Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Great News! The Water Main Burst!

Not the one in the Airstream, the one to the house. Why is that good news? Because now I have to go rent one of those Ditch Witch what-cha-ma-call-its this weekend to replace the main coming up from the street to the house. AND, at the same time, I finally have the chance to dig a ditch out to the Airstream to run 30 Amp service.

So, for those who have done it, any general advice? The only special consideration (AFAIK) is that the electric conduit will pass over the top of the gas line coming into the house. I’ve already had all the underground stuff marked by the utilities, so I have a basic idea of where everything is. Frost isn’t a real issues here in Georgia. I assume bury it a foot or so and I’ll be ok.

Thanks in advance, etc, etc.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
only a foot deep? is there any chance that it will be near a garden or future location for a fence post? what, no line for the tv? ;-)

running the line for the airstream.........priceless!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
So, for those who have done it, any general advice? The only special consideration (AFAIK) is that the electric conduit will pass over the top of the gas line coming into the house.

Jim
Any chance the sewer line could break as well? While you have the big digger, it sure would be nice to put in a private dump station.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Jim,
I would not use metal conduit. I would use direct burial plastic conduit. While you are at it burry a water line too. and why not a potty pipe? I smell a courtsey parking spot in the making!

Hand dig around the marked lines. Breaking one can cause a lot of headache and expense. Go deeper. You have the machine, use it. At least two feet. Find out where the freeze line can be ( not hwere it usually is) and be at least 6 inches below that.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Despite the markings, still be careful when digging. Today at work a contractor broke a gas main - the markings were about 6-8 feet off!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We put ours about 24-30" down...and do hand dig around existing lines.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Now you see, that's why I asked the question of you guys. Great ideas already. Plastic conduit is a must have. And it will run near the septic. Fence is already in.

Michelle, you're welcome around our campfire anytime, coutesy paking or not!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
How about a sewer line?
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I don't know what code is in GA but here in MS it's 2 feet deep for any power.

Check your condut size and wire guage for a correct match.

Length of run and voltage drop calculators are available online.

Run a pull wire in with your power lines for future pulls, use 90 degree sweeps instead of regular 90 pipe joints (yes, regular 90's are available in conduit grey).
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I would use the 3/4" conduit instead of the 1/2" Not much difference in cost and the 3/4 is a lot easier to pull through. Also with the 30amp wire, 1/2 may be tight.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Well if my travels take me south east this winter I will stop by. I am not sure what my schedule is anymore. I may not make the Can opener. I may be working.... Bummer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Just what I would do - not anything too vital...

Suggestions:

1) While you have the trench open lay in a heavy bare copper ground wire in addition to anything running inside the conduit - if you have a close encounter with lightning it will usually save the buried wire from getting damaged.

2) Upgrade to the next wire conductor size since a few dollars more now can save hassles later, and copper is not going to get any cheaper EVER.

3) Run a length of automatic lawn sprinkler control wire in trench to cover telephone and a intrusion or fire alarm circuit in the trailer.

4) Use Schedule 80 plastic conduit - has better UV protection and is much heavier, and oversize the conduit by at least 100% then what you could get away with, and leave a length of cheap polypropylene 1/4" rope in to pull additional wires in the future.

5) Put your conduit UNDER the gas line since its the most likely one to be replaced in the future.

6) Cut the turf 'sod' out and move aside before trenching, and take a 4X4" post or similar to compact earth back into trench or else you will have left over dirt and a long skinny hollow spot next year about this time. I think a electric sod-cutter was $25 rental and well worth it if you have a nice campus.

7) Use the "U" shaped universal bracket used to mount wires and pipe to cast concrete walls-ceiling as reinforcement where conduit exits ground at camping pad if it isn't adjacent to a building - and a bag or two of concrete to beef it up like a fence post to get it more 'lawn-mower' proof. I can't think of the trade name of the 'U' shaped channel but it is a square box with one face open that allows pipe-wire-conduit clamps to slide in and get bolted into place securely...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Use a larger conduit, you willnever regret it.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcru
Use a larger conduit, you willnever regret it.

I agree, I would and have use on my install the 2 inch conduit. MUCH easier to pull wires. I would pull the wires through each 10 foot or 20 foot conduit section and then glue the up. I would also go with the larger wire advice, you will also not regret that choice. They now sell RV boxes (I know I've seen them in campgrounds but they were always a special order item) in the big box stores with the RV 120V 30 amp AND a 120 duplex outlet. Wish I had bought one of those, makes it easier when you want to plug in stuff and don't want to go into the trailer.

BTW - You find out that you have hit something with the Ditch Witch AFTER you hit it. The marked utility stuff is great - HAND DIG those and save yourself the frustration of repairs. Their sensors have been known to be WAY off. Don't ask me how I know.......
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it might be good to locate that gas line by hand first, then use the power stuff.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
Despite the markings, still be careful when digging. Today at work a contractor broke a gas main - the markings were about 6-8 feet off!
In this case the owner doesn't get charged a cost recovery fee/repair fee from the gas company or Fire Department. If you cut the line and it was where it was supposed to be - you'll probably get charged. FYI.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #17
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
OK, so I've got all my stuff together, got the trench ready, etc. Got a basic question for somebody in the know.

The run for this thing is right at 90 feet. It'll be a 30 amp single pole breaker in the panel inside the house, run thru conduit all the way to the pedistal next to the Airstream. SO, will the #10 TNNH be big enough to handle the full load without a lot of line drop? Seems a little long, but I'm pretty sure I've got runs at least that long inside the house for the 15 amp circuits to wall outlets and so on.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #18
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
jim

number 6 copper assuming total is 100 feet.

look it up here Voltage Drop Calculator JavaScript

john
Old 10-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #19
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Private Dump Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Any chance the sewer line could break as well? While you have the big digger, it sure would be nice to put in a private dump station.
That is a VERY good point ! Think about it, you have guest over or you don't go anywhere for a while, you don't have to have that thought in the back of your head about what's going on in the "black tank".

Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #20
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
jim

number 6 copper assuming total is 100 feet.

look it up here Voltage Drop Calculator JavaScript

john
Rats. I was affraid of that. The largest wire that the camper enclosure end is supposed to accept is #8. Will it hurt to trim it down at the connection points to about a # 8 size, or will that cause over heating under a full load?

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427