Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Furrion 30A and TV inlet upgrade questions

I'm thinking of replacing/upgrading the (2) 30AMP square plastic Furrion inlets that came original on my trailer with new Furrion round stainless steel inlets and also replacing the square plastic Furrion TV jack inlet with the round Furrion stainless inlet.

Here is a link that has the 30amp stainless type pictured.

Furrion 30A Round Stainless Inlet

Have any of you with a newer style trailer attemped the upgrade?

Did you have any words of wisdom to pass on about doing this upgrade?

Did Airstream leave enough wire behind the original plastic inlet to use for the new ss round inlet hook up?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I have used these Furrion inlets in my builds, almost exclusively. I can see no reason not to use them on a new Airstream.
The TV/Phone inlet requires a phone adapter, which is sort of pricey. But the quality is first class, and they are compatible with the Marinco cables as supplied by Airstream. I like the fact that the Furrion cables come in grey....
In my experience, there is enough wire behind the plastic Marinco unit to easily convert.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
I had considered doing this but wondered if the mounting holes for the SS unit were the same as the unit Airstream installs and also if there would be any marks on the trailer from the old unit that couldn't be cleaned off.

And be aware that the SS unit does not have the light showing that the wiring is correct.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Uwe,
Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear.
Where do you get the phone adaptor?
Part number?
Old 06-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
I had considered doing this but wondered if the mounting holes for the SS unit were the same as the unit Airstream installs and also if there would be any marks on the trailer from the old unit that couldn't be cleaned off.

And be aware that the SS unit does not have the light showing that the wiring is correct.

Yes, I couldn't see the light on the inlet cover of SS version using the online pictures, but on some sites that sell it say it has one. Maybe UWE can answer that for us too. There are a lot of boat places near me so maybe I'll get a chance to see on in person this week then order what I need.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
AL- K4GLU,

Just a follow up about the led light on the inlet cover.

I called a couple of other sellers of the Furrion product today and all had said that there is no light on the SS inlet cover. Apparently, whoever they have stating the details about the items on line are just cutting and pasting the same info from one inlet to another.
Right now I'm just weighing the pros and cons of how important the light is to me.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Marinco

The 30a inlet on my 2006 is Marinco.

Their stainless version looks just like it.
Gander Mountain® > Marinco Stainless Steel Power Inlet - Boating > Electrical & Lighting > Shore Power :

They have another one with a screw-tight cap that looks like it has the same screw pattern:
Gander Mountain® > Marinco Stainless Steel Power Inlet 50-Amps / 125/250V - Boating > Electrical & Lighting > Shore Power :

While you are at it , could let us know how this nice AC outlet cover works out mounted sideways?

Gander Mountain® > Marinco Stainless Steel Weatherproof Cover - Boating > Electrical & Lighting > Shore Power :
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
If anyone is interested in converting to the Furrion Stainless Steel 30A Inlet I stumbled across this today:

Furrion 30 Amp Stainless Steel Inlet - 30 Amp Shorepower by Discount Marine Supplies

At $44.64 plus 9.99 shipping I doubt you'll find it any cheaper.

Disclaimer: Have no connection to this company and have never dealt with them before. But I'm getting ready to order one.

They don't carry the Furrion Cable TV Inlet unfortunately.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
That does look like the best price so far that has shown up. I'll order this today.
I've been spending so much money since I bought my trailer in 2010 that I had to buy a file cabinet to hold all the receipts. One good thing is that the "wish list" is getting smaller as time goes by.
If you see the phone/TV jack on sale some place please speak up. I need one of those too.
Thanks!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
The best prices I found were Defender for the electrical and vintagetrailersupply.com for the TV/Cable. I also found a ~$40 SS electrical outlet cover at Menards.com. Cheaper than Marinco, horizontal and less work than stripping and buffing the painted one from Home Depot. If it is good quality and looking on the trailer I will follow up with pics and details
matthorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I used the 30 amp chrome/ss on the two power inlets and the matching model on the CATV input. I'm replacing ALL the cheap covers on my trailer. Already added the SS furnace cover, HW heater cover, vent cover, and just ordered the SS outdoor shower assembly. All that will be left is the water compartment. I sprayed it silver and it looks better, but I'd do SS if I could find one.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
BAB,

Did you also replace the 110v socket and cover outside curb side of trailer yet?

I'm looking for that type of cover in SS since mine is just a gray plastic frame and cover.

Any suggestions for a replacement?

I like the one in post #7 but the hinge is on the wrong side for me. I need a hinge on the long side.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
BAB,

Did you also replace the 110v socket and cover outside curb side of trailer yet?

I'm looking for that type of cover in SS since mine is just a gray plastic frame and cover.

Any suggestions for a replacement?

I like the one in post #7 but the hinge is on the wrong side for me. I need a hinge on the long side.
Try this. Several different including one that locks.

Search Results for "stainless steel electrical outlet cover" at Menards
Old 07-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Try this. Several different including one that locks.

Search Results for "stainless steel electrical outlet cover" at Menards

Very nice. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Be sure you order the right model - duplex has the two oval holes with screw in the middle and decorator has a single large rectangular hole.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthorr View Post
Be sure you order the right model - duplex has the two oval holes with screw in the middle and decorator has a single large rectangular hole.

I almost ordered one tonight and then thought I''d check the thread again.
Good thing.
I didn't realize there was a difference. I'll swing by the trailer in the morning and see which one will work for me.
Phew, that was close.
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I just installed the upgraded Stainless Steel Furrion 30A and Cable/TV inlets. It took about 10 mins apiece taking my time.

I bought #8x1-1/4" SS oval head screws - the old inlets had panheads that don't sit flush in the new inlets.

No issues with the install except for one screw that wouldn't tighten up - the hole must be elongated. I will go back and try a #10 screw but I'm not sure the hole in the inlet is large enough... in the meantime, I applied enough sealant to make sure water can't get in.

For my 2012 model, AS did not cut the 2-3/4" hole for the cable input - they only cut a hole large enough to pass the cable through. No issue - you just don't use the backshell and strain relief. But, if you buy the phone & TV inlet, the hole might not match up.

On monday I get the SS 110V outlet from Menard's to install on the curbside. Then I just have to wait for AS to make a SS water filler door and my war against plastic will be won!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Cable Input.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	192349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front 30A.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	192350  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Main 30A & TV.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	192351  
Old 08-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
That looks much better.
I received part of my order and am awaiting some outlets also. The pics are a nice touch and really shows the improvement. Can't wait to get all my stuff so I can get started. The tips you provided are helpful as I'm sure I'll run into the same things.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Just got the SS Electrical Outlet Cover from Menards. Have installed it and it definitely looks better than the thing Airstream uses but not overly thrilled with the overall look. Anyway for those who worry about such things the following notice was in the box:

"Not for use in areas defined by the National Electrical Code as wet location or damp location."

Might take this into account if you decide to get one. I have one of the cast aluminum covers that was covered in another thread several years ago and if I can get it polished like some of the pics I've seen it'll go back on the trailer. I think overall it looks better - and it's designed for outdoors use.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthorr View Post
I just installed the upgraded Stainless Steel Furrion 30A and Cable/TV inlets. It took about 10 mins apiece taking my time.

I bought #8x1-1/4" SS oval head screws - the old inlets had panheads that don't sit flush in the new inlets.

No issues with the install except for one screw that wouldn't tighten up - the hole must be elongated. I will go back and try a #10 screw but I'm not sure the hole in the inlet is large enough... in the meantime, I applied enough sealant to make sure water can't get in.

For my 2012 model, AS did not cut the 2-3/4" hole for the cable input - they only cut a hole large enough to pass the cable through. No issue - you just don't use the backshell and strain relief. But, if you buy the phone & TV inlet, the hole might not match up.

On monday I get the SS 110V outlet from Menard's to install on the curbside. Then I just have to wait for AS to make a SS water filler door and my war against plastic will be won!
Those look great!