Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Raynham , Massachusetts
Gas or Propane Generator

I know there has been lots of threads discussing generators and I've read / studied many of them. I have decided on a single Honda EU2000i generator for my new International Serenity. For now I don't plan on using AC when boon docking. If it's hot I'll stay where there's power. By going with the 2000w Honda, I can always change that by adding a second if I change my mind.

My concern is whether to go with Propane version, a $500 premium. I don't like the idea of carrying gasoline (my TV is diesel). I already have two bottles of propane, and it seems like a good idea to use these rather than carry gasoline.

My main concern is the effect on the generator and it's warranty. Is it not true, than a conversion to propane will void Honda's warranty. I know one of the main sellers of converted units offers their own three year warranty. I also remember that in the early 70's I had a Ford truck converted to propane, and that the use of this fuel burned the valves. It basically destroyed the valves and I had to do major engine work and then converted it back to gasoline.

Do any of you have any experience with any kind of problems related to propane, including engine damage or warranty issues?
dont45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
dont45,

I have been running a eu2000i for three years with zero problems. This is a propane only unit that I have never run on gas. I used a Genconnex conversion. Did the work myself, took about an hour. Simple clean no worries about carrying gas.

If you are worried about a lack of lubricant in the propane, I have not seen any issues. I give a spray of wd-40 down the cylinder before I store it between trips. This is about the only thing other than changing the oil I have done.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Another vote for propane. Converted a Honda EU2000 myself in about an hour. Much simpler, safer, and cleaner that gasoline.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I,too have propane generators from Genconnectx . Same reason, don't want to carry a gas can around in my truck. They work great. . . regards, Craig
Old 01-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Propane kits

Have two Honda 2000 generators and converted both of them to Propane - kits from US Carburetion in West Va. Easy to convert and great customer service....work great, much clear than gas. Best of all - do not have to carry gas cans....Andy
Crabpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I too have a couple of generators converted to lp. No problems and I'm pleased with the performance. However, my conversion kits did say to run on gasoline for a period (I forget the never of hours, but it wasn't much) to ensure proper break in of the engine.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
US carb has tri-fuel conversions which run on gasoline, propane, or natural gas. I'm very happy with my Yamaha twins running on propane and also made a connection for natural gas at home in case of a prolonged power outage. The gas tanks are empty and I also notice they seem to start easier on propane.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have two Genconnex Honda 2000ui generators that we're converted to propane when I purchased them. I have had great performance from them and have flexibility to run them off my AS or off a 20lb tank. I also don't have to mess with another fuel source.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I installed the US Carb tri-fuel conversion on my Yamaha 2000. Current cost is $187. Outstanding, well engineered and easy to install product.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Isn't there a reduction in power output from the generator when running on propane versus gasoline?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
Can you use the regulated propane (BBQ) connection or do you have to use a separate propane tank?
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad118 View Post
Can you use the regulated propane (BBQ) connection or do you have to use a separate propane tank?
I have the US Carb conversion on my Honda eu2000. Works great and yes, it plugs right into the regulated BBQ connection on the AS.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I installed the US Carb tri-fuel conversion on my Yamaha 2000. Current cost is $187. Outstanding, well engineered and easy to install product.
About to do the conversion on my Yamaha, are you using the Propane port on your AS, the road side? Also, which conversion kit did you get?
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
About to do the conversion on my Yamaha, are you using the Propane port on your AS, the road side? Also, which conversion kit did you get?
Mine does not have a propane port. I carry a spare 20 pound bottle. It gets used for the generator, grill and small fire pit. The tri-fuel conversion kit is from US Carburetor. They have excellant phone customer service. If interested give them a call and they can hook you up.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Roadtech, yes there is about a 15% reduction running on propane.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamracer View Post
Roadtech, yes there is about a 15% reduction running on propane.
Curious, do you have a source for that info? I have not used my converted generator enough to really have an informed opinion.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
I don't see how the output of the generator can be effected by the fuel you run? The engine part of the generator is used to turn a generator unit. The output of the generator is bases on RPM not torque out put. as long as the engine can achieve the max rpm the output should be the same?

A gallon of propane does not contain as much "energy potential for the internal combustion engine" that just means a gallon and 1/2 is needed to do as much work (btu's) and a gallon of gasoline. The generator should still produce the save watt output, just might use more propane than gas over the long run.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
AWCHIEF, don't have info in front of me, but worked for Cummins/Onan for 23 years. They used the figure of 15% reduction in power because natural gas and propane does not burn as hot as gasoline. Examples of Onan:
gas 2800 watt microlite is a 2500 watt on propane
gas 4000 watt mircolite is a 3600 watt on propane.
They are the exact same models other than the carburetors.
You can probably find it on their website.
Gary
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Gary, thank you.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #20

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Joe,

Your line of reasoning sounds correct and I think the same way but in the literature for the factory dual fuel generator I own it specifically warns there is a reduction in wattage when using propane.
Maybe torque is a bigger factor than we think in wattage. RPMs affect the voltage and hertz more?
You got me curious.

Matti

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Airstream Forums mobile app
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote