Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Z33

2005 22' International CCD
Winchester , Virginia
Unhappy Fuse #1 keeps blowing

Hello all,

I have a 2005 CCD 22' that I got brand new about a year ago. My first Airstream, but my 3rd RV trailer. I should have purchased the Airstream in the first place... I didn't know what I was missing

On my last trip, my CD player, light in the shower and other things stopped working. I've found out that it's a blown fuse. I think I have a short somewhere in the system, because the fuse just blows up as soon as it's replaced. it's the #1 one out of 9 or so fuses on the panel; I believe it's a 30A one... maybe 20A.

I've taken it to my local RV dealer (non-Airstream) who's been in the business for 50+years to get it winterized. While I was there, I had the guy check it out. After half-a-day, he was stumped and apologized for not being able to find the problem.

I don't know what else to do. I am not "too handy" with these things, so I've taken it to an RV facility to get it checked out. but unsucessful. I don't have a local Airstream dealer, either.

Only thing that has changed is the towing vehicle. Originally, I was towing the trailer with my 2002 Chevy Avalanche. Recently, I've purchased a V8 VW Touareg and have towed the trailer once or twice as I was getting the hitch, brake controller(Tekonsha Envoy) installed.

Any ideas or recommendations? Thank you.
Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Something on that circuit is shorted. So......

Use your wiring diagram or whatever other information you have to identify everything served by that fuse. Turn off or disconnect all of those items and put a new fuse in. If it blows then the wire is shorted somewhere in the trailer. If not, connect one item at a time until it does blow. this will isolate the troublemaker.

A shorted wire in the trailer can be tough, but a competent electrician should be able to figure it out.Patience!

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Hello Z33,
Welcome to the forums, and sorry to hear of your problems.
The first thing I would do would be to call Airsteam, ask to talk to Schu.
Ask him if they have a problem identified with that unit. If not, I would ask him for the specific things that are running from the #1 fuse. Then I would try my best to UNHOOK every one of those items, then, after doing so, see if the fuse still blows. Why not try to find a breaker of the same value, so you won't have to buy so many fuses. The breaker will reset. Now, if the fuse or breaker does not blow, then start hooking things up, one at a time until it does. Either you have just found the bad item, or you just put more cummulative draw on it than what it was designed for. If, however, with all the items unhooked, it still blows, then you have a short somewhere. It could be a pinched wire, a cut wire or wire insulation that has been skinned, etc.
Good luck
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Z33

2005 22' International CCD
Winchester , Virginia
Thank you all for the warm welcoming.

Now, that my trailer has been winterized, I guess I have all the time in the world to play electrical game with it

Thanks for your tech rep recommendation. I will try calling tommorow, hope they are open on a Saturday!
Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
If it's a dead short that blows fuses as soon as they are put in, you can put a 12vdc test lamp across the fuse holder instead of a fuse. It should glow bright. When the short is removed the lamp will go out. At least it will save you some fuses.

Like everyone suggests, unplug what you can get to on the circuit one by one until the short is gone. If it never goes away then it could be a short in the wall
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Save your dime, they are not there on Sat.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
How much did you pay for that Airstream..?

We have a 71. In my humble opinion - just drop it off on the dealers lot you bought it from and tell them you'll pick it up when it's right. Or - tell them you'll take to Jackson Center Ohio and let the factory fix it and charge it back to the dealership.

Simplistic - Yes. Effective - Hopefully.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Z33. As an old automotive quick service tech, [Auto electrician] I have through out my career, found most electrical problems, not all, were caused by the last thing done to to vehicle. In your case, trailer. Besides the tow vehicle, have you drilled any holes, mounted any accessories, or modified anything on your trailer? Radios, flashlights, fire extinguisers, brackets, magazine racks, or anything. Look there first no matter how much you think it has nothing to do with it. Part of my theory is, it worked before, when and why did it quit? Finally, sometimes it is actually a factory defect; A wire that finally rubbed through the insulation.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Welcome friend but lets unhook this trailer for a sec and start from the beginning. What are you now towing this airstream with now?
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow #1 fose blowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z33
Hello all,

I have a 2005 CCD 22' that I got brand new about a year ago. My first Airstream, but my 3rd RV trailer. I should have purchased the Airstream in the first place... I didn't know what I was missing

On my last trip, my CD player, light in the shower and other things stopped working. I've found out that it's a blown fuse. I think I have a short somewhere in the system, because the fuse just blows up as soon as it's replaced. it's the #1 one out of 9 or so fuses on the panel; I believe it's a 30A one... maybe 20A.

I've taken it to my local RV dealer (non-Airstream) who's been in the business for 50+years to get it winterized. While I was there, I had the guy check it out. After half-a-day, he was stumped and apologized for not being able to find the problem.

I don't know what else to do. I am not "too handy" with these things, so I've taken it to an RV facility to get it checked out. but unsucessful. I don't have a local Airstream dealer, either.

Only thing that has changed is the towing vehicle. Originally, I was towing the trailer with my 2002 Chevy Avalanche. Recently, I've purchased a V8 VW Touareg and have towed the trailer once or twice as I was getting the hitch, brake controller(Tekonsha Envoy) installed.

Any ideas or recommendations? Thank you.
Hi and welcome Z33; Since you know which items are not working, here is how you find the problem. With the fuse out of the holder, disconnect all functional items at the ends of that circuit [remove bulbs disconnect the CD player etc]. Arm yourself with Ohmmeter [can be cheap one, a Radio Shack quality which you will need sooner or later]. Get a 20' or so, single wire as a working extension which will allow you to reach the ends of those circuits. Hook that wire to the grounding stud in the fuse panel. Connect one side [black lead of the meter] to that extension wire. Touch the other meter lead to the exposed wires one at the time, to all positive side circuits which are not working. Any reading on any of those wires will indicate a short. You can use a Ohmmeter to find broken grounds as well by touching the negative side wires at the end of each circuit. Bad ground would be indicated by lack of reading. Let's see if we can make a electrician out of you, it is not all that hard. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
PS. Be sure that no Voltage is present in the wire when using Ohmmeter.
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. By all means go to your local Tru Valu or Ace Hardware and buy a good meter. Will cost about $20.00. Keep it in the trailer at all times and whenever you park in a campground use it to check the circuits to make sure the campgrounds power source is OK. many campgrounds have low voltage, reverse polarity, or ground problems which can ruin your electrical system.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #12
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
same problem, different circuit (fixed)

I had a similar problem, but with my GFCI breaker. The culprit was a poorly wired outlet used as a junction box, resulting in intermittent ground.

Although my problem was on a 120VAC circuit, it could be similar for you. If you've not found the culprit after following all the other excellent suggestions, you might want to look behind outlets/devices on the same curcuit. Maybe you'll find a similar "junction box" problem like what I found. It was helpful for me to identify everything that's on that circuit -- it might be related to something you wouldn't expect or check.

Reviewing my 2007 manuals, circuit #1 controls: Bedroom, Bath fans, Storage compartment lights. But be sure to look at the actual label on your circuit panel, placed there at the factory when it was actually wired. Don't forget to check lights in those external-access storage compartments...

Post the fix when you discover it

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:43 AM   #13
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Hey Tim!
Thats a great trouble shooting idea! I never thought of that one.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote