Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Help a wiring neophyte?

I dislike wiring trailer plugs, it gives me a headache and seems to take a long, long time to do.

I aquired a new headache that is waiting for me.

When i attempted my first tow of the new trailer a wiring problem came up. The PO's tow rig didnt have this problem. The wiring plug on my Safari('77 23') is the big black 7 pin plug, with the round contacts. The plug on my truck is the 7 pin with the flat contacts.. The PO just changed the plug on his truck to match the trailer, that isnt an option for me. I just ran down to the store for an adapter.

Bzzt. Please try again. Nothing worked correctly. Absolutely nothing.

So, that leaves me a couple options. Cut the cord and put a new male end on the trailer plug that is a 7 pin flat contact or replace the female end wiring receptacle on the trailer with a 7 pin flat contact one.

I found it odd that the trailer wiring cord disconnects from the trailer, but i can see how it is handy.

So with all that said, does someone by chance have a schematic of what i need to hook from the old wiring cord to a new 7 pin flat contact end to make it work correctly?

How difficult is it to swap out the plug that is on the front of the trailer with a new 7 pin flat contact? I am invisioning fishing around inside the shell for some wires that are far too short, etc.

Any insight would be appreciated greatly. Thanks.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Van, You should not have to change the plug on the trailer end of the cord, jut the tow vehicle end. Simple solution: Go to Potter-Webster Co. in Delta Park (North Portland) and get a new flat-pin type end for the tow vehicle and a length of new 7-wire cord (6-12ga, and 1-10ga). Bring the old trailer cord and the new parts up to me in Ridgefield and I'll wire it for you. Your truck is wired to the standard trailer code and the new wire has the same color code as your trailer. It is possible to change the plug and recepticle on the trailer and there should be a plastic cover under your front couch that gives access to the wires from inside. Unless there has been some damage to that connection, there is really no need to change it. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Help a wiring neophyte?

Greetings Van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I dislike wiring trailer plugs, it gives me a headache and seems to take a long, long time to do.

I aquired a new headache that is waiting for me.

When i attempted my first tow of the new trailer a wiring problem came up. The PO's tow rig didnt have this problem. The wiring plug on my Safari('77 23') is the big black 7 pin plug, with the round contacts. The plug on my truck is the 7 pin with the flat contacts.. The PO just changed the plug on his truck to match the trailer, that isnt an option for me. I just ran down to the store for an adapter.

Bzzt. Please try again. Nothing worked correctly. Absolutely nothing.

So, that leaves me a couple options. Cut the cord and put a new male end on the trailer plug that is a 7 pin flat contact or replace the female end wiring receptacle on the trailer with a 7 pin flat contact one.

I found it odd that the trailer wiring cord disconnects from the trailer, but i can see how it is handy.

So with all that said, does someone by chance have a schematic of what i need to hook from the old wiring cord to a new 7 pin flat contact end to make it work correctly?

How difficult is it to swap out the plug that is on the front of the trailer with a new 7 pin flat contact? I am invisioning fishing around inside the shell for some wires that are far too short, etc.

Any insight would be appreciated greatly. Thanks.
I am not a do-it-yourselfer on most items, but this is one that I have developed confidence in handling after several rounds of issues between my '64 Overlander and '78 Minuet. My tow vehicles have all been wired to the current industry standard Bargman Plug configuration that can be seen in the page linked below:

http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

Your '77 Safari likely has the same wiring color code schematic and wiring configuration as my '78 Minuet that can be found in the factory document linked below:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...lug1966-81.pdf

When I faced the problem the first time with my Minuet, I had a 12-volt garden tractor battery with extra long aligator clamp equipped leads that I utilized to test the function of each of the wires in the cord -- as it turned out my coach still had its factory umbilical cable as all of the wires performed the function as indicated in the factory diagram. The whole process took less than two hours the first time through.

Good luck with your plug replacement/reconfiguration!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:01 PM   #4
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate your offer Darol, barring a complete meltdown though i should be able to figure it out. thanks
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote