Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 05:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Anahuac , Texas
Generator power

Hey y’all
I am fixing to buy a new generator to run our A/C because we are going to try a little boondocking. Seriously considering the new Honda 2200 with the companion wired in sequence, anyway I keep seeing posts about inverters and such, we have 2007 Classic Limited 30’. While I realize that when on generator power the A/C will be pretty much all I can run. What do I need to be doing to make sure I don’t burn my trailer down, or is this set up just plug and play. This will be my first time to use a generator for this application, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Steve
shb2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
It’s pretty straightforward. Set up your generators with the parallel cable. Start both generators. Plug your shore power cord into the Companion outlet using whatever adapters are needed. My adapter came with the parallel kit.
With two Honda 2000’s I can run the AC (with Easy Start kit) and microwave at the same time, but not the AC and electric water heater.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Check out Champion and you probably will need a generator/inverter with at least 3KW. You might make it on one smaller unit if you install a soft start package.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Only possible issue is that some generators need a neutral-ground (safety earth) connection to satisfy surge protector/EMS systems. They will throw a fault code and shut down power if neutral and ground are not properly bonded at the generator.

Side note: A Surge suppressor/EMS system, either portable or built-in is a good thing to have to protect the electrical stuff inside your Airstream from surges, spikes, over-voltage and under voltage on the shore power cord. Search the forums for a discussion and a wide range of opinions. IMHO, I don't leave home without one in the AS system. Heck, my power fluctuates enough at home when I plug into the 30 amp RV outlet there I still use one at home...

The reason this happens is that, by design and the National Electric Code (NEC), the AC power return (Neutral, typically white wire) and the Safety Earth (green, bare or 'ground') wires are NOT connected inside the Airstream. The shore power cable carries these wires separately out to the plug, and the box or receptacle you plug it into is required to provide the connection between ground and neutral at the breaker box.

Most generators, either inverter (relatively quiet) or contractor type (the really noisy ones) have a "floating neutral" setup. The neutral and ground are NOT connected in the generator. There is an easy fix:

Buy a "Neutral bonding plug" or build a standard 3-prong plug with the neutral side (wider blade of the two, silver screw, white wire) tied to the ground connection (longer U-shaped or roundish blade, green screw, green wire) inside the plug with a piece of #12 wire. When you use the generator to power your Airstream, stick this plug into ANY duplex outlet on either generator. Then the EMS will be happy, and power up properly.

A really careful, safety first, slightly paranoid generator user like me would also connect the generator's frame ground lug (usually a copper-colored clamp or bolt with a nut on it) to either a driven into the earth ground rod, or tie a suitable jumper wire with an appropriate clamp to a well grounded metallic water system pipe for safety...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote