Old 09-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I used the camera mount top center on the license plate, I recall there were optional screws which I did use. Then I snaked the wires under a trim cover on the bumper, entered the truck just below the rear lights on the right side and powered it from a reverse light. The transmitter is in a side compartment with the tire jack. Works great even with the distance as it is in an Excursion. The video isn't exactly high def but it works well to like up the Propride. I will post photos of I can this weekend.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #16
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
I've looked at several threads on Air Forums as well as other RVing sites and decided to purchase a Garmin RV 760LMT. For those who are looking and don't know much about GPS model numbers... this Garmin unit is for RVs as indicated my the model number. It also has Lifetime Maps and Traffic (LMT) updates. I think 760 refers to the screen size - 6 inch, 7 inch?

The unit has not arrived yet and I haven't even seen one in person. I'm not sure I want or need the RV feature but we'll see how it works and I'll respond to this thread. We can generally tow our Airstream almost anywhere a car can go so I'm not sure what to think about RV features.

With my personality I'm sure to be unhappy about something on this GPS. For starters, all GPS units seem to want me to define the address in a "backwards" manner. Why they don't work similar to the apps on a smart phone I don't know. So I'm hoping with this unit there are at least few things to be unhappy about.

The only reason we need GPS is we've found ourselves in many remote areas that don't have reliable cell phone coverage. The more we travel the more I realize remote doesn't have to be very far from civilization. In fact, sometimes it simply means our cell phone provider doesn't have towers in the area while the other carrier has plenty of towers. I guess it's not always lucrative to have both AT&T and Verizon towers in rural areas with only a few thousand people living in the region.

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I've looked at several threads on Air Forums as well as other RVing sites and decided to purchase a Garmin RV 760LMT. For those who are looking and don't know much about GPS model numbers... this Garmin unit is for RVs as indicated my the model number. It also has Lifetime Maps and Traffic (LMT) updates. I think 760 refers to the screen size - 6 inch, 7 inch?

The unit has not arrived yet and I haven't even seen one in person. I'm not sure I want or need the RV feature but we'll see how it works and I'll respond to this thread. We can generally tow our Airstream almost anywhere a car can go so I'm not sure what to think about RV features.

With my personality I'm sure to be unhappy about something on this GPS. For starters, all GPS units seem to want me to define the address in a "backwards" manner. Why they don't work similar to the apps on a smart phone I don't know. So I'm hoping with this unit there are at least few things to be unhappy about.

The only reason we need GPS is we've found ourselves in many remote areas that don't have reliable cell phone coverage. The more we travel the more I realize remote doesn't have to be very far from civilization. In fact, sometimes it simply means our cell phone provider doesn't have towers in the area while the other carrier has plenty of towers. I guess it's not always lucrative to have both AT&T and Verizon towers in rural areas with only a few thousand people living in the region.
Hi, I have this GPS and love it, but there is one thing sure to upset you.
When you decide to not follow her directions and take a different route, she doesn't start yelling "RECALCULATING".

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #18
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
I received the RV 760LMT yesterday. I downloaded the latest software and maps last night and used it for the first time today.

It's already done something that annoys me - had I followed it's directions I would have been routed to an alternate freeway exit that would have necessitated a second set of "merges" in order to enter the upcoming freeway. The GPS was clearly in conflict with the longstanding DOT direction signs that have existed for years, in conflict with common sense and would have made me merge two more times (the proposed route was following a service road of sorts) rather than simply following the most expedient route and merging once onto the upcoming freeway. This is exactly what I want to avoid when towing the trailer. Clear as mud I'm sure but I'm really annoyed!

Second major annoyance is the fact that this map is almost exclusively for city streets. It has very little definition for parking lots, small side streets, alleys, etc. It appears it will have very little definition, if any, for forest service roads, state park campgrounds, etc. Arggh!

I also realize now that lane assist is a joke. I was traveling on a 5-lane interstate and it indicate visually and audibly that it was appropriate to be in any one of the five lanes even though the exit was less than 1 mile ahead. Had I been in the left lane, towing a trailer and then needed to move all the way to the right in less than one mile I would have been livid!

I'll try using it for another day or two but it may be returned.
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 07-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Did you load in your RV profile during setup? I have the Garmin 760 LMT as well and the lane assist works just fine. Agree with previous posts that directions aren't always perfect, it pays to keep alert. But it talks to us, the speaker is plenty loud enough, and the large 7 inch screen size is great. The screen brightness is adjustable, but it automatically tones down as it gets dark outside. Highlights upcoming RV Parks and Campgrounds, propane, dump stations, gas stations, and restaurants. Warns us when we may be headed where we can't turn around. Does not tell you if the gas station is large enough for your rig. We like the unit overall.

I bought it with the backup wireless camera. Have had zero problems with the wireless transmission. View is a little fish eye though, you have to get used to it. Mounted it on the back of our 25FB on the license plate. Ran the wire inside the large back window, around the edge in between the glass and the screen held in place with wire guides. Exited at the top, drilled a hole in the upper storage cabinet by the side light. Wired a toggle switch into the lighting wires and mounted that next to the electrical outlet in the media cabinet. This allows me to turn it off when not in use so I don't have a constant battery drain. I can unclip the camera and store it between the glass and screen when in storage.

I would buy it again.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #20
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
I've decided to start a new thread since I'm coming at this GPS matter from a slightly different perspective.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...ml#post1821360