Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Brentwood , Tennessee
Generator Primer

I am considering buying a generator or generators. It seems that Honda is the generator of choice and that most of the people using them at our last campsite without power had two units operating together. Could anyone give me some information and suggestions about the units to buy and what I can expect from them by way of performance, e.g. will they run a/c and all other appliances needing shore power or are there limitations? Thanks.
Ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A single generator, unless it has a very large output, is not enough to provide enough power to run our AC units. The ones most written about here are the Honda's and Yamaha's. Singly they will do pretty much all other functions except AC, are very reliable and quiet. Double them up or have one large enough and we can relax in AC comfort on a hot day so long as the generator has fuel. So where do you spend most of your camping days ?? If at a site with 30a power you will have AC and don't need a generator. BUT, if you spend time dry camping in areas where it's hot and humid you might be a candidate for generator power. So evaluate your needs and begin reading here in the forums. There's pages and pages enough to put you to sleep but you will be able to make a decision on what generator, what fuel etc. will suit your needs

PS: We have been off the grid for up to 4 days in high elevation on battery power alone and have been fine. So no AC needs yet. I do carry a generator with me. It' a contractor style so not really quiet but it will keep me charged up if I need it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
First one is a standard EU2000i. Second is called the EU2000i Companion. The Companion has a single 110 outlet and a 30amp outlet. It comes with an adapter to allow you to hook up your AS power cord. One caution. Honda generators DO NOT ship with oil installed. They need to be filled prior to use otherwise a good chance they will seize.

You may still need to manage load. If the AC is on for example don't turn on a toaster....
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote