Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
I have a champion 3100 that hasn't yet been converted and I can say it
Is very quiet and easy to start.
I would have no problem buying their dual fuel and now wished that I had
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:52 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyester View Post
I'm considering buying the already converted generator from Genconnex, once I can get over the sticker shock. It doesn't seem much cheaper to do it myself since I have not yet bought a generator. Do they provide a cable to connect between the unit and the BBQ connector? Are you able to run it on propane even if it's full of gas?

An alternative seems to be a Champion dual fuel generator; but that thing weighs a ton and I'm not sure how it compares otherwise. They seem to be highly rated, but the weight of it is enough to turn me away. My SUV can barely haul my little trailer uphill as it is without another 100 lbs of weight. For anyone where weight is no concern though, that could be a much more affordable option.

Also, I've never used any generator; where do you put them? I'm not sure if it would fit on the tongue, and anyway how do you secure it? If it's not holding any gas, would it be ok to keep inside the car or trailer? If it's been filled with gas and empty would it give off fumes? What if I decide to bring along a can of gas for backup; not sure where to put that either.

Sorry to tack on such a newbie question.

thanks,
Holly
Having just gone through the process I would probably just buy one from Genconnex already converted. I enjoyed the process of doing it myself, but it did take a while and I had a problem with one of the bolts that wouldn't come loose. Completely stripped it and had to pay someone to take it out for me.

With the Genconnex system, once you convert it, it only runs on propane. As part of the process, you completely remove the gasoline tank. I think folks here have talked about converting it back, but it's not a simultaneous system as with some of the other conversions.

I chose to go with the propane conversion because I didn't want to store gasoline and didn't want it stored inside my generator.

Also, as I don't have a quick-connect on my AS, I asked them to send me a 12' hose so that I could connect the generator to one of my tanks to run it.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #43
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We love our pre-converted Genconnex unit. Here's my unboxing video: https://youtu.be/BiOKFyLtHWQ

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for the replies. And yes, of course I meant "hose" and not cable". I was interrupted about a dozen times before I could finish that post while also researching battery options.

I don't know that I'm completely sold on a propane only generator, but I'm still struggling to figure out where to store gasoline. It may be the best option after all, if not the most expensive. We wanted something that could also serve as a backup at home in case of emergency, and I liked the idea of having as many power/fuel options as possible. If only those Champions were half the weight, I would not hesitate getting one. I've just noticed the Honda is no lightweight either though. I guess it's unreasonable to expect anything around 2000W+ to weigh under 50lbs. Are there really no other truly portable propane generator options? Seems like a relatively untapped market. I'm also surprised to not see more remote start options. I can only imagine how nice that would be.
polyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:44 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Are there really no other truly portable propane generator options?
I haven't been able to find one, but it does seem like there would be a market for them. Since we tow with a truck that can handle the extra 100lbs, and because we live in a part of the country that's prone to hurricanes and power outages, we opted for a dual purpose and dual fuel Champion that we can bring with us on trips where we might use it, and otherwise leave at home for emergency use. It's easy for both of us to lift it in and out of the truck bed, and it fits under the tonneau cover. We've only run it on propane, and don't ever plan to use gas.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:16 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. And yes, of course I meant "hose" and not cable". I was interrupted about a dozen times before I could finish that post while also researching battery options.

I don't know that I'm completely sold on a propane only generator, but I'm still struggling to figure out where to store gasoline. It may be the best option after all, if not the most expensive. We wanted something that could also serve as a backup at home in case of emergency, and I liked the idea of having as many power/fuel options as possible. If only those Champions were half the weight, I would not hesitate getting one. I've just noticed the Honda is no lightweight either though. I guess it's unreasonable to expect anything around 2000W+ to weigh under 50lbs. Are there really no other truly portable propane generator options? Seems like a relatively untapped market. I'm also surprised to not see more remote start options. I can only imagine how nice that would be.

Hi - what do you plan to use your generator for? If you just want some charging assistance, a solar setup might serve you well. If you boondock in hot places, a pair of 2000W generators at about 50#/ea is a godsend and being able to run them off your propane tanks without also needing to carry gasoline is a big plus. Added advantage - you can run your generators at home of a 20# BBQ bottle if your power goes out.

However - if the majority of your camping is with shore power sites - no need to fuss with generators....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:31 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
I haven't been able to find one, but it does seem like there would be a market for them. Since we tow with a truck that can handle the extra 100lbs, and because we live in a part of the country that's prone to hurricanes and power outages, we opted for a dual purpose and dual fuel Champion that we can bring with us on trips where we might use it, and otherwise leave at home for emergency use. It's easy for both of us to lift it in and out of the truck bed, and it fits under the tonneau cover. We've only run it on propane, and don't ever plan to use gas.
Same here.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Curious, do you have a source for that info? I have not used my converted generator enough to really have an informed opinion.
I've read it's actually 18%, but I won't quibble.
There is a reduction in available power. Propane just doesn't have the energy of gas. (Ethanol free is even better)

So if you plan on running your AC off the Honda 2K on propane, you may be disappointed (Right now 50 people who should be on the Micro-start payroll are leaping to their keyboards!)

After much consideration, I went with the Honda 3K, but second choice would have been the Champion 3500 dual fuel. Carrying gas is always worrisome, even with a JustRite can. Smell, splashes, leaks go away if you carry a third propane tank in the bed. However, everything is a compromise, I chose gas. If down the road I want to switch, I'll be able to sell the Honda instantly for what I paid.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #49
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Gas or Propane Generator

Haha, be as cynical as you want, but so far our Micro-air-equipped AC and our propane-fired Honda EU 2000i get along beautifully. Not a statistically significant sample, but empirically we are quite happy with our experimental results. Your money, your decision, whatever you choose is fine with us. Get out there and camp. [emoji122] [emoji904]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
If both are propane, what's the difference?

So now that I have a new 28', I am looking at dumping my limited duty Champion 2000 for a propane unit. The 2000 worked great but not enough power to run microwave on our first trip last week in Glacier. Disappointing for sure...but it does start with one pull, like they said! :-)
I am thinking the Honda 2000i GenconneX package but that sucker is $1600. If I get it to run a single A/C unit, I still need to get the MicroAir EasyStart for another $250= $1850 total.

If I go with the 100lb Champion Dual Fuel, I get the electronic start, propane, 3100 operating watts, and it will run the AC without the MicroAir unit. Cost is $1053 from Amazon. Seems the Dual Fuel model is the way to go?

Tell me what I am missing Champion Dual Fuel vs the GenconneX 2000i unit? If I get the Dual Fuel, will it run off my low pressure port?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
So now that I have a new 28', I am looking at dumping my limited duty Champion 2000 for a propane unit. The 2000 worked great but not enough power to run microwave on our first trip last week in Glacier. Disappointing for sure...but it does start with one pull, like they said! :-)
I am thinking the Honda 2000i GenconneX package but that sucker is $1600. If I get it to run a single A/C unit, I still need to get the MicroAir EasyStart for another $250= $1850 total.

If I go with the 100lb Champion Dual Fuel, I get the electronic start, propane, 3100 operating watts, and it will run the AC without the MicroAir unit. Cost is $1053 from Amazon. Seems the Dual Fuel model is the way to go?

Tell me what I am missing Champion Dual Fuel vs the GenconneX 2000i unit? If I get the Dual Fuel, will it run off my low pressure port?
Yeah, that's kind of where I am as well. The Honda adds up to be soooo expensive! If I do end up getting a generator, it will probably be the Champion dual fuel for me, but I can't get over the weight of the beast. I often camp alone or with my little kids (husband's not into it). I'm pretty strong, but moving 100+lbs sounds terrible. Adding that much weight to our load is considerable and I can just see myself throwing my back out in the middle of nowhere trying to move it and ruining the whole trip. I also wish they had remote start like they do for some of their other generators. I do like the idea of also being able to use it at home though, as we always have propane handy..

I'm trying to optimize my battery and solar setup as far as possible and hoping I can live without A/C or microwave. If all else fails, then I'll go back to considering a generator. Maybe in short time they'll have another more portable option...with remote start! If they could at least get the 2800W under 60lbs, I'd buy two!
polyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
I hear ya...

Quote:
Yeah, that's kind of where I am as well. The Honda adds up to be soooo expensive! If I do end up getting a generator, it will probably be the Champion dual fuel for me, but I can't get over the weight of the beast. I often camp alone or with my little kids (husband's not into it). I'm pretty strong, but moving 100+lbs sounds terrible. Adding that much weight to our load is considerable and I can just see myself throwing my back out in the middle of nowhere trying to move it and ruining the whole trip. I also wish they had remote start like they do for some of their other generators. I do like the idea of also being able to use it at home though, as we always have propane handy..

I'm trying to optimize my battery and solar setup as far as possible and hoping I can live without A/C or microwave. If all else fails, then I'll go back to considering a generator. Maybe in short time they'll have another more portable option...with remote start! If they could at least get the 2800W under 60lbs, I'd buy two!
We also try to use solar when no trees...but can't always get that in some of the parks. That's why we got the Champion last year. I had another model generator, but it was way loud. The Hondas and Yamahas are nice but twice the price. Now that I need more power I could get another Champion 2000 and use their connect device...they only weigh around 45 lbs each and that would solve the power issues with combined power of 3400w when running together. Still cheaper than 1 Honda or Yamaha 2000. I see several folks use this option. My issue is I don't like carrying gas in the back, so that's why I am thinking propane. One thing to note; the Champion, Honda, and Yamaha manual start are not an issue. Typically one easy pull and their off and running, so although electric start is nice, it's not an issue to me.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #53
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
You're gonna see generators get less and less popular I think.

Some folks just don't believe what ya can do without one. I'm not against em but I think people use em when they're totally unnecessary without knowin it.

About a month or two ago I camped in a forest in Nevada next to a camper that ran two generators all day from about 8am to 9pm. The guy was always goin and gettin fuel and refilling his two generators and dealing with gas cans and such. His camp was loud and smelled like gas and looked like a construction site.

Nobody else in the campground needed that stuff and we all had power. Wasn't even a/c weather. And ya could tell he just didn't understand how we were doin it. He kept lookin at me and my panel like I was crazy. But I had lights, hot food, internet, cell phone, music, fans and full batteries all week just like he did.

He was just improperly convinced he needed 30amps all day long.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Raynham , Massachusetts
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8128.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	289269I just saw this camper in NY with generator mounted on trailer tongue. Looks like a nice setup, probably with custom bracket. I have twin Honda EU2000i's from GenConneX and haul them in the very back of my TV, F350. Don't forget the 30A adapter, the typical 30A cable doesn't plug into generator, and the cross-connect cable if you're running two in tandem. I have been running them direct to extra propane tank but want to try running them off of LP port on my '17 International. The port label says 25,000 BTU max. Will this run the two Honda's? I have been told both yes and no. Time to find out...
dont45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post

Some folks just don't believe what ya can do without one. I'm not against em but I think people use em when they're totally unnecessary without knowin it.

About a month or two ago I camped in a forest in Nevada next to a camper that ran two generators all day from about 8am to 9pm. The guy was always goin and gettin fuel and refilling his two generators and dealing with gas cans and such. His camp was loud and smelled like gas and looked like a construction site.

Nobody else in the campground needed that stuff and we all had power. Wasn't even a/c weather. And ya could tell he just didn't understand how we were doin it. He kept lookin at me and my panel like I was crazy. But I had lights, hot food, internet, cell phone, music, fans and full batteries all week just like he did.

Well, I just spent a few days with a friend who has a 30' Itasca Class A, and he also ran the generator most of the day...said he could not get the fridge cold enough above 4k feet elevation on propane...2006 model, I believe. He is having the refer checked as we speak somewhere in OR, while watching for the eclipse! It was annoying to have that run all day. Most parks have 2 hour increments in morning, mid day, and afternoon for generators...not so bad when using newer quieter inverter types; but your right, some folks use those dammed industrial models, and they are loud and annoying...
We just received our Dual Fuel Champion model...I plan to try it out today with the LP port on the AS and see what happens! Any advise from experienced owners of this model with their LP port on the AS is appreciated...hopping I can just plug in and go!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I find that with 260 watts of solar (100 on roof and 160 portable) When I am on the open, gennies rarely come out. When in shade with minimal solar input, running one 2000 watt gennie for 1.5 hours through the iota 55 amp converter every other day is plenty. I have 2 group 29 interstates. This is of course with no a/c but running FFs for a few hours during evening.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I find that with 260 watts of solar (100 on roof and 160 portable) When I am on the open, gennies rarely come out. When in shade with minimal solar input, running one 2000 watt gennie for 1.5 hours through the iota 55 amp converter every other day is plenty. I have 2 group 29 interstates. This is of course with no a/c but running FFs for a few hours during evening.
Agree; our Champion 2000 works fine for charging when in tree shade with minimal use every couple-three days or so. I can get by without the convection/microwave use for sure. But, AC needed when we are back in TX next month while boon docking; thus the switch to the Champion Dual fuel. Nice little unit, albeit a little heavy to move around. Wheels and handle make it much easier than I expected. I will keep in back of my TV most of the time going forward, but nice to know I can still move it around if needed.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dont45 View Post
Attachment 289269I just saw this camper in NY with generator mounted on trailer tongue. Looks like a nice setup, probably with custom bracket.
There's a commercially made bracket. It can be used for bicycles, storage boxes, or generators. I'd be concerned about mounting 200 pounds above hitch due to metal fatigue. There's gotta be a bunch of vibration leading to cracking. Also, the Honda is exposed to the elements, including water thrown back from the TV tires.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Trail...F8227F5463A11B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
If I need 30 amps all day, I'll check into a campground with power.
I don't see myself adding solar panels to the roof, although the folding unit outside your rig is appealing. (When it's not blazing hot)
Right now, my generator is not going away. I've never run it all day, usually in the morning and evening. The rest of the time I'm out and about.
However, those of you solar fans won't be stopping at WalMart for shopping and lunch, and deploying the solar array to run the air conditioner while you eat and relax.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #59
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Watt's the output?

So..... the watts are less on Propane.

Only if the reduced power output of the,(lpg) 'engine' powering the alternator is enough to overload.....our 2000i dual fuel conversion has been good up to 1500w on both lpg and petrol.

I don't know if the alternator really cares much watts spinning it.

Bob
Old 08-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Watt?

Wattchit there . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote