Old 05-30-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Fuse panel for 1-battery system

I'm trying to understand the fuse panel for my single-battery system. The manual for my '79 Sovereign has diagrams of 2-battery systems only.
For sake of clarity, I will number the fuses starting with #1 on the right, #2 to the left of it, etc.
Attached is a pic of my fuse panel. Fuse holders 1,2 & 3 are 50-amp (fuses not shown), but the positive battery cable is attached to #4, which takes 20-amp fuses (the largest I could find was 35). I was told the battery needs 50-amp fuses. Why can't I move the positive battery cable from #4 to #3 so that it uses a 50-amp fuse? (I tried this & it didn't work.)

And why is a fuse necessary for #1? There is no cable connecting to the upper clip, and the upper clip doesn't test out as grounded.

Clip #5 has a broken ear. Where can I get a replacement for it?

Thanks!
Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of Panel-1.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	6930  

Old 06-08-2004, 07:59 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Patrick-this is totally beyond me, but I'll try to wrastle my son or husband to the computer to look at it, and hopefully make suggestions. Sorry for the late reply- we were away on family stuff. silver suz By the way want a stove or fridge or copper piping or front bed or... or.. STUFF. We stripped our trailer. Silver suz
P.S. this question should be put on the general forum asking questions -It's general enough and those guys know their stuff.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Patrick,

The wiring on my '67 Overlander is waaay simpler than yours. In fact, the only fuses I have are the battery fuses, and in my case they are 40 amp fuses, Circuit breakers protect everything else. While not germane to your present issue, what is protected by five-fuse block on the left? Would it be possible to post a picture of 2-battery system schematic? I am really interested.

Now, in regards to your specific questions, I would venture to say you are dealing with a previous owner's past repair job. Your center fuse block does not appear to be original equipment, and the crimp-on connectors look new. So, you will need to do whatever is necessary.

Did you ever have a wire hooked to the top of fuse #3? The circuit breakers in your present configuration have no way of being powered without one. Also, the wire from #3 to the breakers is too small. Fuse #1 may be needed for the two-battery option.

More than likely, you will have to replace the whole fuse block to deal with the broken ear. Radio Shack should be able to sell you a new one. Another post indicated that car stereo stores sell big fuses.

If you could post the wiring diagram you do have, and a description of what is not working, I think we can get you on the road again.

Tom
Old 06-08-2004, 09:05 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
That looks alot like the fuse panel I had in our 77 sovereign. I am working from memory.

The three sections are: Left side is trailer lights from the Tow vehicle Center: is the interior 12 VDC lights, fans, etc. Right: the feed from the batteries and the univolt.

Airstream is the only manufacturer that I know of that fuses the ground side as well as the 12 VDC feed. It looks to me like someone modified the wire locations.

The 12 VDC feed should have a 50 AMP fuse in it. This is normally jumper-ed over to the main buss on the bottom of the 12 VDC Center panel. I would move the main feed from the 12 VDC to the empty 50 AMP holder.

This will require some additional wiring work and you need to test everything with a meter or trouble light BEFORE you move stuff and hook up wires. Reversing polarity will KILL 12 Volt stuff.

The system should have a 50 AMP ground fuse, A 50 AMP 12 VDC fuse, and a Jumper to feed to the main 12VDC buss for the trailer. Doing this would free up the right hand socket so you can use it and abandon the broken one.

If it all works now, except for the one circuit, you could just get a blade fuse pigtail and wire it in in place of the broken holder. That is what I ended up doing when one of mine broke.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Paddy 79

You also install an "in line" fuse holder, which will allow you to bypass the defective terminal.

Andy
Old 06-09-2004, 07:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
While we're on the topic of fuses, I am having a slight difficulty finding "AGS 40 amp" fuses, like the owner's manual says for our '66. I find plenty of 40 amp fuses, but none of the say exactly "AGS." Is this designation obsolete, or am I looking in the wrong places, i.e. hardware store, car electronics store.

John
Old 06-09-2004, 10:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
John.

That fuse is common to the RV industry.

We have that fuse in stock.

Andy
Old 06-09-2004, 10:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
More than you probably wanted to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
While we're on the topic of fuses, I am having a slight difficulty finding "AGS 40 amp" fuses, like the owner's manual says for our '66. I find plenty of 40 amp fuses, but none of the say exactly "AGS." Is this designation obsolete, or am I looking in the wrong places, i.e. hardware store, car electronics store.
I wondered about this topic enough to do a little research. This site provided the following primer, Standard fuse sizes range from ¼” diameter, 5/8” length (1AG) to ¼” diameter 1” length (8AG), to 5mm x 20 mm, pico fuses and automotive blade. "Automobile Glass" fuses use the term "AG" in the fuse size designation. Bakelite fiber, ceramic or other similar material fuses use the term "AB" instead of "AG" in the size designation, but retain the dimensions of the "AG" types. Automotive blade fuse sizes differ from glass tube sizes due to the shape of the fuse. Important performance specifications to consider when searching for fuse holders include normal operating current, rated operating voltage, and power dissipation capacity. The maximum power dissipation (self-heating) of the fuse used with the fuse holder. Also called the Rated Power Acceptance. The minimum conducting path or conductor cross-sectional area of the conductor connected to the fuse holder should also be considered.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a source which explains the exact difference between an AGS and an AGC fuse. But, from what Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, and Just Plain Polly contributed to the VAC List, it appears to be simply the diameter of the fuse – A fuse with more current carrying capability would need more surface area in the fuse holder to pass the current:

Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer" wrote:
I just hunted up a Bussmann fuse catalog (2" binder) on my shelf that I'd forgotten I had. They say you don't want any AGC bigger than 30 amps the fuse holders can't carry the current. Since they are about the biggest maker of such fuses and fuse holders (and one I trust), that says they don't make a 40 amp in AGC size. That's why the AGS were stuffed in, maybe.

“Just Plain Polly, 1964 Globe Trotter, Colorado, WBCCI 7113” wrote:

Just in case this may help someone else - The AGS 40 fuse is not the proper one for the 12 volt circuit for the 64 GT - it should be an AGC 40 which is slightly smaller in diameter and fits properly in the clips. I have not found these yet, but at the suggestion of the electric "fix it" man that I use, I put in AGC 30s which work so far, until I can find the 40s. They fit MUCH better, do not have to be forced in place and now I have 12 volt lights and the fans also work on battery …

Finally, Try this link, and this link for fuse supplies.

Tom
Old 06-09-2004, 03:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Fuse Panel

Andy:

Is it possible to replace the fuse panel with a circuit breaker panel?

The fuse panel in my Airstream is getting pretty rusty and is going to fail sometime.

I was thinking of aircraft type C/Bs
Old 06-09-2004, 03:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Gordon.

Using 12 volt circuit breakers instead of fuses is OK.

I would suggest that you use "self resetting breakers."

Do not however, increase the ratings of the breakers any higher than the fuse it replaces.

New fuse panels are available that now use GM bladed fuses instead of the cylinder type fuse.

Andy
Old 06-09-2004, 05:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Andy. I'll check out your suggestions.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:20 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Wink Thanks for responses

Thanks, everyone, for responding to my questions. I finally got my 12-volt system hooked up (single-battery). I've got some empty fuse blocks, but, hey, it all works now. I somehow managed to blow the Intelipower unit while I was working on the system, but they sent me a rebuilt one, with return of old unit, for $75. Thought that was a deal!
I'm very new at this, and it was great to know I wasn't alone.
I also learned (duh!) to unhook the battery or at least pull some fuses before working on the system.
All the best,
Patrick
Old 06-22-2004, 05:58 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Lost 12 volt

Lost 12 volt today and found resistance on one side of the 50 amp fuse holder, ground side. By passed the fuse holder and 12 volt came back.
Strange the ground side is fused as noted in an earlier thread.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Stagehand.

The 50 amp "ground" fuse was installed to protect the system in the event someone installed a battery backwards.

It's a good safety feature.

Andy