Old 05-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #15

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
bartonville , Texas
Two A/C 's

We are brand new to camping and Airstreams. On a whim, we purchased a loaded EB from Sutton as a year end close out. We were excited about the two A/C heat pump units for our hot Texas summers, but want to do mostly boon docking. So we have the same questions about generator sets.

I purchased two Yamaha clones from costco at $600 each. They are now parallel capable but you have to purchase the $75 cable directly from the company. I was planning on using this system to run 1 A/C only while we dry camp and would run the second A/C only when tied into shore power. I am not really sure how to shut down the second a/c using the fairly complicated thermostat.

If this works I was going to replace the two generators with tri fuel Yamaha's that we could tote in the back of the Jeep without having to deal with gasoline issues.

This seems to be a more reasonable alternative and gives us more flexibility to use the Jeep as our TV compared to leaving a 6500kw unit in the back of the truck.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXargentum View Post
We are brand new to camping and Airstreams. On a whim, we purchased a loaded EB from Sutton as a year end close out. We were excited about the two A/C heat pump units for our hot Texas summers, but want to do mostly boon docking. So we have the same questions about generator sets.

I purchased two Yamaha clones from costco at $600 each. They are now parallel capable but you have to purchase the $75 cable directly from the company. I was planning on using this system to run 1 A/C only while we dry camp and would run the second A/C only when tied into shore power. I am not really sure how to shut down the second a/c using the fairly complicated thermostat.

If this works I was going to replace the two generators with tri fuel Yamaha's that we could tote in the back of the Jeep without having to deal with gasoline issues.

This seems to be a more reasonable alternative and gives us more flexibility to use the Jeep as our TV compared to leaving a 6500kw unit in the back of the truck.
In our trailer you use the "zone" function. Zone 1 is the front, and zone 2 is the rear.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
In answer to the earlier question regarding the running of a generator in an enclosed pick up bed here is a solution. I run mine and have had a plumbing union welded to the exhaust pipe at the manifold. From there I have stainless flexible hose to extend the exhaust to the rear and outward. Being careful to route the hose I can run the generator inside the truck with exhaust outward. Keeps the noise reasonable and stays in the truck. Works great the few times I have needed to use it.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
See ya'll on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Do both A/C compressors start independently or at the same time?

In my recent tour in a motorhome with three A/C units each one would start about 30 seconds apart, I suspect to avoid the large load if they all started at one time. Does the two A/C set up on the Airstreams work the same way, i.e., a delayed starting procedure controlled by the thermostat software?
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Generator for New Two A/C Units

My decision for a generator was a 4000 watt unit which can run a continuos 3100 watts output. I found one with electric start at Northern Tool and because it will be in my pickup bed, I will be able to reduce some noise by creating a sound proofed cover allowing full airflow yet decreasing noise probably 3 - 6 db.

This will allow one A/C when boondocking yet be reasonably economical overall. From my motorhome experience I know one can eat huge amounts of fuel if one insists on fully air conditioning a coach with generator power.

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 06-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If you are planning to fire up a contractor-grade generator in a National Park or National Forest campground, I hope you can do better than "reduce some noise" or you will be visited by a grumpy ranger or, worse, grumpy neighbors. Nothing like the bark of an iron Briggs and Stratton to rile the neighbors...

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
The noise is not much different than my old Honda 3000 watt which was very quiet. And the cost is about 1/3 the Honda. The same sound deadening applied to the Honda can be reproduced for just about any generator. I saw this demonstrated using flat panels with sound absorbing foam. Of course the space required is slightly more than the Honda, but this is not an issue in my 8' pickup bed.

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 06-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #22
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have a contractor Honda 2500w. I welded a coupling to the exhaust and with a stainless steel hose can run the exhaust to the outside while keeping the generator under the cap of my truck. So far the few times I have used it around neighbors it doesn't seem to bother anyone. I do walk around when running it to satisfy myself that it's OK. If it would bother me then it would bother someone else. It won't run my AC so I only use it for short periods to charge things up.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote