Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #1

Atwater , California
Has anyone rewired 110V in a 345?

I'm trying to get an idea of how long (in hours) it should take to run a new 110v line from the transfer relay under the dinette seat to the breaker panel in the rear of a 345 for insurance quote purposes. Is there a flat rate book or something similar that might have info like this or is it possible to get this directly from Airstream?

TIA - Robert
Topdawg044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Robert,

I don't believe that there is a flat rate for a job like that. Assuming that you have a 30 amp feed, you probably won't be able to get access to the wire way that connects the transfer switch and breaker panel, unless they are in immediate proximity to each other. I've never done a 345, so I have no first hand knowledge here, but I have changed about a half dozen transfer switches on large MoHo's in the last few months. Access issues will dictate the time involved.

A transfer panel on a new Holiday Rambler Navigator took 4 hours and required removing the outer access door, inner bay panels and the power cord take-up reel. OTOH, changing the same item in an '06 Newell took 45 minutes because it was isolated in it's own access bay. Nice coach, BTW! But you would expect that for a mil and a half!!!

You basically have to get a good feel for the locations of the components and see if there will be wire routing issues, or whether it is a straight shot.

Sorry I couldn't 'nail' the answer for you........hope this helps a little .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #3

Atwater , California
Thanks Lew,

Trying to get a feel for the time involved since our dealer charged us for over 37 hours labor to do that. I'm hoping to find out what a reasonable amount of time would be for something similar to that job.

Robert
Topdawg044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
37 hours labor WOW! sounds like he was "camped out" in your rig. i'm beside myself on that labor figure. i would run a conduit on a wall before i paid that!
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Check with pat370. He has done it to his rig.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote