Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Help! Battery not charging, outlets not working when plugged in

I'm having some electrical issues. It appears my battery is not being charged when plugged into shoreline. When plugged into shoreline power I'm also only able to use outlets in the rear of the trailer. This happened after I tried playing around with the breakers and the use / store mode.

I recently replaced the converter to a three stage. How do I start troubleshooting this? Thanks!
AirGal04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Did it ever work right after changing the converter? It sounds like your converter has tripped an AC breaker or blown a fuse that is affecting other outlets in the trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You may have tripped a GFCI outlet. If there are outlets downstream from the GFCI outlet, they will not work either, even if the breaker in the panel is on.

How is your converter wired? Does it plug into an outlet, or is it hardwired to the breaker panel?

The Use/Store mode switch will not affect the 100 VAC outlets.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Minno - You were right. I tripped the GFCI. It was stuck in "limbo" so I had to unplug and turn off all the other circuits before resetting. Kinda confusing. Now all the power outlets are working again.

The larger problem of the battery not charging still persists. I guess I need to get a voltmeter and start testing to see where the failure is.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i seem to recall that the 'use'relay will not operate below a certain voltage. you might try charging the battery from the umbilical cord attached to your tow vehicle for 15 minutes or so and see what happens.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
I know that the Use/Store light is always on when plugged in to shore power, right?

I too just upgraded my converter to the progressive dynamics 4655 and when plugged in to shore power all the light switches/Plugs inside the trailer also work regardless of the Use/Store rocker switch. Is this normal?

If all the electrical work regardless the switch position, like the OP shouldn't the batteries also be taking a charge regardless of switch position? Or must one make sure that the switch is confirmed in the use position?
Shaggy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Richinny - You were right. It was the store / use switch and the batteries had run low enough that the solenoid wasn't flipping. I came to the same conclusion you did, confirmed through purchase and use of a multimeter on the solenoid. This thread was very helpful. I hooked up to the TV power and was immediately able to flip the from use to store. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1970AS View Post
I
If all the electrical work regardless the switch position, like the OP shouldn't the batteries also be taking a charge regardless of switch position? Or must one make sure that the switch is confirmed in the use position?
Based on my last 24 hours, I'd say the latter. Even more confusing when flipping the use / store switch isn't functioning because of low batter power. Bad design on the use / store switch IMO.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

The fun keeps coming. I thought I had the batteries charging but I just tested by disconnecting from the shoreline power and immediately lost all power. I'm wondering if there's also something wrong with my battery wiring. Any thoughts on the setup below? I'm at a loss for where to go from here.

Voltage going into the batteries appears to be 14.4 so I assume they should be getting a charge.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Do you have a battery Tester? Maybe all your problems are with bad batteries.
Shaggy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote