Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #43
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
First, a well-deserved "thank you" to all Honda generator customers here.

For now, all Honda units will continue to have a carburetor, and rejetting is a fact of life > 5,000 feet. Fuel-injection would solve a LOT of issues. I've heard some talk of Honda distributors in India have already tinkered with this and gotten good results, and have the attention of the EU-series design engineers in Japan.

Development requires a long lead time, plenty of planning, and hundreds of hours of research, as well as "proving" to management how many more Honda can sell if we make this change. But, the system works. I think the majority of people who own a Honda generator would agree, the unit that rolls off the line at the very end is worth the wait.

Hang on!
I know you guys can do it. My Honda SH150i uses an engine very similar in size/output to a generator engine. It is absolutely flawless. Perfect starting, driveability, clean exhaust, just runs great! It can be one premium model, while the other models remain intact. You get that thing out and I'll craigslist my Yamaha the first week. And if you're chatting with design engineers, here's a couple more things: truck bed height so it goes under a bed cover (many fullsize trucks), operable in the rain, and wheels. How about fuel tank built in on the side (no need for gravity with fuel injection) so an LPG model could be made smaller without the tank? I wouldn't even mind if if it used an external gas tank like an outboard. I know fussy fussy

Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #44
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
How about this- a modular side mounted fuel tank with quick disconnect system? The ability to use Honda outboard tanks for more capacity. Keeps the main generator lower, lighter and smaller. Allows for more flexibility for operation, and to keep it fundamentally the same for those that don't want to bother with external tanks. But would allow the tank to easily be disconnected and filled at another location. It would also help facilitate keeping the fuel fresh in the tank.

This for a 3000 watt unit.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #45
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
How about this- a modular side mounted fuel tank with quick disconnect system? The ability to use Honda outboard tanks for more capacity. Keeps the main generator lower, lighter and smaller. Allows for more flexibility for operation, and to keep it fundamentally the same for those that don't want to bother with external tanks. But would allow the tank to easily be disconnected and filled at another location.

This for a 3000 watt unit.
Good for safety; no need to refill a hot generator, so less chance of fire.

Good for when you use ethanol-containing gasoline, too; easier to drain the tank when you're done.

Sounds like a winner to me!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
External tanks are nice, no doubt. Too bad they aren't EPA certified for use with portable generators, or Honda would likely offer a system.

That's right, event though the external tanks, fittings, hoses, etc. are "EPA certified," it is, by EPA rules, considered "tampering" to connect any such device to a small gas engine not certified to use that device (like an outboard). That's why Honda does not offer or endorse use of external tanks on any of their generators; to do so would violate EPA rules.

Now Honda could try and build/provide an external tank and get it certified, but has not done so yet. My crystal ball is foggy today, sorry.

So what about all these companies that offer external tanks for Honda generators and claim "EPA approved?"

Well, the parts they sell are EPA approved, that's true. They can legally do that, and no regulations are in violation until any part of the emissions [read:fuel] system on the engine is altered from its factory/EPA certified state. Since EPA rules cover both exhaust and evaporative emissions rules, any part of the fuel system is off-limits for modification lest yea be in violation of EPA regulations.

Bottom line? EU2 customers want more fuel tank options, either bigger or external, that's clear. I can tell you Honda is absolutely aware of this, and always looking for ways to make improvements.

Finally, the EPA is not likely to start busting RV'ers at campgrounds running "illegal" external tanks, and will probably focus on importers who use counterfeit EPA labels and businesses who deal with small gas engines and openly flaunt EPA rules.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
External tanks are nice, no doubt. Too bad they aren't EPA certified for use with portable generators, or Honda would likely offer a system.

That's right, event though the external tanks, fittings, hoses, etc. are "EPA certified," it is, by EPA rules, considered "tampering" to connect any such device to a small gas engine not certified to use that device (like an outboard). That's why Honda does not offer or endorse use of external tanks on any of their generators; to do so would violate EPA rules.

Now Honda could try and build/provide an external tank and get it certified, but has not done so yet. My crystal ball is foggy today, sorry.

So what about all these companies that offer external tanks for Honda generators and claim "EPA approved?"

Well, the parts they sell are EPA approved, that's true. They can legally do that, and no regulations are in violation until any part of the emissions [read:fuel] system on the engine is altered from its factory/EPA certified state. Since EPA rules cover both exhaust and evaporative emissions rules, any part of the fuel system is off-limits for modification lest yea be in violation of EPA regulations.

Bottom line? EU2 customers want more fuel tank options, either bigger or external, that's clear. I can tell you Honda is absolutely aware of this, and always looking for ways to make improvements.

Finally, the EPA is not likely to start busting RV'ers at campgrounds running "illegal" external tanks, and will probably focus on importers who use counterfeit EPA labels and businesses who deal with small gas engines and openly flaunt EPA rules.

Boy! This sounds so familiar....for all you guys who chip, recalibrate........your trucks.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote