Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Help! After storage, no battery power but Monitor shows green

Hi,

I just got our 2012 25FB from storage. It had been plugged in off and on over the winter (for furnace), but has been unplugged for the last couple months.

The hitch jack didn't work, even after I plugged in shore power. But, when I plugged it into the truck, it worked. While on AC power, I checked the monitor panel, and it showed green for the batteries, which are clearly dead. Also, the charger did not come on while on shore power.

I have taken the batteries out and they are being charged now. When I check the monitor panel (with shore power connected and no battery) it shows green! Since that is the case, I figure there is something wrong with the batteries or the monitor and charging system.

Any input GREATLY appreciated since we need to use it this coming weekend!
barrettjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
You say the batteries were clearly dead. Did you try any twelve volt systems other than the hitch jack with shore power unplugged? Did you check battery condition on the monitor with shore power unplugged? The monitor is reading converter voltage when it is active.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Dave, I tried the lights and the fantastic fan, and they worked. I have some recollection that the jack is wired directly to the battery, but I may be wrong about that. I didn't try anything else. I did not check the battery condition with shore power unplugged.

The other thing is that the on-board battery charger did not kick on, and I had it plugged in for about an hour.

The other thing that didn't work was the battery cutoff when I tried to switch from Store to Use with Shore Power disconnected.

I'm *hoping* the batteries were just so drained that it caused all the odd behavior, and it isn't something more.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
I suspect your charger was working during the hour you had it plugged in, but it wasn't hot enough for the cooling fan to come on. If the jack doesn't work when you get the batteries back in, check the fuse holder. On my trailer, the fuse holder gets under the propane tank cover when I fill bottles, and it disconnects the fuse.

For long term storage, consider either removing your batteries, or disconnecting the common ground to keep the phantom load from running them down. It only takes a couple of weeks for them to go flat. Another solution would be to install solar.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I agree with Drathaar that your converter could have been working. Only way to tell would be to connect a meter.
You're right, the jack is connected directly to the positive post on the battery and grounded to the frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-121237442.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	557.6 KB
ID:	186629

I don't think the jack would work connected to the TV of the fuse is blown, but it is always worth checking. I blow that fuse at least once a trip.

Hopefully with a full charge the other gremlins will fly away.

I also agree if you won't be using the trailer for awhile that you disconnect the ground at the batteries.

Good luck.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks for the replies! I charged the batteries and the jack worked fine! Hopefully all Gremlins are gone!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettjl View Post
Thanks for the replies! I charged the batteries and the jack worked fine! Hopefully all Gremlins are gone!
Remember that the phantom load will pull the batteries down in about twoish weeks or so. Either put a trickle charge on, or disconnect ground to keep it from happening again. I am glad things worked out.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote