Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #1

2016 27' International
Mayfield , Kentucky
GFCI Breaker keeps tripping

I’ve read other threads but none seem to be solving my problem. I have been plugged into “shore power” (both into a 20A at home and 30A at the campground) and my 20A GFCI breaker in the trailer keeps tripping. I can reset it only to have it trip a few minutes later. Sometimes it will trip with a minute, other times it will wait 10 minutes before tripping. On this circuit is the lavatory receptacle, galley receptacle, outside receptacle, reefer receptacle, main area TV receptacle, dinette receptacle, and blu-Ray player receptacle. Nothing is plugged into any receptacle other than the fridge. However, when I have the fridge in LP mode only, the breaker still trips. Any thoughts? Should I replace with a regular breaker and install GFCI outlets at each location to find the fault? I’ve attached the circuit diagram for your reference. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	046107FE-C18F-4B97-89DB-B9A93A63C345.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	340921  
jbdelapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Your exterior ac outlet may have moisture. The cover gasket may be letting rain/wash water in and tripping the breaker.

Also, may be a faulty GFI breaker.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
Your exterior ac outlet may have moisture. The cover gasket may be letting rain/wash water in and tripping the breaker.

Agree, on both points. Lucky it is easy to inspect and to fix.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

2016 27' International
Mayfield , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post

Thanks, SilverWind. I figured the GFCI breaker was either bad, or the fault has to be somewhere on that circuit so I've been doing my best to follow it around. It's a relatively newer AS (2016) so I'm not overly concerned there is some bad wiring or a connection issue somewhere. However, I did have the trailer detailed before taking it out last week to the campground. I asked if a pressure washer was used and he assured me there was none used, but maybe a seal was broke on the outside outlet. I'll pull off and may install a GFCI outlet there and normal 20amp breaker (temporarily) to see if the outlet trips first. If nothing happens, I'll work my way down the line with that GFCI outlet to see if I can discover the where the circuit fault is.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Replaced Siemens breaker: all good

Hoping this allays someone else’s anxiety. Same story here: for no apparent reason constant tripping of GFCI on 2016 Classic.

Had recently replaced converter, but nothing else. Trip. Reset. Long delay (hours or days). Trip. Reset. Then shorter intervals. When the fridge would not run on shore power, I had to act.

In those fleeting moments when the breaker was set, I checked all outlets with tester. All good. Went to local big box and bought another Siemens GFCI. Must buy same electrical system as installed in AS. Others may not fit.

First time I switched it on after install, it tripped. ARRGGHH. In case I had crossed neutral and ground, I moved wires and tried again. Got an error message. So I attached the wires where they had been and flipped the switch.

For 24 hours we have had all GFCI circuits running.

So it seems on 2016 Classics, there was a bad batch of GFCI breakers as others have said.
Davidwantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #6

2016 27' International
Mayfield , Kentucky
Solved!

As David wrote below, the culprit is the faulty GFCI breaker. I didn't replace with a Siemens 20A breaker, but went with another reputable brand single pole 20A GFCI of similar size (I took the faulty Siemens GFCI with me). I turned off all power, closed all breaker switches, installed the new breaker, then turned on power to the airstream. Two weeks later, I haven't had it trip since!
Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One simple thing to try:

Grab a can of silicone lube spray and douse the outside outlet. Probably best to leave it open for a bit after you do.

Since the breaker also feeds things like the kitchen outlet, wiring in a standard breaker plus "normal" GCFI's means doing multiples. Also the "wall" in an AS is mighty thin. Finding a GCFI that actually fits in the shallow opening is likely to be tough.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
West linn , Oregon
GFCI circuit repeatedly tripping

Thank you all for the helpful discussion and potential solutions. We have had exactly the same problem with our 2016 FC 26U GFCI circuit tripping at random intervals from every 10 minuted to a few hours, often with nothing plugged in at all other than the refrigerator, which seems to be working fine. Happens only when using shore power. Have worked thru troubleshooting and checking the circuits and concluded the GFCI breaker was bad. Not confident the ones available on Amazon would be equivalent as nothing matched the Siemens model number we had. The physical size would have to be exact. The service guy at the Airstream dealership said they don't typically stock those but generally just get replacement breakers at Home Depot, etc. I checked several places including Home Depot as well as other area RV supply facilities, and finally found a suitable replacement at Lowes. Relatively easy to replace with 3 wire connections. Now works fine; no more tripping! Hope this experience is helpful to the group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5034.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	396033  
Lab lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I want to thank everyone for this thread. I was having the same issue and replaced the breaker. Simple swamp and everything runs fine now!
dkdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote