Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Generators OK for TV's (televisions)?

Real short; but important for me..........We have a storm coming and I wonder if the newer TV's can be used with a regular ol generator. Seems I have read that the cycles or something will ruin a flat screen/hd type tv........I also have a Honda 3K inverter that causes them NO problems but is made to do this...........We have used it exclusively for several years with our Airstream trailer which is our Video business traveling studio with no problems; but here at the house my Genset is just the plain ol type of 8K genset......thoughts??????.........thanks and God bless......Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would only trust a china generator to run a lightbulb.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Stick with the Honda.

Stick with the Honda. The old style rotary gensets are not a constant/reliable source of 120volt/60cylce power. It could damage our TV.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow View Post
Real short; but important for me..........We have a storm coming and I wonder if the newer TV's can be used with a regular ol generator. Seems I have read that the cycles or something will ruin a flat screen/hd type tv........I also have a Honda 3K inverter that causes them NO problems but is made to do this...........We have used it exclusively for several years with our Airstream trailer which is our Video business traveling studio with no problems; but here at the house my Genset is just the plain ol type of 8K genset......thoughts??????.........thanks and God bless......Dennis
Inverter style only. I have a Honda 6500 that is not Inverter and I reserve that for fridge, heat and a light or two. Motors are less susceptable to slight fluctuation in voltage and frequency.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I would only go inverter type generator for sensitive electronics, however if you have the ability to run the TV off of a battery pack (like a UPS for computers) you can power the UPS via a regular generator. This is what we do at our house for power outages. The battery backup acts as a filter.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Went thru a few hurricanes here with the TV running off a 6500 watt gen.,worked for us 2 weeks was the longest outage. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I would only go inverter type generator for sensitive electronics, however if you have the ability to run the TV off of a battery pack (like a UPS for computers) you can power the UPS via a regular generator. This is what we do at our house for power outages. The battery backup acts as a filter.

Aaron
Am kinda ignorant about this........sooooo.......I go down to Radio Shack and ask for what???????

And NO I can't use the Honda 3k at the house just the ol fashioned 8k genset.......The Honda is for the Airstream and the house is hard wired for the 8K........NOT gonna run extension cords for the Honda 3K.......Gotta be a better way.............thanks guys......Dennis
Old 01-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I'd be more worried about catastrophic failure of the generator causing damage to TV than just the oddities of its normal output.

Personally, if the generator was a reputable brand, with an established track record, the voltage is normal range, and the TV is of normal value--I'd go ahead and use the TV.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Your old generator is fine for your TV and most other electronics. Your TV doesn't use the power straight out of the outlet. It uses a capacitor to filter the electricity.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Yes the TV uses a switching power supply. It may run slightly warmer with unusual waveforms but the output should be very well filtered. You should run a common surge protector on it however.

The generator's output is much better, superior to, a modified sine wave inverter.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow

Am kinda ignorant about this........sooooo.......I go down to Radio Shack and ask for what???????

And NO I can't use the Honda 3k at the house just the ol fashioned 8k genset.......The Honda is for the Airstream and the house is hard wired for the 8K........NOT gonna run extension cords for the Honda 3K.......Gotta be a better way.............thanks guys......Dennis
You want what is called a uninterruptible power supply (ups). They are available from best buy or any computer store. You do not need a big one, you are most interested in the power filtering capabilities. When a generator is started or is running out of gas you can hear fluctuations in the engine which translates to surges and dips in power. A surge protector will protect you from surges but sensitive electronics can be damaged by dips in current also. A ups has a battery in it that will maintain the the steady current through the peaks and valleys of the power supply. Think of this as insurance. The other option was mentioned above, a inverter or pure sine generator.
Brianv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Thanks Brian for the clear advice and recommendations........NOW I understand from ALL of the advice given what to do and go shopping for.......God bless YOU all and especially OUR Country.......Dennis
Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
99.9% of all motor homes come with generators installed and there is "no" notice or warning to not operate TV's or any other household appliance on the generator.

A generator in "not" a MSW inverter as many people seem to think, they put out a sinusoid waveform regulated at 60cps. Not a perfect sine-wave but close enough.

A properly installed home generator will have a transfer switch installed so the generator will be up to speed before applying power and isolate the commercial power.