Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #29
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Thumbs up

Switch to LPG...mixture can be adjusted at the low pressure regulator. No funky carb problems, very little exhaust stink, plus you can still run on gas if needed.

Bob

"Tahawus"

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland. 😂
RLC

“It’s a crooked piece of time that we live in….”
John Prine
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
My Honda 3000 fit under my Truxedo bed cover. I just rolled it back halfway to run the gen. As I posted earlier I now have a topper so I slide the gen. out to the tailgate and rotate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0818.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	159113  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #31
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
My Honda 3000 fit under my Truxedo bed cover. I just rolled it back halfway to run the gen. As I posted earlier I now have a topper so I slide the gen. out to the tailgate and rotate.

Love the Safari.. yours is the year I was born and looking for one kinda.. wife doesnt know

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #32
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Robert glad you are here .
I think when he said Fits below a pickup bed cover he meant for storage /transport not running. I think truck beds aren't tall enough for a 22" tall generator (like the Honda EU300IS) to fit under a cover.
I have the 3000 also and yes....with my RETRAX slide cover bed cover would be nice if I could secure it. Main reason I don't take it everywhere I go.

A dissapointment..I bought it mainly for the longevity it will run without babying it with fuel.

Honda will come around someday.....
Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Switch to LPG...mixture can be adjusted at the low pressure regulator. No funky carb problems, very little exhaust stink, plus you can still run on gas if needed.

Bob

Sounds good, what LP conversion do you have?
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #34
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Thumbs up

I have the dual use conversion from US Carburetion.

This will be the 5th Season with it, been a worthwhile up-grade for us.

The install instructions were a little vague at the time, don't know if that's any different now. Some have said the customer service has improved a lot lately, probably best to call if your serious.

Did make some mod's to the low pressure supply lines,(green & yellow), and bought a second front panel from Honda,($12?), so I don't have to have the LP regulator mounted when running on gas. You can see the black mixture screw & lock nut on the LPG manifold.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 001.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	658.5 KB
ID:	159142   Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 012.jpg
Size:	661.1 KB
ID:	159143  

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 005.jpg
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	159144  

"Tahawus"

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland. 😂
RLC

“It’s a crooked piece of time that we live in….”
John Prine
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #35
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We bought a Honda 1000 w. generator about 4 years ago and I think we may have 10 hours on it. We use it for backup when boondocking and solar does not keep up with the batteries—usually in the fall, under trees and such.

It always starts and is low maintenance. So far so good, but…

The 1000 w. generators are disappearing from CW and probably other places. Some only need a small unit (like us), but maybe everyone else needs A/C all the time. Maybe the market is dictating, or larger ones provide more profits for Honda. Making it hard to find the lighter unit (1,000 w.) means fewer sales to people who can't lift or move the larger units, a large part of the target consumer group—RV owners. I don't think Honda has much leverage with retailers (Yamaha and others make good generators too) and is glad to sell the larger units anyway.

When I tried to figure out where the carb is I saw a warning in the manual to take it to a Honda dealer. I'll do everything I can to avoid a Honda dealer and fix it myself. It would be better if the manual described how to adjust it for altitude—a big deal here in Colorado—clean and otherwise maintain it. Altitude adjustments could be made simple, or automatic, and I wish Honda had provided such.

It is a good generator, but managed to disappoint on the altitude adjustment and carb maintenance. It was on sale, so I've only paid about $60/hour for it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
...but the current units have been out for at least ten years. How about some major updates? Not only tired of the clogged carbs (somewhat preventable with care), but tired of super rich operating conditions at 7-10K ft. elevation. These units are subject to operation at very different elevations, often on same trip. Jetting changes PITA.

Anyway love Honda products in general. For me Honda equals bulletproof.
First, a well-deserved "thank you" to all Honda generator customers here.

For now, all Honda units will continue to have a carburetor, and rejetting is a fact of life > 5,000 feet. Fuel-injection would solve a LOT of issues. I've heard some talk of Honda distributors in India have already tinkered with this and gotten good results, and have the attention of the EU-series design engineers in Japan.

Development requires a long lead time, plenty of planning, and hundreds of hours of research, as well as "proving" to management how many more Honda can sell if we make this change. But, the system works. I think the majority of people who own a Honda generator would agree, the unit that rolls off the line at the very end is worth the wait.

Hang on!
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #37
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
For your consideration…

Are you using ethanol gasoline in your generators? If so, then I have a suggestion, courtesy of my father, who runs a small-engine repair business— lawn mowers, chainsaws, generators.

When you're done with your generator, run it until the tank is empty and it starves itself of fuel, or drain the tank AND the carburator bowl before storing it away.

This one precaution will likely do more to prevent clogged/gummed up carbs than just about anything else you could do. My father says that 80% of his business these days is from people who store their equipment with ethanol still in the tank, and the problems are usually: (1) the ethanol chemically binds with condensation in the tank; (2) the fuel degrades because gasoline no longer has stabilizers added to increase the shelf life, thanks to emissions standards (stabilizers are pollutants when burned); (3) ethanol fuel is mixed with non-ethanol fuel (the additives in non-ethanol fuel combine with ethanol to form a sludge).
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
As someone who bought a Honda generator a couple months ago, I'm even happier with my choice now that I see a Honda employee here posting. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Are you using ethanol gasoline in your generators? If so, then I have a suggestion, courtesy of my father, who runs a small-engine repair business— lawn mowers, chainsaws, generators.
I think my dad just met your dad. For him it was a pressure washer that's only a few months old, but he was told the exact same thing. The guy said it was a once-a-day thing for them. His other suggestion was to add fuel stabilizers, which I do anyway with my mower and generator's gas cans since I know I'm not going to be using the gas quickly.

My feeling is that any gasoline device these days should be able to handle 10% ethanol. The nearest station that sells non-ethanol gas is 50 miles from me. I'm not driving that far just to get 2 gallons of gas.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #39

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
His other suggestion was to add fuel stabilizers, which I do anyway with my mower and generator's gas cans since I know I'm not going to be using the gas quickly.
I agree. Stabilizers are good, if they're compatible with ethanol; check the label before you use! Stabilizers keep the fuel from getting "stale" for long-term storage, but they are not a complete fix for ethanol-related problems, just some of them.

I'd say, drain the generator's gasoline when you're done with it, but add stabilizer to the fuel cans for the next time. Ethanol gasoline should be stored in fuel cans, not in generators.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 05-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Ethanol gasoline should be stored in fuel cans, not in generators.
+1,000

I'd love to have this label [attached] on all power equipment products, but it would kill the service business for the industry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ethanol warning sticker.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	159275  
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #41
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Are you guys talking about E-85 or regular gas which has 10% or maybe 15% ethanol?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #42

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Are you guys talking about E-85 or regular gas which has 10% or maybe 15% ethanol?

Gene

Makes little difference. Even 10% ethanol causes problems for gasoline engines not specifically designed for it. Which includes most generators that are more than a year or two in age.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4