Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Generator and inverter???

Many of you use two generators to start and run your air conditioner. Mostly the use of two EU2000's with a parallel cable. I have wondered if one could not install a 2000watt inverter/charger in place of the converter/changer, wire it correctly to function as a whole house power supply. Then attach a 2000 watt generator to the umbilical shore power cable to supply the main operating source of current but have the inverter help supply the start-up current.

Would an inverter work this way or does it just internally switch and pass through shore power when it detects a source?

Ok, lets assume that the AC is 13500 btu and needs only 1950 watts for running the fan and compressor. The setup would probably drain some battery power over time but this would be just to get some air in a temporary way.
Thanks
Old 08-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Most, if not all inverter/chargers that large have a built-in transfer relay that cause the inverter to drop off immediately if AC power is sensed. I don't think it would work without a way to bypass that function. I'll have to think on that and look at some wiring diagrams. I sure understand only wanting to carry around one 2000 watt generator though.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The Honda parallel cable and generators are work as a system, designed for each other. You cannot make the Honda and an inverter frequency sinc with each other unless you are an electronics whiz kid, and even then you would void the guarantees on both pieces of equipment.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Most, if not all inverter/chargers that large have a built-in transfer relay that cause the inverter to drop off immediately if AC power is sensed. I don't think it would work without a way to bypass that function. I'll have to think on that and look at some wiring diagrams. I sure understand only wanting to carry around one 2000 watt generator though.
That is what I was afraid of. I seem to remember some inverter/chargers that have a power sharing mode but believe it only reduces the 12V side power output.