Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
gray water sensor dead

RE: 2006 Safari 25' FB

After 6 years of use, suddenly the gray water sensor light on the control panel is blank. When I boot up the control panel, all the correct lights flash opposite the gray tank marker. Yet, when boot up is complete, there is no indication color whatsoever for the gray tank.

So I guess I have some sort of electrical problem. I'd love to hear from someone about the logical steps necessary to diagnose this problem and repair it myself, if possible. As a beginning point, it would seem that the control panel itself is working because it flashes all the normal colors during boot up. So when there is no color at full boot up, doesn't that mean that I'm not getting any kind of signal? So the problem is somewhere from the point at which the wire(s) hook up to the panel out to the sensor itself?

Frankly, I looked underneath my trailer and I couldn't even see a sensor connection point to the gray tank. The instruction manual suggests it should be low on the tank. But maybe what I think is the tank is only some kind of protection cover and the sensor is hidden underneath?

I'd appreciate any comments, fellas!
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The tank sensors use a telephone-type RJ-11 connector that is prone to corrosion and failure. It is probably the connector, and not the sensor itself, that has failed.

The sensor is inside the metal pan under the tank. I believe that the usual service procedure is to cut an access hole and then patch it upon completion of the sensor repair. I'm not sure exactly where you have to cut but a look through older threads should reveal a diagram.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Sounds like either a loose connection or a bad sensor. Yes, your gray and black tanks are protected by that huge cover, which must be dropped in order to access the dump valves and sensors. (When I owned one similar to yours, I paid my dealer to install access panels beneath each sensor and dump valve, because, unfortunately, those sensors frequently go bad).

When you unplug the telephone-type connection from the old sensor, look for corrosion on the four little contacts...you may have to crimp on a new terminal.

If you've been satisfied with its reporting accuracy prior to this sensor failing, you don't need to recalibrate the monitor after changing a sensor.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
cover removal

How do you remove the cover to gain access to the sensor? Is that a DIY project or do I need to have a dealer do this?
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote