Old 05-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The original Honda 3000 blows cooling air over the muffler and also picks up the exhaust gasses in the cooling air stream. There is a relatively large grill on one end that both the heat and exhaust air come out of. The gasses are quite diluted by all this excess cooling air. I think you will be just fine if you simply direct the cooling air to the open rear of the truck cap, that is not to one side or to the front of the truck, but out the back.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
I have been doing that for years. I open the window on the cap, leave the tailgate open. Sometimes I set up a fan to blow the fumes out of the truck bed and add some cooling air to the generator. wolf146
Howdy!

I agree if you believe you may have a problem place a fan in the rear of the TV plugged into the generator to vent it and supply cool air.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon

Old 05-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
As long as you leave the tailgate down, you could point the exhaust toward the open air (and maybe the trailer if hitched). Open the side windows on the camper for better circulation.

I think the 3,000 watt weighs close to 100 lbs., so I can see why they don't want to move it.

Gene
Gene,
There are two versions of the 3000, one weights 78 lbs, the other, 134 lbs.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would strongly consider a fan to remove exhaust and heat. Generators produce a lot of heat and you don't want to burn up something that expensive. As long as the exhaust and the cooling air are vented away then you are good. Some sort of thermometer on the air intake of the generator might be a good idea just to see how much hotter the air going into the generator is than the outside air temp. As someone else said moving the generator to the tailgate would be a good idea.

Perry
Old 05-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I placed my Honda 3000 in a black feeder tray from Farm & Fleet. When I run the generator I just slide it out on to the tailgate with the exhust facing to the side. Slides very easy and stays chained to the truck. No fumes inside the topper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0265.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	158904  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
I know of some EU3000is users who run the generator in a confined space, and this can cause the engine to drawn in exhaust gas. This often causes the spark arrestor to become clogged with deposits. The arrestor is a thin window-screen type of material, and it can become so restricted and affect the engine's operation by limiting the exhaust flow, creating backpressure, etc.

While you can clean the deposits from the arrestor, it's best to have plenty of open space on all sides of the generator for performance and safety reasons. Honda says this should be 3 feet. FWIW.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
My apologies for the semi off topic post.

But why doesn't at least on mfg. come out with a 3000ish generator which:

1. Fits below a pickup bed cover.
2. Catalytic converter
3. Fuel injection with altitude compensation.
4. Quiet inverter style.

I would be happy to pay any reasonable price premium.

I've had two scooters now, one a Honda SH150i and a Yamaha Majesty 400. Both have small fuel injected engines, and both produce no exhaust odor at all once warmed up. I'm not equating lack of exhaust odor with safety, but there is some correlation. Am I the only one that generator exhaust smell seems to follow me around like campfire smoke?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Gene,
There are two versions of the 3000, one weights 78 lbs, the other, 134 lbs.
I think the 3000 Handi should of been called a 2800 because it puts out less.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
But why doesn't at least on mfg. come out with a 3000ish generator which:
1. Fits below a pickup bed cover.
2. Catalytic converter
3. Fuel injection with altitude compensation.
4. Quiet inverter style.
No internal combustion type electric generator maker will ever promote or intentionally suggest a generator be operated under a cover/truck bed; there are far too many safety/liability concerns, and I doubt there would be a significant market for a unit that could safely be plumbed and vented with total safety 'cause if it did, that's the only place you'd be able to use it, thus greatly restricting the usable market. What is more likely is a generator that is more tolerant of weather (waterproof outlets/connections, intake and exhaust designed for use in all weather, etc.) and could be fixed mounted.

A catalytic converter is already used on some models to help them meet emissions requirements. The rules the EPA and California ARB (Air Resources Board) have in place now and the near future dictate what emissions levels (both exhaust and evaporative) are going to be, and manufacturer's follow suit. It's been shown time and time again, meeting or exceeding emissions levels is all the buying public wants and the government demands.

Fuel injection is drawing a LOT of attention with small gas engine companies. The advent of ethanol and alternate fuels are making it harder and harder to keep customers happy with 110-year old venturi carburetor designs. Honda has a few small scooters with 125cc engines that already have fuel injection; I will speculate it may only be time before a key generator company adopts fuel injection for their products, provided there's plenty of evidence to support sales to make such products profitable. Whoever does it first is in for a wild ride; there are millions of anxious users out there who are tired of clogged carburetors.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #24
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Robert,

Its nice to have you here from a factory level and provide feedback and take some as well. I have two Honda's just recently purchased that im running together when excess load demands for it. So I am a fan at this point but would love to see them go with fuel injection. The simplicity of a carburetor is appealing though I must say. So thanks again for joining and Welcome to the Airforums, we are really happy you're here. Im sure our members appreciate it also.

Thanks Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Robert glad you are here .
I think when he said Fits below a pickup bed cover he meant for storage /transport not running. I think truck beds aren't tall enough for a 22" tall generator (like the Honda EU300IS) to fit under a cover.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Robert glad you are here .
I think when he said Fits below a pickup bed cover he meant for storage /transport not running. I think truck beds aren't tall enough for a 22" tall generator (like the Honda EU300IS) to fit under a cover.
You might be right. However, sure as anything, there would be someone who tries to operate their generator under the pickup bed cover to keep it from getting rained on, so Robert's cautionary response is still well taken.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question Wet...

Rain?

Bob
Attached Images

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #28
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
No internal combustion type electric generator maker will ever promote or intentionally suggest a generator be operated under a cover/truck bed; there are far too many safety/liability concerns, and I doubt there would be a significant market for a unit that could safely be plumbed and vented with total safety 'cause if it did, that's the only place you'd be able to use it, thus greatly restricting the usable market. What is more likely is a generator that is more tolerant of weather (waterproof outlets/connections, intake and exhaust designed for use in all weather, etc.) and could be fixed mounted.

A catalytic converter is already used on some models to help them meet emissions requirements. The rules the EPA and California ARB (Air Resources Board) have in place now and the near future dictate what emissions levels (both exhaust and evaporative) are going to be, and manufacturer's follow suit. It's been shown time and time again, meeting or exceeding emissions levels is all the buying public wants and the government demands.

Fuel injection is drawing a LOT of attention with small gas engine companies. The advent of ethanol and alternate fuels are making it harder and harder to keep customers happy with 110-year old venturi carburetor designs. Honda has a few small scooters with 125cc engines that already have fuel injection; I will speculate it may only be time before a key generator company adopts fuel injection for their products, provided there's plenty of evidence to support sales to make such products profitable. Whoever does it first is in for a wild ride; there are millions of anxious users out there who are tired of clogged carburetors.
Thanks for your comments, appreciate them. My thought on fitting in the bed of the pickup was for storage/security purpose rather than operating purpose. My current Yamaha 3000 boost towers above the pickup bed. I'd wish these units were sized with pickup bed and cover in mind. Perhaps the Honda units are, but like the wheels of the Yamaha.

Count me in for the first fuel injected/ catalyst generator. This may be needling a bit, but the current units have been out for at least ten years. How about some major updates? Not only tired of the clogged carbs (somewhat preventable with care), but tired of super rich operating conditions at 7-10K ft. elevation. These units are subject to operation at very different elevations, often on same trip. Jetting changes PITA.

Anyway love Honda products in general. For me Honda equals bulletproof.