Originally Posted by Van
I dislike wiring trailer plugs, it gives me a headache and seems to take a long, long time to do.
I aquired a new headache that is waiting for me.
When i attempted my first tow of the new trailer a wiring problem came up. The PO's tow rig didnt have this problem. The wiring plug on my Safari('77 23') is the big black 7 pin plug, with the round contacts. The plug on my truck is the 7 pin with the flat contacts.. The PO just changed the plug on his truck to match the trailer, that isnt an option for me. I just ran down to the store for an adapter.
Bzzt. Please try again. Nothing worked correctly. Absolutely nothing.
So, that leaves me a couple options. Cut the cord and put a new male end on the trailer plug that is a 7 pin flat contact or replace the female end wiring receptacle on the trailer with a 7 pin flat contact one.
I found it odd that the trailer wiring cord disconnects from the trailer, but i can see how it is handy.
So with all that said, does someone by chance have a schematic of what i need to hook from the old wiring cord to a new 7 pin flat contact end to make it work correctly?
How difficult is it to swap out the plug that is on the front of the trailer with a new 7 pin flat contact? I am invisioning fishing around inside the shell for some wires that are far too short, etc.
Any insight would be appreciated greatly. Thanks.
I am not a do-it-yourselfer on most items, but this is one that I have developed confidence in handling after several rounds of issues between my '64 Overlander and '78 Minuet. My tow vehicles have all been wired to the current industry standard Bargman Plug configuration that can be seen in the page linked below:
Your '77 Safari likely has the same wiring color code schematic and wiring configuration as my '78 Minuet that can be found in the factory document linked below:
When I faced the problem the first time with my Minuet, I had a 12-volt garden tractor battery with extra long aligator clamp equipped leads that I utilized to test the function of each of the wires in the cord -- as it turned out my coach still had its factory umbilical cable as all of the wires performed the function as indicated in the factory diagram. The whole process took less than two hours the first time through.
Good luck with your plug replacement/reconfiguration!