) from Radio Shack for under $20, which can work with MP3 player or laptop as well, and fold into storage pouch smaller than size of a VCR cassette...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 11-04-2004, 07:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Tinkerbelle?

Oh yeah.. Is your new Vespa a 50 or 150 or GS? Are you happy with it? I have a vintage Puch moped intended as camp runabout, but haven't solved transport issues yet.. Do you take Vespa camping, and if so how does it ride along? Ramp on back of trailer? Front of truck? I used to own Vespa 150 in early 60's (bought new for $321..), and admire new ones almost as much as restored old ones..

John McG

Old 11-05-2004, 01:52 AM   #15
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Vespa!
Sharp Aquos FlatScreen!

You guys are talking about stuff in my DREAMS! I want a Vespa so bad, my teeth ache! Or a "Scarabeo"---OMGoodness.
Here's a website with scooters that have 'chairs'...for some who are afraid they'll fall off. There's 3-wheels and one 4-wheeler.
http://www.spinlife.com/critpath/buy..._scooters.cfm?adv=goto&tar=scooter&gtse=goto&gtkw=scooter&OVRAW= Volapucella%20Scooters&OVKEY=scooter&OVMTC=advance d
There's a Scooter "Lift"...and a Scooter "Carrier"/ "Tilt-A-Rack"...WOW!
http://www.spinlife.com/critpath/match.cfm?type=7&pagenum=1&sort=P&acctype=1665&ram p_type=any&chairtire_type=any&tire_type=any&diamet er=any&width=any&mm=any&medicare=any
This would hold several bicycles, a Harley, OR one of the Scooters (like the Scarabeo).

Anyway...back to the Cable/Phone Hookups...I found a hole with wires going down through the hole! Not the Cable or Phone, but they are coiled up right by it. Could this be it? It's in the back-bedroom, on the floor, at the far-back of the tiny little full-length (tall) closet---STREET SIDE---and the phone & cable 'cords' are wound up in the cupboard NEXT to it.

Whatever,,,it will be a nightmare (a very expensive one for ME) to have a mechanic troubleshoot an electrical problem---if that's where they all go. I know I want to 'pull' the cable and phone wires (from the Salon area) clear-through the 30-some feet and replace with new 'monster' wires.

I am going to make a completely new Cable & Phone Hook up...which will be accessible from the outside,,,AND from the inside...without having to reach the 'opposite side'. It will have nothing to do with the "HOLE" I just found. I will post photos on here when I'm done. I've done part of it...but want it to be close to being done before I post pix. It's accessible through one of the side compartment drop-down doors.

I appreciate all the input...(excuse the pun)...and hope there'll be more---especially photos.

N E ways, check out the links for the scooters guys. There's also some great models on eBaY.
I'm still looking for a link on the Scooter of my dreams....Aprilia/Scarabeo, Italjet/Piaggio & of course, the Vespa. 2-Wheelers OF course! (before I get to the point, I need the 4-wheel.)
Old 11-05-2004, 08:37 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

vespa and cable

Hi Guys...Gosh, Cat, you started this thread and I was hoping you had found the magic, uh, hole for those wires . I do have an antenna which I have yet to use...that may be good enough for a while.

This is kind of embarrassing but my vespa (150 cc 4 stroke) has only 8 miles on it. Yep, brand new, and it started raining up here as soon as I bought it so I haven't ridden it much (understatement of the year!). But this week I'm taking the Vespa and the Van to a truck accessories place and they will outfit the van so that I can carry the scooter. John, I will let you know what we come up with and post pictures. Unfortunately, I can't find any way around having someone always help me load the scooter - it weighs about 230 lbs and is a little heavy for me to ramp up on my own. I could install a lift on the side of the van but I don't have the bucks for that. I plan on using the vespa as my main mode of transportation once I'm in sunnier climes. Stay tuned (haha...Cat, another pun).
1997 E350
Old 11-06-2004, 03:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
One drawback to this idea is that I won't be able to fool around on the computer while I watch t.v....may force me to have the tv on less...dang!
With PCTV USB2 you can watch TV shows in full-screen mode or in a moveable, scaleable window, which lets you enjoy TV while you use other applications.

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:44 AM   #18
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Portland rain

[QUOTE=nettepdx]Hi Guys...Gosh, Cat, you started this thread and I was hoping you had found the magic, uh, hole for those wires . I do have an antenna which I have yet to use...that may be good enough for a while.
I plan on using the vespa as my main mode of transportation once I'm in sunnier climes. Stay tuned (haha...Cat, another pun).[/
QUOTE]

I've been thinking about getting a Vespa or an Aprilia (scooter) for my main forum of transport...but thought it might be a little tough to tow Bear with!!! (haha (my turn!)...

& what "sunnier climes" are those, pray tell! Sunnier than PORTLAND>>.say it isn't so! I spent a very wet honeymoon there on Sandy Boulevard...it rained so bad, we couldn't even find the Grotto with the famous Rose Garden.

Yes, I've been waiting for more help on the place for the Cable & Phone jack connections...but I figure most people have read this by now,,,and no one has come up with a solution any better than the one I've come up with myself. I think my idea (design) is pretty awesome and will share it with you ALL...as soon as I'm done with it...and can show the progression of photos. I'm about 1/2 way done, and showing those (so far) would only serve to confuse the viewer.

Thanx for noticing...and good luck with your 'rig' to put your Vespa on your truck. (If you send me the pictures, I might be able to design something for you... ---that's my business---.) Let me know what John says---KEEP ME TUNED IN.
................Cat (at your service, "Wizard & Consierge Extra Ordinaire"
Old 11-08-2004, 01:57 AM   #19
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Quote:
Hi Guys...Gosh, Cat, you started this thread and I was hoping you had found the magic, uh, hole for those wires . I do have an antenna which I have yet to use...that may be good enough for a while.
&
[QUOTE]I have the same dilemma. Been full-timing for a week now and figuring out
one system at a time...except for this one! My cable connection is
curbside, in the cabinet above the sink, and I have no idea how to get to it from the outside. I guess I could call the PO.....but I'd rather check with you
guys.

I have another tv question and will throw it in here....Have any of you
used your laptop as a tv? In an effort to save space and $$, I'm thinking
about getting a tuner to attach to my laptop. The computer, by the way, has a great screen and DVD so a tv/dvd combo seems a little redundant. Any
ideas?
[QUOTE]

I'm running out of strength again...it's almost 1am here. but, I want to finish replying to you '''ANNETTE'...I finally figured out your name. BUT, I COULD NOT FIND THE POST THAT WAS SENT ME BY THE FORUM...(the last one above 'quoted'). TO ADDRESS THAT:
1. Your Antenna is a different subject than the cable & phone jacks. I'm not sure where mine comes in. I'll know soon, because my mechanic is doing an all-over check for everything so I can 'christen' BEAR.
2. The exit of my PRESENT cable & phone "CORDS" seems to be in a hole in the floor...THAT'S THE WAY THEY DID IT WITH AN EXCELLA!!!? Unbelievable! As I said in a prevous post in this thread...THAT'S going to CHANGE!
3. The Audio/Visual subject...(different thread?) ...I was so interested in this topic (Annette---why don't you---? WEBMASTER?) START A NEW THREAD FOR THIS? ...N E ways, I was so interested in it, I copied most of the posts about it...to a document. I've attached it here Annette, so you can do like I am, print it out and refer to it.
START THE NEW THREAD!!
...............Cat
P.S....Oh...CR__ ! The Forum will NOT allow me to attach a "WORD" document to this post. (I tried 5 different ways---NO GO!) WEBMASTER??
I have the document for anyone who wants it---a synopsis of this thread in text forum (for ease of reading---& printing)...
just Private Message me...or better yet "EMAIL" me at <tinlizzy8131@yahoo.com>
& I'll attach it to an email to you from Yahoo.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #20
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Ahem! Ahem!
Another thread for scooters please?
(Like, I post about something unrelated to the thread I posted on, and someone PMs me & tells me they've moved my post...! Doesn't this go for everyone? )

Back on the subject...
AND BELIEVE ME I LOVE SCOOTERS (I want an Aprilia!!

But, guys, I was just ready to read more on how others have put their cable and phone cords out without cooling the whole house up! Then, someone brings up TV watching on laptops.

Ok..that's cool.. but my laptop cost me a bundle...and I'd rather wear out mine for just 'puter use...not for dual-duty. I already have an HDTV ready Flatscreen TV...and yes I can watch a movie on my laptop, but hook a tuner up to make it show network TV...? I'll FIND room! somehow! (for both).

BESIDES, THINK OF ALL THE BLINKIDDY BLANK cords!!

I hate cords all over! I'd rather have extra components around, without lots of cords...then have extra cords coming out of my laptop. As it is, i have a CORDLESS/WIRELESS keyboard for my laptop AND an AIR MOUSE (which I haven't even tried yet)...and GETTING THESE, I HAD TO GET A USB extender called a "Zip-Linq". It's pretty cool---it gives my puter 10 feet of distance between whatever is hookup & my computer. My laptop's housing made enough of a 'bump' so that the USB port wasn't accessible by the other male connectors (printer; camera; scanner; etc.). Now it is, but the cord is retractable...so if the distance isn't required, it stays inside the little round 'thingy-mabob".

I also have one of those little personal video players (that's all it does is PLAY). But, I can record something on a disk and then watch it in bed on my little Samsung player (I love that thing!) OR, I can watch a rented/owned DVD movie on it too. I lay it on it's side propped on a pillow by my head and watch away while I'm laying down. When I get to sleepy to watch, I just shut it off and set it on my nightstand. (GOOD SLEEPING PILL )

Regarding the phone & cable cords access:
Do you guys remember me mentioning the Cat Door I'm making? Well, it's all framed in (double walled) at that roadside 'dropleaf access door' on that side...and when that door is open, the 'wall' remains----& there's NO draft, no COLD air that can get in (except when I let the cat use the catdoor).
Well, there's a tiny little brass hole for the door-drop chain (for me to drop the door) to allow the cat to use the cat-door (in & out)... and now with all this talk about the phone and cable cable...I'm thinking ...WATCH OUT...CAT'S THINKING!!!

I'm thinking about making 2 OTHER HOLES, with RUBBER tubes instead of the brass ones...(the catdoor chain has brass tubes)...1 rubber one for the phone cord, and 1 rubber one for the TV cable; tight enough to also prevent cold air from coming in.

yeah...that's the ticket!
Whatja think? ok...grease my palm! ...I'm a designer remember! & a broke one at that! (now I know why)----I just gave you a NEAT DESIGN!...one that Airstream should have thought of! At least I think it's neat...maybe you guys can't 'see' it. but, I can.