Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
I had a similar problem with my 72 Sovereign. I could feel current especially when hooking up the water supply and the ground was damp or wet. ...
In the 70's Airstreams (and maybe others) you have another path to put power on the shell--the "reversed power light." This light should be removed because if the RV park has reversed power and also has an open ground, then the shell will have power through the filament of the bulb and nothing will blow, except you, of course, when you step down onto wet ground.

Quote:
For home wiring, whenever you wire an 110v outlet to a metal box that box acts as a ground so an additional wire isn't needed for the ground. Couldn't the same be said for an aluminum Airstream?
Mike, the answer is "maybe." The metal box has to have a ground wire to the power system ground and the local ground stake. In the "old days" power wires didn't have the third bare ground wire--ground was supplied by the metal box and the protective flexible metalic sheath that was around the power wires. You cannot rely on this method today, especially if the metal box is part of a pre-60's house installation.

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Grounds and Neutrals

The neutral wires within the trailer should not be grounded. Only the ground wire (the bare or green wire) is grounded. There should be two terminal strips within the 120 volt AC panel. One is the Neutral (white wires); This terminal strip should not be grounded, it should be isolated from the metal box with some type of insulating material like bakolite. The other is the Ground (bare wires); at least one of these wires, preferable one of the larger wires should be connected to the skin and/or frame.
If you are getting shocked by the trailer skin, the chances are good that the neutral and hot wire are reversed at the shorepower outlet or in the shore power cord and the neutral wire is connected to the skin and the earth ground does not exist. If the hot and neutral are reversed and there was actually a ground path, the circuit breaker would trip when you plugged in the trailer.
All circuits should be tested with a circuit tester like the one I have attached here. I have also attached a photo of the proper receptacle and cord end for the shore power cord.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shore Power Hardware.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	126731  
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
TG Twinkie,
I guess I didn't word my question properly. I'm not asking if it's okay to cross connect the ground and neutral (I know you shouldn't do that). My question is: To ground a modern 3-pronged outlet do I need to connect a bare ground wire to the ground screw then connect that wire to the frame? Or does the fact that I screwed the outlet into the metal interior skin satisfy the ground? (Note: The grounding screw is attached to the same metal plate that the bottom mounting screw goes through).

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Grounding methods

Here are a couple of ways to ground the device and the box. The ground wire you use should be part of the Romex cable where one end goes to the power panel and is connected to the ground bus. Black to circuit breaker; White to Neutral buss.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp grounding methods.bmp (576.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 06-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
please correct me if i'm wrong

Why is the 120v ground attached to the trailer shell?

Although current should never flow through ground if all 120v items are working properly, In the event of a short to ground in a device that is plugged in, I would want the current through the ground wire to only go the the campground power source NOT through my trailer shell. #1 The shell will be live. #2 the 120v could feed into my 12v system through the 12v neutral aka ground and cause problems.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
As far as I know all the boxes in the trailer are non metalic, therefore there is no place for the ground wire to contact the skin. I think the only place the AC ground wire would be attached to the frame is at the panel, usually a #6 wire goes to the frame from the ground buss in the panel. That way if a hot wire AC comes in contact with the skin, it will be taken to ground and the breaker should trip instantly.