Old 03-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #57
1 Rivet Member

New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Power surge!

Do you use a surge protector placed between your 120VAC 30 amp power plug and the power post? If not.....you should!!! A healthy spike probably did in your breaker..........
Great point! I've never used a surge protector but I will now!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
NOW for the knicastro's new/similar issue in post #43 ....

i think we need more info...

-is the breaker frozen in the mid position, or will in not reset to the ON position ? I can force the lever up or down but it stays in the mid position (won't catch)

-IF the trailer is UNPLUGGED will the breaker reset? No

while a surge could do this as lewster suggests..

-doesn't a LOW VOLTAGE situation also have the potential to over heat a breaker?

-did you check the shore voltage at the campsite? No

the only thing wired into my big breaker IS the A/C...

-so knisastro...have you looked at the wiring scheme to determine WHAT is on that circuit? No, but I will

what other details are missing here guys?

cheers
2air'
Thank you for your help! Answers are above.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and/or Sue
I have seen breakers go bad, but have never seen one stuck.

I suspect that there's a good possibility that the breaker tripped due to an overload. If it's a 30 amp breaker, then in theory, 3,600 watts total power draw will trip it (Watts=Amps * Volts; 30 amps times 120 volts). Add up your loads and see how close you are. Hopefully, a simple timing issue can explain what happened (my main breaker tripped when I had a bunch of lights on with the A/C and coffee maker running then tried to make waffles at the same time).

Usually when the breaker does it's job and trips, depending on the brand, it either turns "Off" (open), or goes into a "tripped" position that is neither "On" nor "Off".

To reset some tripped breakers that are in "limbo", they must be forced "Off", then can be turned "On". When pushed toward "On" from their tripped position, they are like wet noodles.

By the way, I do not recommend resetting breakers willy-nilly, and strongly suggest shutting off the loads before trying to reset. Then work through turning whatever you need back on one at a time.

Good luck, and please let us know what is discovered!
Thank you for sharing your wisdom! I'm definitely leaning toward getting a good surge protector.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #60
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I have tripped my 30A breaker a couple of times. If I turn on the AC and the Water heater electric element at the same time that is enough. The main breaker has never stuck in the middle. Did you turn it off and then try back on?
Hi Michelle - yes, I've tried a few times, even after I got her home and stored. Weird....
Old 03-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I have tripped my 30A breaker a couple of times. If I turn on the AC and the Water heater electric element at the same time that is enough. The main breaker has never stuck in the middle. Did you turn it off and then try back on?
Howdy. When I tripped my 30amp breaker, I shut off the other breakers, then reset the 30, then turned on the other breakers one at a time. Of course, I guessed/realized what had happened, so we poured our coffee, turned off the coffee maker, and then I made breakfast.

Some makes of breakers do not trip to a center/"Tripped" position but rather merely turn "Off". I don't like those as well, since it is not a positive indication of an overcurrent condition (the engineering side of my personality comes out). Plus, if other breakers are already "Off" in the breaker box, it may be difficult to realize exactly what happened.

(Phil)
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #62
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and/or Sue
Howdy. When I tripped my 30amp breaker, I shut off the other breakers, then reset the 30, then turned on the other breakers one at a time. Of course, I guessed/realized what had happened, so we poured our coffee, turned off the coffee maker, and then I made breakfast.

Some makes of breakers do not trip to a center/"Tripped" position but rather merely turn "Off". I don't like those as well, since it is not a positive indication of an overcurrent condition (the engineering side of my personality comes out). Plus, if other breakers are already "Off" in the breaker box, it may be difficult to realize exactly what happened.

(Phil)
Phil - you and everyone here saved me a trip to the dealer. I gave it one more shot, but this time made sure I turned off all the others breakers.
I then held the blown breaker lever in the Off pisition for a second and VOILA! was able to reset it to On.

Everything works perfectly now. Will still invest in a surge protector.

Thank you all for your tremendous help!