Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Arrow GPS info

Hi All,
Nice to once again visit the forums. I'm looking for information regarding GPS gear. We bought a new car with a system built in (it's wonderful) and wonder if it is possible to buy a portable system to move with us from the AS Motorhome to the car without the system and to the tow vehicle for the trailer. What works well, what doesn't? Or, am I asking the impossible? I'd love to hear (make that read) your experiences.
As usual, thanks for the information.

Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Get a portable hand held with WAAS!! like a Garmin 76 or equivalent, just be sure it is WAAS capable.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Navigator, but what is WASS? But I'll look for it.
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
WAAS is an additional signal that improves accuracy.
From the Garmin website: Newer GPS receivers with WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) capability can improve accuracy to less than three meters on average. No additional equipment or fees are required to take advantage of WAAS. Users can also get better accuracy with Differential GPS (DGPS), which corrects GPS signals to within an average of three to five meters. The U.S. Coast Guard operates the most common DGPS correction service. This system consists of a network of towers that receive GPS signals and transmit a corrected signal by beacon transmitters. In order to get the corrected signal, users must have a differential beacon receiver and beacon antenna in addition to their GPS.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Here's a thought, if your carrying a lap top with you, get the Delorme GPS system, it not only shows you where you are but will also plan your trip for you. I've had good luck with it. Stuart
stuart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
just bought the Earthmate USB

new on eBay. Planning on using on my laptop computer on the highway. It's also compatible with my pocket PC so I don't always have to lug the laptop along. It comes with Street Atlas 2004 but I'm also going to get their Topo USA which will show me all the back country roads. Can't wait to try it!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote