Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #43
Rivet Slave
 
Rocinante's Avatar

 
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,432
Blog Entries: 49
We love our pre-converted Genconnex unit. Here's my unboxing video: https://youtu.be/BiOKFyLtHWQ
__________________

__________________
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")


Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:59 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 43
Images: 1
Thanks for the replies. And yes, of course I meant "hose" and not cable". I was interrupted about a dozen times before I could finish that post while also researching battery options.

I don't know that I'm completely sold on a propane only generator, but I'm still struggling to figure out where to store gasoline. It may be the best option after all, if not the most expensive. We wanted something that could also serve as a backup at home in case of emergency, and I liked the idea of having as many power/fuel options as possible. If only those Champions were half the weight, I would not hesitate getting one. I've just noticed the Honda is no lightweight either though. I guess it's unreasonable to expect anything around 2000W+ to weigh under 50lbs. Are there really no other truly portable propane generator options? Seems like a relatively untapped market. I'm also surprised to not see more remote start options. I can only imagine how nice that would be.
__________________

__________________
polyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #45
Rivet Master
 
SeaLevel's Avatar
 
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyester View Post
Are there really no other truly portable propane generator options?
I haven't been able to find one, but it does seem like there would be a market for them. Since we tow with a truck that can handle the extra 100lbs, and because we live in a part of the country that's prone to hurricanes and power outages, we opted for a dual purpose and dual fuel Champion that we can bring with us on trips where we might use it, and otherwise leave at home for emergency use. It's easy for both of us to lift it in and out of the truck bed, and it fits under the tonneau cover. We've only run it on propane, and don't ever plan to use gas.
__________________
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #46
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyester View Post
Thanks for the replies. And yes, of course I meant "hose" and not cable". I was interrupted about a dozen times before I could finish that post while also researching battery options.

I don't know that I'm completely sold on a propane only generator, but I'm still struggling to figure out where to store gasoline. It may be the best option after all, if not the most expensive. We wanted something that could also serve as a backup at home in case of emergency, and I liked the idea of having as many power/fuel options as possible. If only those Champions were half the weight, I would not hesitate getting one. I've just noticed the Honda is no lightweight either though. I guess it's unreasonable to expect anything around 2000W+ to weigh under 50lbs. Are there really no other truly portable propane generator options? Seems like a relatively untapped market. I'm also surprised to not see more remote start options. I can only imagine how nice that would be.


Hi - what do you plan to use your generator for? If you just want some charging assistance, a solar setup might serve you well. If you boondock in hot places, a pair of 2000W generators at about 50#/ea is a godsend and being able to run them off your propane tanks without also needing to carry gasoline is a big plus. Added advantage - you can run your generators at home of a 20# BBQ bottle if your power goes out.

However - if the majority of your camping is with shore power sites - no need to fuss with generators....
__________________
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member
 
2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 323
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
I haven't been able to find one, but it does seem like there would be a market for them. Since we tow with a truck that can handle the extra 100lbs, and because we live in a part of the country that's prone to hurricanes and power outages, we opted for a dual purpose and dual fuel Champion that we can bring with us on trips where we might use it, and otherwise leave at home for emergency use. It's easy for both of us to lift it in and out of the truck bed, and it fits under the tonneau cover. We've only run it on propane, and don't ever plan to use gas.
Same here.
__________________
Roadtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #48
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Curious, do you have a source for that info? I have not used my converted generator enough to really have an informed opinion.
I've read it's actually 18%, but I won't quibble.
There is a reduction in available power. Propane just doesn't have the energy of gas. (Ethanol free is even better)

So if you plan on running your AC off the Honda 2K on propane, you may be disappointed (Right now 50 people who should be on the Micro-start payroll are leaping to their keyboards!)

After much consideration, I went with the Honda 3K, but second choice would have been the Champion 3500 dual fuel. Carrying gas is always worrisome, even with a JustRite can. Smell, splashes, leaks go away if you carry a third propane tank in the bed. However, everything is a compromise, I chose gas. If down the road I want to switch, I'll be able to sell the Honda instantly for what I paid.
__________________
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #49
Rivet Slave
 
Rocinante's Avatar

 
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,432
Blog Entries: 49
Gas or Propane Generator

Haha, be as cynical as you want, but so far our Micro-air-equipped AC and our propane-fired Honda EU 2000i get along beautifully. Not a statistically significant sample, but empirically we are quite happy with our experimental results. Your money, your decision, whatever you choose is fine with us. Get out there and camp.
__________________
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")


Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #50
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,091
If both are propane, what's the difference?

So now that I have a new 28', I am looking at dumping my limited duty Champion 2000 for a propane unit. The 2000 worked great but not enough power to run microwave on our first trip last week in Glacier. Disappointing for sure...but it does start with one pull, like they said! :-)
I am thinking the Honda 2000i GenconneX package but that sucker is $1600. If I get it to run a single A/C unit, I still need to get the MicroAir EasyStart for another $250= $1850 total.

If I go with the 100lb Champion Dual Fuel, I get the electronic start, propane, 3100 operating watts, and it will run the AC without the MicroAir unit. Cost is $1053 from Amazon. Seems the Dual Fuel model is the way to go?

Tell me what I am missing Champion Dual Fuel vs the GenconneX 2000i unit? If I get the Dual Fuel, will it run off my low pressure port?
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 43
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
So now that I have a new 28', I am looking at dumping my limited duty Champion 2000 for a propane unit. The 2000 worked great but not enough power to run microwave on our first trip last week in Glacier. Disappointing for sure...but it does start with one pull, like they said! :-)
I am thinking the Honda 2000i GenconneX package but that sucker is $1600. If I get it to run a single A/C unit, I still need to get the MicroAir EasyStart for another $250= $1850 total.

If I go with the 100lb Champion Dual Fuel, I get the electronic start, propane, 3100 operating watts, and it will run the AC without the MicroAir unit. Cost is $1053 from Amazon. Seems the Dual Fuel model is the way to go?

Tell me what I am missing Champion Dual Fuel vs the GenconneX 2000i unit? If I get the Dual Fuel, will it run off my low pressure port?
Yeah, that's kind of where I am as well. The Honda adds up to be soooo expensive! If I do end up getting a generator, it will probably be the Champion dual fuel for me, but I can't get over the weight of the beast. I often camp alone or with my little kids (husband's not into it). I'm pretty strong, but moving 100+lbs sounds terrible. Adding that much weight to our load is considerable and I can just see myself throwing my back out in the middle of nowhere trying to move it and ruining the whole trip. I also wish they had remote start like they do for some of their other generators. I do like the idea of also being able to use it at home though, as we always have propane handy..

I'm trying to optimize my battery and solar setup as far as possible and hoping I can live without A/C or microwave. If all else fails, then I'll go back to considering a generator. Maybe in short time they'll have another more portable option...with remote start! If they could at least get the 2800W under 60lbs, I'd buy two!
__________________
polyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #52
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,091
I hear ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyester View Post
Yeah, that's kind of where I am as well. The Honda adds up to be soooo expensive! If I do end up getting a generator, it will probably be the Champion dual fuel for me, but I can't get over the weight of the beast. I often camp alone or with my little kids (husband's not into it). I'm pretty strong, but moving 100+lbs sounds terrible. Adding that much weight to our load is considerable and I can just see myself throwing my back out in the middle of nowhere trying to move it and ruining the whole trip. I also wish they had remote start like they do for some of their other generators. I do like the idea of also being able to use it at home though, as we always have propane handy..

I'm trying to optimize my battery and solar setup as far as possible and hoping I can live without A/C or microwave. If all else fails, then I'll go back to considering a generator. Maybe in short time they'll have another more portable option...with remote start! If they could at least get the 2800W under 60lbs, I'd buy two!
We also try to use solar when no trees...but can't always get that in some of the parks. That's why we got the Champion last year. I had another model generator, but it was way loud. The Hondas and Yamahas are nice but twice the price. Now that I need more power I could get another Champion 2000 and use their connect device...they only weigh around 45 lbs each and that would solve the power issues with combined power of 3400w when running together. Still cheaper than 1 Honda or Yamaha 2000. I see several folks use this option. My issue is I don't like carrying gas in the back, so that's why I am thinking propane. One thing to note; the Champion, Honda, and Yamaha manual start are not an issue. Typically one easy pull and their off and running, so although electric start is nice, it's not an issue to me.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #53
Traveler
 
TravlinMan's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 939
You're gonna see generators get less and less popular I think.

Some folks just don't believe what ya can do without one. I'm not against em but I think people use em when they're totally unnecessary without knowin it.

About a month or two ago I camped in a forest in Nevada next to a camper that ran two generators all day from about 8am to 9pm. The guy was always goin and gettin fuel and refilling his two generators and dealing with gas cans and such. His camp was loud and smelled like gas and looked like a construction site.

Nobody else in the campground needed that stuff and we all had power. Wasn't even a/c weather. And ya could tell he just didn't understand how we were doin it. He kept lookin at me and my panel like I was crazy. But I had lights, hot food, internet, cell phone, music, fans and full batteries all week just like he did.

He was just improperly convinced he needed 30amps all day long.
__________________
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

 
2017 28' International
Raynham , Massachusetts
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 26
Images: 1
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8128.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	289269I just saw this camper in NY with generator mounted on trailer tongue. Looks like a nice setup, probably with custom bracket. I have twin Honda EU2000i's from GenConneX and haul them in the very back of my TV, F350. Don't forget the 30A adapter, the typical 30A cable doesn't plug into generator, and the cross-connect cable if you're running two in tandem. I have been running them direct to extra propane tank but want to try running them off of LP port on my '17 International. The port label says 25,000 BTU max. Will this run the two Honda's? I have been told both yes and no. Time to find out...
__________________
dont45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #55
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
You're gonna see generators get less and less popular I think.

Some folks just don't believe what ya can do without one. I'm not against em but I think people use em when they're totally unnecessary without knowin it.

About a month or two ago I camped in a forest in Nevada next to a camper that ran two generators all day from about 8am to 9pm. The guy was always goin and gettin fuel and refilling his two generators and dealing with gas cans and such. His camp was loud and smelled like gas and looked like a construction site.

Nobody else in the campground needed that stuff and we all had power. Wasn't even a/c weather. And ya could tell he just didn't understand how we were doin it. He kept lookin at me and my panel like I was crazy. But I had lights, hot food, internet, cell phone, music, fans and full batteries all week just like he did.

He was just improperly convinced he needed 30amps all day long.
Well, I just spent a few days with a friend who has a 30' Itasca Class A, and he also ran the generator most of the day...said he could not get the fridge cold enough above 4k feet elevation on propane...2006 model, I believe. He is having the refer checked as we speak somewhere in OR, while watching for the eclipse! It was annoying to have that run all day. Most parks have 2 hour increments in morning, mid day, and afternoon for generators...not so bad when using newer quieter inverter types; but your right, some folks use those dammed industrial models, and they are loud and annoying...
We just received our Dual Fuel Champion model...I plan to try it out today with the LP port on the AS and see what happens! Any advise from experienced owners of this model with their LP port on the AS is appreciated...hopping I can just plug in and go!
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #56
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,401
Images: 5
I find that with 260 watts of solar (100 on roof and 160 portable) When I am on the open, gennies rarely come out. When in shade with minimal solar input, running one 2000 watt gennie for 1.5 hours through the iota 55 amp converter every other day is plenty. I have 2 group 29 interstates. This is of course with no a/c but running FFs for a few hours during evening.
__________________

__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Propane Cooktop Stove, Propane Oven from 1971 Sovereign colleenkay Airstream Classifieds 0 09-14-2016 04:06 PM
Propane Gas Detector Went off Last Week-Turns Out NOT the Propane breezyway Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 4 08-16-2014 09:56 AM
Newbie Advice on Propane and Propane Accessories Socal1 LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 1 07-15-2013 01:36 PM
Options for Converting Generator to Propane bhayden Generators & Solar Power 3 11-28-2006 01:40 PM
Propane Generator Help Please Snadi LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 11 09-25-2005 06:03 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.