Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1995 34' Excella
Atlanta , Georgia
Furrion 30 Amp Shore Power Inlet

Hey all,
We just got our new 1995 34' Excella 1000 and I'm getting ready to replace the stock plastic 30 Amp power inlet with a new stainless steel Furrion inlet. I've seen that several people on the forums have done this, but there is one potentially important issue that I haven't seen addressed. In the instructions for the outlet it specifically says to "tighten terminal screws to 14-16 in-lbs torque." I haven't seen anyone address this or say anything about it. Is this important? Is 14-16 in-lbs hand tightening? I've found torque screwdrivers online, but don't know how important this is. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff
vincaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Definitely follow the instructions. Too loose, vibration and use can cause poor connection with terminal and wire which can cause lots of issues... none good.

Too tight, can damage the screw threads causing possible loosening and poor contact as mentioned above.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1995 34' Excella
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Definitely follow the instructions. Too loose, vibration and use can cause poor connection with terminal and wire which can cause lots of issues... none good.

Too tight, can damage the screw threads causing possible loosening and poor contact as mentioned above.
That's my thought as well but I haven't found ANY mention of it from anyone else who has replaced with a Furrion inlet. I think I'll be safe and just order the torque screw driver.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:26 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
More important is to apply a little dab of electric joint grease to prevent oxidation which rrsults in high resistance which results in heat which results in melting then fire.
tighten the screws tight but not to the point you strip the screw heads! Common sense
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
I installed mine hand tight with a conventional screwdriver. Two years, 1000s of miles and 0 problems.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
I installed mine hand tight with a conventional screwdriver. Two years, 1000s of miles and 0 problems.
I did the same - did not use a torque screwdriver but also did not "crank down with all my might". Besides 14-16 inch pounds is not very tight - just a little over snug which is what I did anyway.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
I don't know of any electrician who uses a torque driver to tighten terminal screws. Sounds to me like the mfg is just engaging in CYA. Tighten till snug and call it good.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
These things are designed so the inlet will last better than the spring loaded female end of the cord. Be sure & protect the inlet connectors like Atomic#13 wrote. May as well do the same for the cord's connectors. ��
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
14-16 inch-pounds is not all that extreme. Electricians tighten terminals all day long without a torque screwdriver. Certainly buy the special driver if it makes you comfortable, but most men without arthritic hands can turn a screw driver to 16 in-lb. It's just really tight!! As for over-tightening, the risk is you strip the head. That's easily managed.
My opinion only, but I would skip the torque driver unless you have need of it for other projects.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi, I've installed two of these units, one each on both of my trailers. I think they are very good. I totally ignored the torque spec on the wire lugs. The shore power cord is stranded wire. It has been my experience that stranded wire compresses, squishes around, especially when assembling the covers and the like. I like the connections at the lugs very tight so when I pull hard on the wire is won't come loose. I make sure there are no "loose strands" hanging around when I'm done. I might add that loose connections can build resistance and get hot, a major cause of electrical fires.

On the trailer side, you will probably be connecting to solid copper wire. This is easier to get tight.

One thing I was surprised on is the fact that the Furion inlets I purchased was a "twist lock" design. So I had to replace the plug on the shore power cord too. I didn't realize that when I purchased it.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1995 34' Excella
Atlanta , Georgia
Hey David,
When you're talking about a "twist lock" cord, do you just mean the power cords that have threaded screw on covers on them, or something else? Do you have any suggestions for the brand?

Jeff
Old 01-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincaroo View Post
Hey David,
When you're talking about a "twist lock" cord, do you just mean the power cords that have threaded screw on covers on them, or something else? Do you have any suggestions for the brand?

Jeff
Try this....

Go to the video on youtube for links for where we purchased...been super happy with it.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi vincaroo: I didn't watch the video. I'm on a data plan and have to watch my data usage less my wife kicks me in the shins.

My Furion power inlet "male" plug is a "twist lock" design. Twist lock is appropriate for a trailer shore power cord. It won't come unplugged if someone trips on the cord. Look at your Furion inlet ground spade, it might be "L" shaped. A standard connect female end with straight blades will not fit into this Furion adaptor.

I overlooked this feature when I purchased my Furion, so I had to purchase a new power cord female connector for about $35. Here is Vintage Trailer Supply link to the Furion twist lock components.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/category-s/67.htm

It was just one of those things I overlooked when purchasing my Furion. Maybe yours is the standard straight blade configuration.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1995 34' Excella
Atlanta , Georgia
Hello,

ASnerd, the smartplug looks really cool, and I'm sure it works well, but I've already bought the furrion round stainless steel inlet, so I've got to find something that will allow the plug to "twist" in.
David, I had to do some searching as several of the cord sets have been discontinued, but managed to find a 25 foot titanium cord on Amazon that looks like it should work. Thanks for the help with that. Would've been mighty disappointing to install the new inlet only to find that I didn't have a plug that would work with it....lol.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincaroo View Post
Hello,

ASnerd, the smartplug looks really cool, and I'm sure it works well, but I've already bought the furrion round stainless steel inlet, so I've got to find something that will allow the plug to "twist" in.
David, I had to do some searching as several of the cord sets have been discontinued, but managed to find a 25 foot titanium cord on Amazon that looks like it should work. Thanks for the help with that. Would've been mighty disappointing to install the new inlet only to find that I didn't have a plug that would work with it....lol.

Jeff
No worries - regarding the plug you are looking for make your own at whatever length - http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/furri...ct-item_300960

Old 01-15-2017, 05:56 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1995 34' Excella
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks much for the link to the Furrion parts and adapters. That could work out really well!