Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Have I got it right? Installing Shunt for Battery Monitor

The renovation of our '79 Excella 500 continues, and today's questions to the forum'ers are about the order of components in the wiring:
  1. Do I have the shunt for the Battery Monitoring System positioned correctly? Or should it go on the other side of the 300A Breaker?
  2. Do I have the Breakers and Disconnect switches positioned correctly?
Here's my diagram:

trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
The shunt should be the last inline to the negative on the - battery pole Every other negative line should be on the other side of it.
If you go onto the Bogart Engineering site ( Trimetric) there should be a very good diagram showing the connection process.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I agree with George's statement.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You're getting closer........ a few corrections:

• the shunt is incorrect. The battery negative should be the only connection on side 1. All other negative loads should go to the other side of the shunt.

•you should use a class 'T' fuse ONLY for the inverter, as these have the extremely high interrupt capacity that your battery bank requires in case of a dead short. A circuit breaker doesn't have near the interrupt capacity

• the inverter disconnect and fuse should be on the POSITIVE lead to the inverter, not the negative lead

•*the class 'T' fuse should be first from the battery, then the disconnect switch down stream from the fuse, with the fuse located within 18" of the battery terminal.

That should do it!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
300A breaker to inverter and only 100A breaker to ground? What in the world is pulling 3500+ Watts out of the inverter?

Your shunt only measures charging and inverter current, not total flow.

I have no clue what your objective of such a heavy system is. I tried two batteries (230 A-H total) and found that one battery and a Honda 2000 was a better solution.

It would be interesting to know what you have installed on the electrical system.

Zep
Old 01-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Thanks everyone for pointing out the problems with my setup. I've revised my diagram to reflect the corrections:

Zeppelinium, you had asked why such a large protection mechanism on between the inverter and batterie bank. The manufacture of my inverter/charger doesn't have a requirement for the size of fuse to use with the unit, however units with similar specs recommends a 300A fuse, so I'm going with that.

Regarding what's on the electrical system... not much right now, although the "overbuilt" nature of the setup is so that when I want to add capacity or functionality (solar, microwave, etc...) the infrastructure is there I just need to swap out components. Components are easy to access in my setup, while the infrastructure wiring will not be as easy to access.

Thanks again everyone for your help! If you see any red flags with the diagram posted above, let me know; you've all been really helpful (especially you Lewster!).
Old 01-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Treckerboy, I am curious about the software you used to create the graphics of your electrical system. Before long, I will need to prepare a diagram of the electrical system I need to build for my 56 Flying Cloud.

Is the software generally available (I am hoping it is in the Microsoft Office suite of programs)?

Thanks, Hank
Old 01-27-2015, 03:33 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankAm View Post
Treckerboy, I am curious about the software you used to create the graphics of your electrical system. Before long, I will need to prepare a diagram of the electrical system I need to build for my 56 Flying Cloud.

Is the software generally available (I am hoping it is in the Microsoft Office suite of programs)?

Thanks, Hank

Hi Hank,

You could do this with PowerPoint, but I used Apple's Keynote product since I'm on a Mac. It's all just boxes, circles and snap-connect lines.

Hope this helps!

- Jason

Hope this helps!