Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
GFI outlets not working on Bambi

After camping in heavy rain the outlets labeled GFI on the schematics are not working....the others are. None of the outlets have GFI button to reset.

Didn't find a switch in the fuse box.

All else is working fine.

It is a 2002 Bambi 19'

Where else do I look? Thanks!!
LittleLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
GFI outlets get finicky in wet weather, after all that is kinda their job but you should be able to reset it once it dries out. It's a leak to ground if you want to read how they work. You said, fuse box but maybe mean't breaker panel box? It won't be in the fuse box. Not sure on the 02 models if you have a all in one power center like the 7300 series or separate AC and DC panel which is most likely.
I'm sure somebody with a 02 model will chime in.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
Found out where the breaker panel is located ....under wood panel below wardrobe. You know the one that falls off when traveling. 😊 Will try to reset tomorrow when back at camper. Should be dry as the rainy trip was in April.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Best to have it looked at and see if moisture is getting near it.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Check your outside outlets for water. They are on the GFI as well. If one got wet, it will pop the GFI for sure.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLucy View Post
Found out where the breaker panel is located ....under wood panel below wardrobe. You know the one that falls off when traveling. 😊 Will try to reset tomorrow when back at camper. Should be dry as the rainy trip was in April.
In our 06 Bambi the breaker panel is below the closet next to the vanity. We trip the GFCI every time we wash the Bambi ... That means its doing its job! It's not enough to just push the reset button on the breaker..you have to toggle the breaker completely down to the off position and then back all the way up (on). Good luck!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
Thanks all! Reset pressed and breakers toggled. All outlets working now. Feel that water was from blowing rain while outlet cover was opened, so not to concerned about where it came from but if reoccurring I will get it checked.
Getting ready for fall camping!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
My son surprised me with the following statement when coming back from one of his Master Electrician classes: "A GFI protects the circuit, an Arc-Fault, Ground Fault Interrupter protects you."

At the very least, I will never try to bypass a GFI fault!
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

From what a few electricians have told me

There are sort of three generations of GFI outlets ( or circuit breakers )

The first generation are prone to failure, especially now as they are aged. But they weren't the greatest when they were new.

The second generation were of better quality.

The third generation are VERY sensitive. Sometimes even plugging in a lamp that is turned on will trip them.

Please add to or correct me if I am wrong. I am not an actor but I play one on TV.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote